Changes to Itinerary and losing ports

Wondermouse

Agree with some of your statements. However, the cruise lines have the options to change any itinerary, plus many other things. We have found in the past that it is not beneficial to book that far in advance. Have you ever noticed how often airlines change? OMG, I get change notices weekly on some flights even when it is 5 minutes. Hope you get this resolved for your cruise.

We had 3 ports change in spring 2009 with H1N1. Three days out on our 15 day Panama Canal cruise, we were told all 3 Mexican ports would be missed! We gained 1/2 day in San Diego, day at Catalena Island off Los Angeles and 3/4 day early in San Francisco.

I can see and understand people's disappointment. I really wanted to go to the 3 Mexican ports!

We had 3 ports change in spring 2009 with H1N1. Three days out on our 15 day Panama Canal cruise, we were told all 3 Mexican ports would be missed! We gained 1/2 day in San Diego, day at Catalena Island off Los Angeles and 3/4 day early in San Francisco.

I can see and understand people's disappointment. I really wanted to go to the 3 Mexican ports!

The biggest difference between the current situation and the one you referenced is that the 2009 change was made for safety reasons and was due to a situation outside of the control of the cruise line (the H1N1 epidemic) the current changes are not being triggered by any such situation and the changes are solely under the control of the cruise line.

Of course there are always exceptions to any position. It worked for you, however, it did not work for him. To us, one specific cabin is not going to change our mind on booking a cruise. Done too many to think we can only cruise in a specific cabin on a specific ship.

I assume you have been cruising since 2012 based on your handle. Enjoy your cruise and have fun.

Oh sure, of course I understand there are exceptions. But he made it look like a blanket statement. And actually I only cared about the side and section, not the specific cabin number.

My first cruise was during Hurricane Sandy. Carnival got a PVSA waiver to make Key West the replacement for Nassau, which closed on embarkation day.

Oh sure, of course I understand there are exceptions. But he made it look like a blanket statement. And actually I only cared about the side and section, not the specific cabin number.

My first cruise was during Hurricane Sandy. Carnival got a PVSA waiver to make Key West the replacement for Nassau, which closed on embarkation day.

OK, we both are in sync. Enjoy your next cruise!

Thanks for the responses, I agree that you need to make the best of it if there are changes. For those of us who like to plan and are less of the fly by the seat of your pants... it is hard to do the advance planning if changes are thrown at you.

I disagree. Unexpected changes are the reason you do advance planning. The military will tell you that no plan survives it's first contact with reality. So, why plan? If you've done your research and planning and an unexpected event occurs, you will be familiar with your options and will be able to make the best adaptations possible. Never fail in love with your plan, fall in love with your planning.

I know this sounds 'Pollyannaish' but life is full of changes.

I disagree. Unexpected changes are the reason you do advance planning. The military will tell you that no plan survives it's first contact with reality. So, why plan? If you've done your research and planning and an unexpected event occurs, you will be familiar with your options and will be able to make the best adaptations possible. Never fail in love with your plan, fall in love with your planning.

I guess I never thought if my " holiday" as a military operation. Maybe people should bring some rations too as there have been some unexpected sickness on the ship in the last few years. I don't plan for that either.

What I do plan for is the good faith contract that the cruise line has posted. I am sure that they would object if I changed the price of the cruise and that since they took a port away that I should only pay a partial amount since they have changed the perimeters.

What I do plan for is the good faith contract that the cruise line has posted.

You still have your Good Faith contract. It allows you to cancel, and they'll refund you your deposit.

Nobody is forcing you to take a cruise that has been changed by the Company. If the change was after final payment, I would sympathize but at this point if you can't live with the change simply cancel, walk away and find another cruise.

Edited by WpgCruise

I guess I never thought if my " holiday" as a military operation. Maybe people should bring some rations too as there have been some unexpected sickness on the ship in the last few years. I don't plan for that either.

What I do plan for is the good faith contract that the cruise line has posted. I am sure that they would object if I changed the price of the cruise and that since they took a port away that I should only pay a partial amount since they have changed the perimeters.

Have you ever read the cruse contract? Especially this part:

"a) Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation."

"e) In the event that a Cruise (or the cruise component of a CruiseTour) is canceled or terminated early due to mechanical failures:"

"i) Passenger shall have a right to a full refund of the Cruise Fare if the Cruise is canceled in full, or a partial refund if the cruise is terminated early;"

Now exactly which part of the cruise contract has the cruise line violated?

Actually - quite the opposite. It sounds pragmatic. Expecting things to always go as planned is "Pollyanna-ish" :)

Actually - quite the opposite. It sounds pragmatic. Expecting things to always go as planned is "Pollyanna-ish" :)

And just to clarify, lest Wondermouse think I am calling them a Pollyanna ... I read through to the original post and see that Wondermouse is really more of an activist - recognizing that while Celebrity has the right to do this - and we have the right cancel our bookings - there is a chance that if those who are dissatisfied speak up, the decision could be reversed.

I spent forty five years travelling, mostly for business, but some for military. Do not expect things to go as planned or advertised.

And just to clarify, lest Wondermouse think I am calling them a Pollyanna ... I read through to the original post and see that Wondermouse is really more of an activist - recognizing that while Celebrity has the right to do this - and we have the right cancel our bookings - there is a chance that if those who are dissatisfied speak up, the decision could be reversed.

Yes , please call the Captain's Club and/or email Celebrity to let them know of your dissatisfaction rather than just complaining on here.

celebrityonetouch@celebrity.com Att: Executive Office on subject line

CAPTAIN"S CLUB (1 800 760-0654)

celebrityguestrelations@RCCL.com