First Cruise - Advice Needed

experiencetheworld

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and also new to the cruising world.

I am looking at going on my first Cruise from Southampton to the Norwegian Fjords with P&O.

I have been told that this cruise, will suit first time cruisers and its been my dream to see the Fjords.

Now a couple of questions:

1 - Do I go for a room with a balcony or suite ?

2 - Which month is best to experience the Fjords - May or September?

3 - Any advice for a first time cruiser?

4 - Any advice for excursions around Norway?

Thank you so much in advance

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and also new to the cruising world.

I am looking at going on my first Cruise from Southampton to the Norwegian Fjords with P&O.

I have been told that this cruise, will suit first time cruisers and its been my dream to see the Fjords.

Now a couple of questions:

1 - Do I go for a room with a balcony or suite ?

2 - Which month is best to experience the Fjords - May or September?

3 - Any advice for a first time cruiser?

4 - Any advice for excursions around Norway?

Thank you so much in advance

Sorry, but we haven't done a cruise to the Fjords, but wanted to say 'welcome' to cruising and CC............ you do know that once you go on a cruise you will never be happy on a land holiday. :):D

Re advice for a first time cruiser.

1: Make sure that you have a cabin with cabins above and below you to make sure it is quiet.

2: Get a box of wine (if you drink) to take on board and keep in your fridge.

3: Take extra memory cards for the camera !

4: For your first cruise I would say that you book P&O excursions (to make sure that you get back on the ship) but others will disagree

And more importantly, just go and have a great time.

To partly answer one of the questions: I would always urge people to have a balcony, it makes so much difference (clearly, since the non-balcony cabins are always full, not everyone agrees). Suites are nice, but it has to be a judgement about whether the extra benefits (see P&O literature/web site) and cost represent value for money to you. We sometimes take mini-suites or Superior Deluxe cabins, which are a bit of a compromise.

A balcony cabin is all you need.

I would prefer May to September as there will be more snow on the mountains and longer daylight hours to see the scenery.

Don't feel the need to take an excursion at every port. Some are quite pleasant just to walk around if you have not been there before. Be aware that Norway is very expensive.

Brian

I agree, a balcony would be best. Sure you can go on the public decks to view the sights as you sail by, but sometimes its nice just to sit back and watch it all in your own little seculded spot.

And welcome to the forum. :)

Great on that balcony sailing in or away --- nice to order cabin service for breakfast and watch it all go past. Stress free ......... ahhhhhhh wish we were there now.

Thanks for the great advice everyone :)

I am excited to be going on a cruise and feel that the Norwegian Fjords will be the best cruise to start my cruising adventure off.

I am now thinking possibly a Super Deluxe Balcony will be better than a Suite. I am looking at a P&O Cruise on the Britannia B711.

Has anyone got some hints and tips for a first time cruiser?

I don't think we will do a lot of excursions and will probably do our own thing. However any tips on the Ports I will be, will again be great.

Ports visiting: Stavanger, Flaam, Sognefjord No, Olden & Bergen

Thank you for all your kindness x

Hi and welcome to CC.

I am going to disagree and say that all you need for a week in the fjords is a window, or even an inside. In my opinion, the scenery is so spectacular you need an all-round view of it and that is best seen on deck. Get up early and experience the blissful silence of the fjords as the ship slowly glides past the mountains. And on such a port-heavy week, you won't have time to enjoy a balcony. I would suggest May is best - for the apple blossom.

Most Norwegian ports can easily be explored on foot on your own, but the Flam Railway is worth the expense - and beware Norway is notoriously expensive! Bergen and Stavanger - don't bother with tours. Olden you really need to do something as there isn't much at Olden itself.

Most of all - enjoy - you will soon be booking your second, and third ................

Edited by Host Sharon

If you want to use the Flaam railway, you can book on line which will be cheaper than booking on the ship. Don't book too early in case the ship is a little late getting in. Alternatively, you could get off the ship as soon as it docks and book your ticket at the station.

https://www.visitflam.com/en/se-og-gjore/se/flamsbana-the-flam-railway/

The station is about 100 yards from where the ship docks.

Brian

Consider an aft balcony cabin views from both sides then. We love them just make sure cabins above and below. Agree May rather than September. Bergen has a funicular railway that's easy to DIY. Olden very pretty to wander.

Brittania great been on her twice. Enjoy all the research and ask away there's always someone to help😀😀

Consider an aft balcony cabin views from both sides then. We love them just make sure cabins above and below. Agree May rather than September. Bergen has a funicular railway that's easy to DIY. Olden very pretty to wander.

Brittania great been on her twice. Enjoy all the research and ask away there's always someone to help😀😀

Sorry as I am new to this, it may be silly question.

But when you say "Consider an aft balcony cabin views from both sides then" what do you mean by this?

Is there any particular cabins you think will be best for the views etc?

Thanks

I am grateful for all the advice that you're giving me.

Is it worth paying to have portrait photos? if so how many have you purchased before 2,5 or 10?

Portrait Package - Each night there are portrait opportunities in locations throughout the ship and there’s no charge for sittings. Before the end of your holiday, pick your favourite two, five or ten to take home.

Thanks again everyone :)

Sorry as I am new to this, it may be silly question.

But when you say "Consider an aft balcony cabin views from both sides then" what do you mean by this?

Is there any particular cabins you think will be best for the views etc?

Thanks

Not silly at all. With an aft balcony cabin, when you are sailing in and out of the fjords you will be able to see both sides of the fjord from the back of the ship - a kind of panoramic view, whereas if you are on a balcony on one side of the ship, you will only see one side of the fjords. So look at the deck plans ( google Britannia deck plans pdf) and try and chose a cabin at the "back" of the ship ....but bear in mind these are not superior deluxe cabins, but standard "balcony with shower and sofa" The only other cabins at the aft are suites.

If you decide that a superior deluxe is the one for you , suggest you do NOT chose one on A deck as you may get noise from the open decks above. B or C deck will be better.

Hope that helps!

I think a balcony cabin wins hands down. When you go to bed, leave the curtains open, and when you awake next morning your first sight will be mountains and waterfalls passing your windows. An early morning cup of tea in bed watching as you glide along the tranquil waters in the fjords is bliss!!

A different excursion in Bergen is to visit the home of Edvard Grieg, the composer. Book via the tourist office, about half the price of with P & O, and it includes a short recital of some of his popular compositions, in a small concert hall overlooking the cabin where the music was written. Just Magical!!

Honestly I can't thank you enough, your words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

I am now trying to decide if I should book a Super Deluxe Balcony Cabin (which looks to be in the middle of the ship) or a Balcony Cabin at the Aft...

I suppose that's going to be the tough decision.

Just wondering as well to book a portrait package for 2,5 or 10 photos, and if its worth the cost.

Whichever cabin you decide on, just remember you won't get much sleep!

In Late May it was still light at 10.30p.m. And was light again around 4.30, so you have so much time to enjoy the glorious scenery as you transit the fiords.

You will have a fabulous cruise, probably the first of many!!

In my view, the cabins on Britannia are smaller than on other P&O ships (a way of getting so many on board!) and on that particular ship, the bigger Superior cabins are a good idea, I think. Certainly avoid A deck for the reasons quoted, and you might also like to avoid being near a lauderette or lift space if you are likely to be disturbed by too many people talking outside your door.

You will find the ship's photographers will want to snap you as you get on board, at several dinners, on shore trips, etc. You then have the choice to buy any or none of these - depending on what you want, this might be an alternative to formal portraits.

Welcome to the world of cruising :-)

1 - it entirely depends on your budget. If you can afford to book one, a suite may be a great experience, however, it depends on your priorities; you could use your budget for the cruise on the suite alone or get a cheaper cabin ie. A balcony and spend more on specialty restaurants, excursions etc. As others have said a Deluxe balcony sits somewhere in the middle of a regular balcony and a suite. Remember that Britannia has much shallower balconies however.

If you don't know how well you cope with rough seas you should probably try and choose a cabin that is low down in the ship, fairly midship, but is sandwiched with "residential" decks above and below.

2 - I would say September. In April/May the climate is only just warming up, and around September/October it will be cooling down. So I believe September is your best bet if you want warmer weather. If you want snow May would be the best bet as others have said.

3 - GO FOR THE SELECT PRICE! You get a choice of onboard spend, free parking, or coach transfers. The coach transfers are worth £300+ for us so we always go for the transfers. Also, you can select your cabin and your dining reservations on the select fare. Of course it depends on the difference between select and saver but select saves time, money and stress for us.

4 - I've never been to the Fjords so I've not done these things, but if you're in Bergen, maybe try the Floibanen; I've never been on it as I say but my parents have and have recommended it, and just looking it up it looks magnificent. Again, I'm afraid I'm talking with no experience. :p A cruise around Norway is on the cards in a couple of years when my eldest has finished her A-Levels and my youngest has finished his GCSE's so you'll have to drop by and let us know how it goes if you go ahead with the cruise.

Make sure to go in with an open mind and enjoy yourself and you should get cruise fever like the rest of us ;)

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by danielundecided

Photos are very expensive so unless you want one of every formal night, I'd only buy the best as a memento. They will take lots - embarkation, one every formal night, at the dinner table, disembarking in port. You don't HAVE to buy them all. Just select those you really want.

We did the Britannia to the Fjords in April this year and had an inside cabin. In our case it was down to cost rather than choice but it turned out just fine. Besides sleeping we only spent an hour a day in the cabin for showers and getting changed as there was so much to see and do on Britannia. We are going again next year and again booked an inside cabin but this time knowing we will hardly use it.

As for excursions we only booked the train journey which I was disappointed with. We were packed in like sardines and the only views I saw was on a woman's iPad screen as she took pictures out of the window. However the two hour coach journey back to the ship was just wonderful with views to remember the rest of your life. The guide on the coach was a local lady who explained everything and nothing was too much trouble. Lunch up in the mountains was very nice indeed. The cost of the train journey was worth it just for the coach trip back to the ship in my opinion. Next year we are doing our own thing with excursions as all the ports are easy to do on foot and the Britannia is hardly ever out of sight so you you won't be late back.

Have a great time and it was our first cruise and we are hooked already with 2017 booked and 2018 being looked at now 😊

You will love it 👍

In Olden there is the glacier to see - you can get buses that pull up outside the ship but for piece of mind you might want to go on the P&O trip. There is also a little land train that pulls up once the ship docks.

If you do the Flam train the right hand side is the best side for the views!

In Bergen as we went early season the Funicular wasn't crowded at all - and we didn't rush there! It was busy at the top when the ship's excursion arrived but soon went quiet when they all went again :D

We went late April into May and it was VERY cold - we loved it and the people were very friendly but just be aware to take warm coats etc!

As for being a first time cruiser - when you first step on the ship the only place people can go for food is the buffet the first afternoon - don't be put off if it seems a scrum! After the first few hours it does calm down and people do spread out around the ship :)

As for being expensive - Norway is but we would wait til we got back on ship for food and drink :D

Most of all - ENJOY! :D

Edited by P&O SUE

I would highly recommend the P and O trip to the Briksdal Glacier from Olden. If you are fairly fit you can walk up and you will never forget it. There are buses available in port for lower cost but the ship's excursion is very well organised and gets you back with time to look around the village.

Your first cruise? How exciting! Beware - it is very addictive

Personally I think you have chosen well with a one week trip to the fiords. The seas are unlikely to bother you, you have only 7 nights on board should you unaccountably hate it and you're going to see the fiords, for goodness sake, so that aspect is bound to be a breathtaking experience.

I think we have been to the fiords 3 times. We have always had an inside cabin, the first time because that was all we could afford but subsequent cruises we made a conscious choice, having realised that, on 'cold' trips, we genuinely only use the cabin to sleep, shower and store our things.

We have been in September and enjoyed lovely weather, and June where we had one fine and one wet trip. Lots of people say the climate is like the Lake District in many respects - could be lovely, could be very damp; plan for both.

The P&O walking tour of Bergen was very enjoyable, included the funicular and increased our understanding of the city and of Norway quite considerably.

I have 2 pieces of advice

- don't believe/go along with all the things you will read on forums. I had genuine cold feet after booking our first; it appeared we had made a big mistake and Ventura was populated by mindless oiks and service levels were through the floor. Not so, at all. I really wonder about some people and why they coninue coming back for more - unless it is so that they can continue their fault-finding and moaning

- relax and enjoy it. Don't stress about protocols and dress codes and tipping; just go with the flow

I have 2 pieces of advice

- don't believe/go along with all the things you will read on forums. I had genuine cold feet after booking our first; it appeared we had made a big mistake and Ventura was populated by mindless oiks and service levels were through the floor. Not so, at all. I really wonder about some people and why they coninue coming back for more - unless it is so that they can continue their fault-finding and moaning

- relax and enjoy it. Don't stress about protocols and dress codes and tipping; just go with the flow

Very good advice as I had my doubts about booking as well but all negative comments about Britannia were completely wrong in my opinion. So much so that we are off again to the Fjords next year.