Hotels in Barcelona in the Gothic area

karinad

Does anyone have any suggestions of a hotel in the Gothic old town near the square area? It sounds like where we'd like to stay. I remember walking around in this area back in 2001. I believe there is a cathedral around there. We'd like to stay below $130. a night.

Thanks!

You will struggle to find a hotel for that price in the centre of Barcelona. However, this will also be affected by when you want to go - it will be cheaper if you are booking for many months away and prices also tend to be more expensive on a weekend.

Rather than look for answers on here I would go to Trip Advisor and type in your requirements - hotel in Barri Gotic/Ramblas area and your budget and see what comes up. You can sometimes get a cheaper rate by booking direct with the hotel

I love Air BNB for renting apartments and have found several in that area. When I'm traveling it's generally me alone or with a friend and I've always found something under that price. Same thing - enter price, location and amenities you want.

If you are staying a couple of day's go with air BnB. Other wise try booking.c

***** or one of those sites. I use booking mainly because the price you see is the price you pay unlike a lot of other sites that add fee on.

We are staying in a hotel the first night we get there in Oct then we move over to a Apt for 4 days both are in the gothic area.

Leigh

I've come across a hotel that says that the balcony overlooks the square in the center. It's called El Jardi. It's very bare bones but each room has it's own bathroom. It gets good reviews mainly for it's location, plus, it does say it's clean. The rooms range from $88 to about $125.

We will be going in Oct. Has anyone heard or seen this one on their travels?

We are staying at the Mercer Hotel for 3 nights before catching our Seabourn cruise. Historic and small - it sounds like lots of stuff close by sober can walk...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looks like a nice one, but a little out of our price range. Have a great cruise! We're going on the Celebrity Equinox in Oct.

We stayed in the Hotel Colon overlooking the Square and Old Cathedral. It was a number of years ago but it was a very nice, clean room overlooking the square with a Juliet balcony. Staff was very friendly and turned us on to an excellent guide with a mini van that took our group to the Monastery at Montserrat. They also recommended a great seafood restaurant.

We stayed in Hotel Catalonia Avinyo for one night after our cruise at 111 Euro for the night. It was very nice and I think very near where you want to be

Thanks to the OP for asking and thanks to above poster. We too were looking in the same area. I was finding very high rates (Easter next spring). Just booked this hotel - Hotel Catalonoa Avinyo - for 4 nights about 460.00 USD. I can cancel it also for that price. Reviews were mostly good and "would stay again" type. Biggest complaints were it is small. I've been to Europe so I understand that. I don't know about you guys, but don't plan to be in the room long. I plan to SEE BARCELONA!

Thanks to the OP for asking and thanks to above poster. We too were looking in the same area. I was finding very high rates (Easter next spring). Just booked this hotel - Hotel Catalonoa Avinyo - for 4 nights about 460.00 USD. I can cancel it also for that price. Reviews were mostly good and "would stay again" type. Biggest complaints were it is small. I've been to Europe so I understand that. I don't know about you guys, but don't plan to be in the room long. I plan to SEE BARCELONA!

You're welcome! A lot of the hotels say that they're in the Gothic area, but they're not really where we want to be. I have a couple booked, like El Jardi and it gets good reviews and it is where I want, but it's very bare bones and because it's ending our vacation, I'd like to end it on a nicer note. I have also booked The Continental, which is considered the Gothic Area, but it's on the Ramblas. To upgrade to the nicer room would take the rate to over $160. They do have free snacks, breakfast items, drinks including wine. The hotels I booked could be canceled.

We stayed in the Hotel Colon overlooking the Square and Old Cathedral. It was a number of years ago but it was a very nice, clean room overlooking the square with a Juliet balcony. Staff was very friendly and turned us on to an excellent guide with a mini van that took our group to the Monastery at Montserrat. They also recommended a great seafood restaurant.

We stayed there last year on the recommendation of a CC friend. So glad we did :)

They have varying prices. I think we got our room (and it wasn't the cheapest) for around !50 euros.

Might be a tad over what you are looking for but it is WORTH looking at.

Depends upon the time of year you are going and how far in advance you book.

They had very nice advance booking rates and our room was a lot cheaper than what was shown later on the website (I always check in case prices come down).

No prepayment necessary - but the option was there.

It's worth a look ;)

We stayed there last year on the recommendation of a CC friend. So glad we did :)

They have varying prices. I think we got our room (and it wasn't the cheapest) for around !50 euros.

Might be a tad over what you are looking for but it is WORTH looking at.

Depends upon the time of year you are going and how far in advance you book.

They had very nice advance booking rates and our room was a lot cheaper than what was shown later on the website (I always check in case prices come down).

No prepayment necessary - but the option was there.

It's worth a look ;)

We stayed at Hotel Colon last October and had a less than stellar experience. I would never stay there again, whatever the price. There are much nicer hotels in the near vicinity and for less a price - for instance Catalonia Catedral which is just around the corner - unfortunately still outside the budget the OP is looking for

Funny how everyone has different experiences with the hotels. Some people say that they don't care how it looks as long as it's clean, just like picking an inside or balcony on a cruise. My feeling is that it matters a lot. I have to have a balcony when we cruise even if we're not out on it all the time. I like a hotel that's nice and clean, of course.

I have seen some good non-refundable rates for some of the hotels mentioned, but, I think I'll wait until closer to going and see if the rates drop or book the non-refundable since we'd be closer. I do have 2 hotels booked at a good rate and they look nice, but they're not exactly in the area I want.

I do appreciate the suggestions and do look at them all. It's kind of driving me crazy!

We too were recomended to the Hotel Colon by a distant relative who has stayed there a number of times. For the dates we need it, it is 210.00 a night USD. THAT IS HIGHER THAN i wanted and I found something more like 115.00. It had good reviews too.

I get a kick out of reading the reviews hotels, cruises, restaurants.

We stayed at Hotel Colon last October and had a less than stellar experience. I would never stay there again, whatever the price. There are much nicer hotels in the near vicinity and for less a price - for instance Catalonia Catedral which is just around the corner - unfortunately still outside the budget the OP is looking for

what a shame. We had a small issue and management was quick to respond and "make it right". that goes a long way with me.

Actually we didn't care for the Catalonia so it just goes to show ;)

We have been to Barcelona numerous times. It might not be out of reach of the OP depending on early booking prices. We didn't take the cheapest room.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Always a disappointment when things aren't as they should be for sure.