Expectation of Privacy

Tina.w12

We have recently returned from a cruise on the Oriana, around the British Isles.

I was shocked that on the last evening that items had been removed from 1 of the drawers and placed in a bag on the coffee table.

I had already packed and the cases had gone but I had not forgotten these items, I planed on removing them in the morning to my carry on case.

The stewardess was not around in the morning, but I had to go to reception as I had not received a copy of my on board account. When I mentioned it to the receptionist, he asked if I had locked the drawers!!!As there are not any locks on the drawers I think this would have been difficult!, and I was told that this was standard practice which I am very shocked by.

These items were not valuable and therefore not in the safe.

I find this very difficult to believe that this is acceptable behaviour.

Perhaps they thought you had forgotten them and that they were going you a favour?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What I don't like is that they even opened the drawers before I disembarked, I would expect to use the facilities as I saw fit up until I left. If they are allowed to go into my personal things at any time, I am most shocked. This really put a downer on the end of my cruise.

I had a similar experience some years ago on Ventura. Early on disembarkation morning, having got up and finished packing hand luggage. We left our spare car keys, car parking ticket and some cash which was to be an additional tip for our room stewardess, together with my husbands morning (after food)medication on the bed. It was 7am and as we did not have to vacate the room for an hour, decided to leave it all there and go and get breakfast.

We returned at 7:30 to find our room door held open by a door wedge, our hand luggage bags and laptop bag, could easily have been taken if there had been a dishonest passerby! Our bed was stripped and our belongings dumped on the chair, the tablets were missing. No sign of the stewardess so I complained to reception and was told I should have placed the Do not disturb card in the door, if I did not want anyone entering. They really were not interested and could not understand why I was upset about the situation.

I have learnt from that situation, and now know communication is the key. I let my steward know that I will be having a shower on the morning of disembarkation, so I would like him to leave my shower supplies in situ. If I have anything in the fridge that needs to stay there, rather than be placed on the counter the night before, I let them know. I always use the do Not Disturb card on the last morning!

I totally understand why this has upset you, but I know that stewards like to get a head start on their busy turn around day, and in fairness with your other luggage having been placed out already, probably wanted to make sure you had not forgotten the items. On embarkation we once found one night stand full of someone's folded clothes, I bet they wish the steward had checked and left it on the bed.

Edited by Pink-belle

I suspect a cabin steward in the first few weeks of his very first contract. The pressure on turn around days is enormous. It's even common practise for some cabin stewards to "hire" a colleague to help out. Guess this guy was getting worried already the night before and wanted a head start. I think they average about 18-20 cabins per person and if you walk around the ship around 8am you will be shocked by the state of some of them and I believe they all need to be ready in a few hours. First impression is important and you don't want people waiting all day in the buffet on day one. Do not disturb sign is the way to go.

I think this is absolutely appalling! Your items should only be touched by you or others in your cabin, not by staff members! It is an invasion of privacy and is totally out of order.

We had a small experience of this sometime ago, but I cannot remember when, or exactly what it was, but I do know that I was extremely angry, as was my husband.

I never bother Reception with anything as they totally useless. You could have seen the Loyalty person, but finding them on the last morning may have been difficult, and is the last thing you want to be doing.

I totally understand how upsetting this is and, if I was you, I would be complaining in the strongest terms to P&O.

I'm not surprised. On disembarkation morning the staff are concentrating on the new arriving passengers, you are yesterday's people and they have probably got their tips the night before.

Basically, the sooner you are off the ship the better they like to.

David.

Sorry but I agree that you are overreacting. I think the steward was trying to be helpful, and probably had seen such items left behind by previous passengers.

I think you would have been thankful for his actions if you had actually overlooked the items.

Sorry but think it is bang out of order to go through your drawers the night before you disembark the ship. There is no way your steward should think you have forgotten these things when it wasnt even your last day. The steward should never go through your drawers at anytime during the cruise it is invasion of your personal and private items.

I suspect this is a one off. I have never experienced this in all our cruises and never read anything like it on here or any other board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'd like to think the steward didn't mean to cause any distress and was only helping. On the last morning of our last cruise we went to breakfast around 7 and were only gone for around 15 minutes, when we got back the bed had been changed and towels removed. All other items in the bathroom were put on the lower shelf altogether. I know they try to get ahead but it is a bit off-putting.

On the last night I had put the photos we had purchased onboard on the table in a black bag. I went back to the cabin after dinner (something I don't normally do) and couldn't see them anywhere. Luckily I saw the steward in the hallway and told him that I couldn't find them. He went away and found them. He must have thrown them away. He didn't apologise and I was just glad I got them back so I didn't say anything.

I think in future I will put the do not disturb sign out on the last evening until we leave in the morning.

I think this is absolutely appalling! Your items should only be touched by you or others in your cabin, not by staff members! It is an invasion of privacy and is totally out of order.

We had a small experience of this sometime ago, but I cannot remember when, or exactly what it was, but I do know that I was extremely angry, as was my husband.

I never bother Reception with anything as they totally useless. You could have seen the Loyalty person, but finding them on the last morning may have been difficult, and is the last thing you want to be doing.

I totally understand how upsetting this is and, if I was you, I would be complaining in the strongest terms to P&O.

Reception and certainly not the 'Loyalty person', would not be the first point of contact. Any problems with a Cabin steward/ss should first be directed to their line manager, that is 'your deck housekeeping supervisor' or failing that the Executive housekeeping manager.

I believe the steward was over zealous, and probably thought they were doing you a favour, particularly as your cases had gone. One several occasions we found items in the cabin when boarding, missed by the steward and the passenger. The last night and disembarkation are the down side of a cruise!