Arcadia v Cunard

Alanxx

Advice please.My wife and I have always cruised with Cunard and enjoyed the food,formal nights,speakers etc.We usually have a balcony cabin.

We have the opportunity of a cruise on Arcadia from Southampton to Sydney next January.We would be interested in hearing how people feel the two companies compare......thanks

P.S. the only time we cruised with P&O was on the Orcades in 1968 for our honeymoon !!!!!!!

In my opinion, the quality of restaurant food and attention to detail on restaurant service is slightly better on Cunard. And on the buffet service there is a lot more variety and choice than on P&O. Although the food quality we found to be very good on P&O generally.

Also the entertainment facilities are better on the Cunard ships in that their theatres are big enough to accommodate all comers on each sitting, whereas occasionally on P&O we've not been able to get seated unless leaving the dinner table slightly earlier than we would have liked. Also I think the standard of entertainment in the theatres has been better overall, on Cunard.

Having said that, the ambience of the decor on the Cunard ships can be ever so slightly old fashioned with a lot of dark wood colours, although it's all a matter of taste. We haven't been on QM2 since they started the refurbishment of the staterooms, either.

We have been very impressed with the contemporary colour palette used on P&O. Also we think P&O presents better value at the moment. Cunard seems slightly overpriced in comparison.

I would certainly recommend P&O , although we also love Cunard. I would say if you like Cunard, you will like P&O. It's just that at the moment we seem to be getting better deals on P&O.

Hence why we've got three P&O cruises booked and only one Cunard.

I terms of the theatre Arcadia has a large one over 3 decks much like Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria. They are variations of the same ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Good to know! We will be travelling on Arcadia for the first time in 2018.

Another plus point about the P&O cabins is the flat screen, wall mounted TV's with the content downloadable on demand. Much better than a set schedule as we have had on Cunard in the past

Having cruised on both, the décor is much more luxurious on QV but the layout of the ships are virtually the same except Arcadia doesn't have the two-deck Queens Room or theatre boxes. Having said that, I find the service on P&O much friendlier and efficient.

I terms of the theatre Arcadia has a large one over 3 decks much like Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria. They are variations of the same ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

HAL decided they needed a new ship around 2003 and Fincantieri started to build it. A bit later it was decided that that ship would be transferred to Cunard and called Queen Victoria. Someway through the construction of "Queen Victoria" it was decided that P&O needed a new ship and Cunard could wait. So the ship under construction was reallocated to P&O UK and when finished in 2005 it was named Arcadia. This accounts for the similarity in design features the vessel has.

This swapping type of thing goes on more than you think for example Diamond Princess is now called Sapphire Princess and Sapphire Princess is called Diamond Princess. This occurred because of early sales and a big fire.

Regards John.

Hi Alanxx

I agree with most of the comments made.

I haven't done a world or part of one on P&O but I have on Cunard. I did the whole 2013 voyage on QE and the ship was very British on the first leg to Fort Lauderdale where 1500 or so passengers got off. From there onwards, the ship did sway more to cater for the American market - especially entertainment wise. I guess this was only to be expected. However, to me, the speakers were not of the same level that you had on European cruises with Cunard. Also, the on board entertainment team were new on board at Southampton, so had not been able to rehearse the shows on the stage. Due to some rough weather, they were unable to rehearse, so many of the shows for the first couple of weeks were cancelled.

I was with some friends who were only on the first couple of legs and they felt that they were second class citizens, as things were organised for those on the whole cruise whereas those just doing a few segments were left out. It didn't help with Cunard setting up a concierge area in the Winter Garden on sea days with access restricted to those on the whole cruise.

As a result, I would probably not select Cunard for a partial world cruise. Just my feelings. I'm back on QE in December, so I still like the brand, just will be more cautious on the itinerary.

Arcadia, QE and QV are similar as has been said - never been in a suite or grill class stateroom so can't comment on those. Arcadia does have baths rather than showers in most of the cabins and the cabin layout is very similar on all 3 ships. Arcadia does have obstructed outside view cabins on E deck whereas these on Cunard are partially obstructed balcony cabins.

Plus for me with Arcadia is that I like the stern cabins and I can't have one on Cunard as they are grills grade. Another plus point is that the speciality restaurants to me give a better variety than the Verandah does - this I think is becoming a weak point on Cunard.

Cunard does score well for me in the brightness of many of the areas within the ship - Queens Room, shopping area. Also, the pub lunch makes a change - pity P&O doesn't offer food in the pub.

Arcadias theatre for me is a let down compared to the two Cunard ships - there are quite a few obstructed view seats.

At the end of the day, I would willingly travel on any of the three ships as they all have their own good and less good points. Main trouble these days is finding an itinerary that is a bit more varied from the usual run of the mill ones.

if the itinerary is the same, for me it would be Arcadia. I find the 'entertainment' on Cunard too repetitive and too understated - sounds like muzak. I also prefer the speakers on P&O. On your most recent TA on QM2 we had speakers from the New York Times who literally read their talks and were incredibly boring. The westbound crossing wasn't any better. Obviously with lots of sea days things like that might matter. I also think P&O offered more dining alternatives when y get fed up of the MDR

The staff on Cunard are also told to keep their distance and I prefer the P&O approach.

One thing to consider are the prices on board. Cunard charge more or less double P&O. Example Cloudy Bay Sauvignon. P&O 30 pounds. Cunard 60 USD plus 15% .

And this goes right through all drinks. After they add the 15% there wasn't a bottle on Cunard under 40USD.

Google the drinks prices on both lines , if you enjoy a drink or three then maybe Arcadia is the one. We did Arcadia two weeks ago and thought she was super. Apart from the onboard costs QV was lovely too. We came back from Cape Town on her in the spring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to say that I loved Arcadia when I travelled on her, however if I had the choice between QE, QV or Arcadia I would choose Cunard. There are pros and cons to each of them. I prefer the more formal aspects of Cunard. I also think the quality and variety of food is better on Cunard, the talks and entertainment are of a better standard and I just feel a little bit more looked after.

Having said that, Arcadia is a beautiful ship, my favourite out of the P&O fleet that I have been on so far. I like the fact that everything is in sterling, the services charges are less, and to be honest I have never had poor service so I wouldn't hesitate to book to go on her, I would be happy to do a world cruise on her.

My choice between choosing P&O or Cunard generally comes from what is available on a certain sailing date, as I have to plan cruises around work and children, a couple of years more and this won't be an issue:)

Edited by HellouB

Yes, Arcadia, Queen Vic and Lizzy are essentially the same ship with different livery, different internal décor and some minor internal changes.

However P&O are mass-market (standard) but Cunard are premium. You may pay a little more (?) but the overall experience should be better.

Cunard are really only premium in Grills class. In Britannia I don't find a great deal between them and P&O, aside from a more international menu. The reason P&O got Arcadia is that Cunard decided they wanted a slightly longer vessel with additional strengthening in the bow for more comfortable Atlantic crossings.

If I had the choice I would choose Arcadia. We spent just over a month on her last year and could easily have stayed on board for longer. Of the P&O ships, she's the one we've been on most as we love her bars, layout, glass lifts, hydrospa area and restaurants, oh, and she has a pool that can be covered!

If possible I would book a rear cabin - Suite if there are any left, and if you wish to spend the extra, as they are larger and the balconies are wonderful.

She is also child-free, which you may not care about, but it does tend to be, shall we say, 'quieter'.:)

Cruised on Arcadia last month and would recommend her to anyone (over 18 of course). Big enough to have plenty to do, small enough to feel at home, and really friendly staff. I could have done 60 nights rather than the 14 I did! She just has a lovely feel. Even my daughter, who is 21 and was with a friend the same age, wasn't put off by the fact that there few young people; she thought it was a terribly civilised ship and so did I.

We cruise Cunard & P&O but, will admit it, preference is Cunard. We like sea days and Cunard (IMO) far excels P&O for sea day activities. Do you like to have something to do on a sea day or just laze around? That could be an influence.

Cunard is still more formal, as an example we're on Cunard soon and there are 6 on a 14 nighter whereas on P&O next year we only have 7 on a 36er, do you like taking your "frock" or find it a nuisance?

Both have much to recommend them but they are different.