Travel Insurance question

jeanlyon

I have just had an ECG and CT Angiogram just to make sure I don't have angina. The answer is I am absolutely fine and the tight chest was due to acid reflux.

So, do I have to tell my insurer that I had the tests now that I know they are normal?

I have just had an ECG and CT Angiogram just to make sure I don't have angina. The answer is I am absolutely fine and the tight chest was due to acid reflux.

So, do I have to tell my insurer that I had the tests now that I know they are normal?

I think it depends on your insurance company. If I were you I would check your policy. With my insurance it doesn't matter what the issue is, as long as i'm fit to travel, i'm covered.

I think if you phone up your insurers and tell them you had acid reflux the other day but the doctors decided to run ECG and CT angiogram tests and excluded the possibility of you having Angina which you are pleased about.

You will have covered all bases and the insurers will not likely have any cause to load your premium. They will also know about your acid reflux history for what it is worth.

Regards John.

Edited by john watson

Jean, at the time of arranging insurance for our last cruise, my husband was undergoing tests for what could have been quite a serious illness. We informed the insurance company and they said, OK, we will make a note of it, and let us know what happens. In the end he got the all clear, the cause turned out to be something non-serious and very unlikely to deteriorate or cause long-term health problems. He got a letter to that effect from his consultant, sent it to the insurance company and they were perfectly happy with that. No extra premiums, no weighting, stuck to the quote they had originally given us. Perhaps if you have (or can obtain) a document to prove you have been given the all clear, this would satisfy your insurance company. After all, you are keeping them informed, but also making it clear that there is nothing serious wrong with you (although I know acid reflux is painful and unpleasant).

I renewed our annual travel insurance last week and because my renewal wasnt applicable because it stated no medical conditions which has changed recently. Contacted my insurance company by phone spoke to advisor and told him all the tests at hospital I have had which turned out clear he said as long as all clear there was no problem they were only interested in diagnosed medical problems. So if all your tests were clear it should not affect your premium but best to inform them. In the end the new policy with the one diagnosed medical condition meant that my policy comparing with my renewal letter with no medical condition increased by 1 pence :).

I am with John Watson on this one, the consequences of not keeping travel

insurance fully informed of medical history could be horrendous. As stated they will be very thorough in an effort to find a reason not to pay out for what is likely to be a very expensive claim. To advise you to stay quiet is quite frankly stupid but ultimately its your call. Good luck and lets hope you never have to claim whatever your decision.

Without doubt you must advise your insurance company of the events.

We have existing conditions and have to call the insurance company to discuss our current medical status just prior to the annual renewal.

At the last renewal the agent reminded me that any investigation and/or treatment must be advised to the company so that a) they are aware, and b) they can make an informed judgement on cover. Failure to inform could cause problems should you make a claim.

By informing them you will be fully compliant with their terms and conditions, and you will not be worrying about the situation.

Yes thats what worries me. I am in a real quandary. I am cruising in 2 weeks.

Just tell them and then you are covered. From past experiences with insurance companies they will do what they can to get out of claims!

Good news re the tests though ! Try to concentrate on this good news and not worry so much about the insurance. Really pleased for you - go and have a fabulous time :)

I had an abcess removed 6 weeks prior to my cruise, all was ok and healed with no problems thereafter. I phoned my insurance company, they said no problem they put it on my record, then they charged me an extra £40 to add that condition, plus £10 for making changes to the policy. But at least it put my mind at rest if I needed any further treatment whilst away. They always ask if you are awaiting to see a consultant or awaiting test results for any other condition as standard.

My recent annual renewal with Aviva for my worldwide travel insurance for 57yr old couple. My medical record clear and wife high blood pressure was £94-44 rang told them I had to have recently CT scan, blood tests, PSA test (prostate cancer) due to blood in urine. Everything clear diagnosed with enlarged prostate gland (common problem for men over 50) and taking 1 tablet a day said no problem new quote £94-45 an increase of 1p.

I think that's wise jean. Our insurers want to know about any medical condition/hospital visits/tests which have occurred within the last year when they do the screening. They added a note that I'd had to have antibiotics for a tooth infection - didn't charge anything for that or hospital tests with a negative outcome either. But as others have said, even if you don't have a problem with that condition, they may use the fact that you haven't declared everything as a 'get out' clause for something else.

You will travel with peace of mind if you've gone through them and are sure you're fully covered. Enjoy your trip.

Both of us are covered for our conditions with our travel insurance. Both of those conditions do not require us to inform them, they are covered automatically. However, to make sure that we are covered for any eventuality we always advise then of any visit to our GP for even the slightest thing, whether medication was prescribed or not.

Some idiots think that they are invincible and travel without having a serious, if past condition, not included; not the OP, they asked a very good question, to which they have received sensible advice and have acted on that advice.

In all our years of cruising we have only had to cancel once and there was no problem in claiming as we had been honest about declaring everything.

Well just to update you, I today received the results of my ECG, Echo-cardiogram and CT angiogram (phew!) and all results are normal. So I telephone my travel insurer to inform them that I had the tests and they said they didn't' need to know that unless I had been diagnosed with a new condition! All very interesting.

PS, my syptoms of tight chest were probably caused by burning my oesaphagus with hot tea, a fact that I had forgotten when I saw the doc! Ha ha.

Very good news that all is well Jean. Enjoy your cruise to the full!

By the way, I still think it is the best thing to tell your insurers, whether they say you need to or not. These companies are VERY good at saying "Oh, we don't need to know that", until you actually claim for something, then it becomes a case of "Oh, you can't claim because you didn't inform us that you were having those tests/potentially suffer from that condition/have changed your medication". The less wriggle room they have, the better. Cynical, moi?

Edited by groovechick
Addition

Well just to update you, I today received the results of my ECG, Echo-cardiogram and CT angiogram (phew!) and all results are normal. So I telephone my travel insurer to inform them that I had the tests and they said they didn't' need to know that unless I had been diagnosed with a new condition! All very interesting.

PS, my syptoms of tight chest were probably caused by burning my oesaphagus with hot tea, a fact that I had forgotten when I saw the doc! Ha ha.

That is exactly the same as what Aviva told me shen I renewed 2 weeks ago they were only interested in diagnosed conditions not what tests Ihad as long as they were clear.