Unlimited internet access- will iMessage work?

BunnyLebowski

Hi folks. Am so excited to be booked to sail around Greece this summer in a Penthouse Suite with DH and our elementary school aged children on the Constellation! Will be a trip of a lifetime.

The new suite perks seem to include unlimited internet access for everyone in the suite. If this is the case, can we all just permanently connect our iPhones to the ship's wifi and therefore have the ability to iMessage (text) each other throughout the trip? That would be an amazing upgrade! Anyone who has been in a RS or PS since the rollout have any thoughts on if this will work?

Yes- we just got off Equinox last week and had this package, which we shared with my parents. You'll be able to iMessage, but the catch with the unlimited internet is that only one person can be logged in to the account at a time. You'll have a username and password linked to the stateroom, and when you attempt to go online, if someone else is already using the account, you'll be asked if you want to log them out, effectively kicking them off the internet. With a large group, this can get annoying, but it's understandable as otherwise an unlimited number of people could use the account. This will limit the utility of iMessage for you as you can't be online at the same time to send/receive messages with each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

...but the catch with the unlimited internet is that only one person can be logged in to the account at a time. You'll have a username and password linked to the stateroom, and when you attempt to go online, if someone else is already using the account, you'll be asked if you want to log them out, effectively kicking them off the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, really? We've all had our own accounts in the past. That will get pretty irritating pretty quickly. I guess DH will just have the unlimited account and the rest of us will have to buy additional minutes for our own accounts. Seems rather clunky...

I could be wrong, but I believe each person in the suite gets their own access code; that was our experience in a royal suite a few weeks ago. I only got "kicked off" when I switched between my iPad and iPhone. We loved the unlimited internet and will probably purchase it on our next cruise.

I could be wrong, but I believe each person in the suite gets their own access code; that was our experience in a royal suite a few weeks ago. I only got "kicked off" when I switched between my iPad and iPhone. We loved the unlimited internet and will probably purchase it on our next cruise.

Yes, we got two access codes but, as my husband does not use the Internet, I do not know if we could both use it at the same time.

The poster who said that only one person could login at a time only had one package. In a suite, with the benefit, or if you buy more than one package, you can all stay logged in at once and iMessage, or use another method like Skype or even some of the apps that turn your phone into a radio via the Internet. I was able to use all available ports and Internet functions with the unlimited suit package. If you want to log your computer on, you'll be asked to take your iPhone off, but otherwise, because each account can only have one device logged in at at time, but you'll each have a code to create an account and can stay logged on.

Enjoy and happy sailing,

Jenna

are unlimited packages available for purchase or just for free to suite guests?

It depends on your cruise. As a data point, on my recent 7-day Western Caribbean, they were available to purchase for $300.

The poster who said that only one person could login at a time only had one package. In a suite, with the benefit, or if you buy more than one package, you can all stay logged in at once and iMessage, or use another method like Skype or even some of the apps that turn your phone into a radio via the Internet. I was able to use all available ports and Internet functions with the unlimited suit package. If you want to log your computer on, you'll be asked to take your iPhone off, but otherwise, because each account can only have one device logged in at at time, but you'll each have a code to create an account and can stay logged on.

Enjoy and happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks Brenda and Jenna- that's more along the lines of what I was expecting.

Jenna, I'm in the middle of reading your live Summit review and am getting so excited for our trip. Very nicely done!

Best,

Gigi

Thanks Brenda and Jenna- that's more along the lines of what I was expecting.

Jenna, I'm in the middle of reading your live Summit review and am getting so excited for our trip. Very nicely done!

Best,

Gigi

Thanks Gigi :)

Happy sailing,

Jenna