"service" animals-where do we draw the line?

ozarkmama

I think that the "service animal" concept will be abused and abused until there is no choice but to stop it entirely. so sad for the legitimate needs of the truly handicapped.

Right now, as I understand it, there is no "line" if you claim its a service animal no one can challenge you. So feel free to bring your pet dog, cat, monkey, ferret, or yes, even Kangaroo.

I wish common sense could prevail here.

If you are blind with a seeing eye dog, please board and enjoy your cruise.

If you have an "emotional needs" puppy that you push around in a stroller, better find a kennel.

A lot of education needs to be done. A service dog (and they are limited to dogs or in a few cases miniature horses) must be trained to provide a service. An emotional support animal does not have access rights to restaurants, buses, trains, cruise ships, grocery stores, etc. An emotional support animal is not covered by the ADA the way a service dog is. I wish stories like this would also include the law to teach people.

The woman in the story needs to leave her animal at home.

I think that the "service animal" concept will be abused and abused until there is no choice but to stop it entirely. so sad for the legitimate needs of the truly handicapped.

Right now, as I understand it, there is no "line" if you claim its a service animal no one can challenge you. So feel free to bring your pet dog, cat, monkey, ferret, or yes, even Kangaroo.

If you have an "emotional needs" puppy that you push around in a stroller, better find a kennel.

I don't think that will happen. It is very hard to avoid lawsuits that are expensive to defend.

I represented the military as a personnel attorney for three years and it is amazing how much abuse of the system exists.

Further, there are legitimate needs for some that should not be ignored.

We joke about booking our cat in a cabin, since it might be as cheap as boarding her with the vet. Still, I cannot imagine dealing with litter boxes on a cruise.

We currently live in Ecuador....and it seems more and more people are bringing thier pets in a method that allows them to bring larger dogs into the cabin..They say they are a type of therapy dog! There are some steps they have to go through, but it does not appear to be that difficult! Just abusing the system!!

If you want to read a story on how crazy it can be, this New Yorker article says it all. Both funny and sad.

Llama's!

That New Yorker article is very true and describes today's culture of accommodation.

My DW is in the education field for a professional organization and between the various professional organizations in Canada and the U.S. this is also an issue when students bring emotional support animals with them to write their exams. I've heard her tell stories about students bringing the types of animals that were in the article. The best one though was a support iguana.:eek: As I understand it, as long as a medical professional has certified that the support animal is needed, the students get to bring them to the exams.

So I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see more strollered Yorkie's, Miss Piggy’s, Yertle's, Kaa's, and even a few Fernando Lamas' on our future cruises.;)

Common Sense is as rare as a Leatherback Turtle these days (it's on the Critically Endangered List).:(

Edited by DirtyDawg

100% agree with you .

I love animals. I have two dogs and three turtles. That being said, I do not think that animals belong in a confined space, and a ship is definitely a confined space. Many people are allergic to animals. A service dog in a dining room, a theater, a club, or pool area could possibly harm someone who cannot tolerate coming in contact with an animal. What would the ship personnel do if more than one passenger had adverse reactions? Where would these animals relieve themselves? What kind of bacteria are they leaving behind for passengers to walk through? There are too many negatives to ensure the safety and health of the passengers. I say no to cruising animals!

I wish the mods would draw a line in the number of times this has to be discussed.

I agree, this has been discussed to death in the last few weeks. I read the Yahoo article and the comments which pretty much mirror what is said on this board. I did find one that was funny so thought I would add some levity to the thread.

Man and dog walk into a bar for a beer, bartender says you can't have animals in

the bar. Man says I'm blind and this is my seeing eye dog. Bartender says in

that case no problem. A few minutes later a second man walks into the bar with

a dog. As he walks past the first guy, the first guy whispers to the man, tell

the bartender your dog is a service animal. Bartender tells second man he can't

come in with a dog and he tells him I'm blind and the dog is my service animal.

Bartender says since when are Chuhuaha's guide dogs for the blind, second man

replies, they gave me a Chihuahua.

I love animals. I have two dogs and three turtles. That being said, I do not think that animals belong in a confined space, and a ship is definitely a confined space. Many people are allergic to animals. A service dog in a dining room, a theater, a club, or pool area could possibly harm someone who cannot tolerate coming in contact with an animal. What would the ship personnel do if more than one passenger had adverse reactions? Where would these animals relieve themselves? What kind of bacteria are they leaving behind for passengers to walk through? There are too many negatives to ensure the safety and health of the passengers. I say no to cruising animals!

I traveled in a group last month that had a woman with a service dog. The cruise line set up boxes in a non passenger area where the dog is taken to relieve itself.

I do know a decent amount of paperwork was needed, but I'm sure there are people willing to go through it to beat the system.

As for allergies...I'm allergic to dogs, and I sat at the table with this dog a few nights in a row. Somehow didn't bother me. She was under the table(ish) at the feet of her owner. This isn't to say someone wouldn't have had issues, but luckily, even I didn't, even though I went into it knowing I was indeed allergic to her breed.

US law is very clear on this issue - someone's allergy does not trump the rights of the disabled, and a legitimate Service Dog (or Miniature Horse if space allows) cannot be denied entry to a public place. If indeed someone has a severe allergy to a Service Animal then the business has the obligation of figuring out how to accommodate both the Animal and the Allergy Sufferer - usually by seating them far apart.

A legitimate Service Animal is well-trained to be passive - so much so that some have been killed by the fake ones when attacked, as they have been taught not to defend themselves.

Man and dog walk into a bar for a beer, bartender says you can't have animals in

the bar. Man says I'm blind and this is my seeing eye dog. Bartender says in

that case no problem. A few minutes later a second man walks into the bar with

a dog. As he walks past the first guy, the first guy whispers to the man, tell

the bartender your dog is a service animal. Bartender tells second man he can't

come in with a dog and he tells him I'm blind and the dog is my service animal.

Bartender says since when are Chuhuaha's guide dogs for the blind, second man

replies, they gave me a Chihuahua.

LOL Don -- that one never gets old! :D

But, on a more serious note, I wholeheartedly agree with Linda (HappyCruiser6143). The job of figuring out how to accommodate their guests with disabilities, without allowing the system to be abused, falls to Celebrity. The best thing we, as customers, can do is to give them our honest feedback. Given all the threads on this topic, there does not seem to be a shortage of that! ;)

That New Yorker article is very true and describes today's culture of accommodation.

Unfortunately, there are far too many people who REFUSE to understand that the two are mutually exclusive. :cool:

Edited by teecee60

A lot of education needs to be done. A service dog (and they are limited to dogs or in a few cases miniature horses) must be trained to provide a service. An emotional support animal does not have access rights to restaurants, buses, trains, cruise ships, grocery stores, etc. An emotional support animal is not covered by the ADA the way a service dog is. I wish stories like this would also include the law to teach people.

The woman in the story needs to leave her animal at home.

Unfortunately these posers know how to work the system. They say their pet is a service dog and they know that the restaurants, cruise ships, grocery stores, etc. will not turn them away, because they are afraid of a lawsuit.

There needs to be a national registry for service animals and them, and only them, should be allowed in those establishments that normally don't allow animals.

I have no problem with the service animals. Though you can't ask(stupid as that is)what disability the person has, you CAN ask the service provided by the animal. If the person gets defensive or rude you CAN ask that they leave. Anyone with a disability I would hope, would be forth coming as to what service the animal provides. It's the "therapy" group that's causing the problem. I saw a woman with a dog in a sweater(really ratty looking dog, too) walk into a Sam's club yesterday. The dog was NO service animal. The woman "claimed" it was a therapy dog..REALLY?? I told the staff that they can tell the person to leave as the law cover service animals, not little poochy for people who can't cope with their poor lives.

I have no problem with the service animals. Though you can't ask(stupid as that is)what disability the person has, you CAN ask the service provided by the animal. If the person gets defensive or rude you CAN ask that they leave. Anyone with a disability I would hope, would be forth coming as to what service the animal provides. It's the "therapy" group that's causing the problem. I saw a woman with a dog in a sweater(really ratty looking dog, too) walk into a Sam's club yesterday. The dog was NO service animal. The woman "claimed" it was a therapy dog..REALLY?? I told the staff that they can tell the person to leave as the law cover service animals, not little poochy for people who can't cope with their poor lives.
Just a point, a therapy dog (here in the US) is a dog that is trained and visits hospitals, nursing homes, etc., to bring joy to those it is around, they are not service animals nor are they emotional support or comfort dogs and are not under the ADA rules and regulations. If someone tries to get their dog into an establishment and says they are a therapy dog, they should not be admitted and just the word "therapy" should be a red light to the establishment. The dog you speak of was a poser, which are called emotional support dogs or comfort dogs and she didn't even know the correct word to use to lie that her dog is a service animal.

I have no problem with the service animals. Though you can't ask(stupid as that is)what disability the person has, you CAN ask the service provided by the animal. If the person gets defensive or rude you CAN ask that they leave. Anyone with a disability I would hope, would be forth coming as to what service the animal provides.
The problem is that asking the question is only a formality.

It accomplishes nothing because a person who brings a pet is likely to be prepared with an acceptable reply as well as the person with a genuine service animal.

If the owner of an establishment asks what service is provided by the animal, and the person replies "He alerts me if I am about to have a seizure" the owner has no way of knowing whether or not that is true.

The abuses will continue unless there is eventually some sort of standardized, recognizable licensing required for service animals.

BTW, a handful of states already have penalties for falsely identifying an animal as a service animal. Hopefully others states will follow.

I agree with the sentiment that therapy dogs that aren't (in strollers, etc) should be left at home, and too many are gaming the system. It won't go away completely ever, but can be more controlled, like disabled parking spaces. You either have it, or you don't. Businesses don't decide, doctors do, and you get a special license. It won't be as fair for those with a legitimate need (blind, deaf, etc), but disabled drivers have to do it, it would / could be similar legislation, with similar penalties / fines for using it when you shouldn't.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Amen. Minimal pets on board. OK no animals or X should grow a set of ***** and just say no.

Edited by blindrid

I agree with the sentiment that therapy dogs that aren't (in strollers, etc) should be left at home, and too many are gaming the system. It won't go away completely ever, but can be more controlled, like disabled parking spaces. You either have it, or you don't. Businesses don't decide, doctors do, and you get a special license. It won't be as fair for those with a legitimate need (blind, deaf, etc), but disabled drivers have to do it, it would / could be similar legislation, with similar penalties / fines for using it when you shouldn't.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Real Service Dog owners are indeed pushing for changes as you describe...CCI which is one of the largest trainers of Service Animals has collected thousands of signatures for such legislation.

you can sign up as well:

http://www.cci.org/site/c.cdKGIRNqEmG/b.9194893/k.652A/Stop_Service_Dog_Fraud/apps/ka/ct/contactus.asp?c=cdKGIRNqEmG&b=9194893&en=5eJzGIPjH4LILSPmH3IFJOMwGfLCJRMsFbLPIWMAJoLZE