Celebrity vs. Norwegian - 14 night Mediterranean Cruise

viranpooja

Hi! I am new to this forum so please forgive me if this has already been discussed in the past. A little bit about my cruising experience: I have only been on one seven day cruise before and that was with Star Princess to Alaska.

We are booked on a cruise to the Mediterranean on Norwegian for 14 days. The age range of our group varies from 16 as the youngest to 57 being the oldest. We recently just found a 14 day cruise on Celebrity (similar price to Norwegian) and it has almost the same itinerary.

* The difference being that Celebrity goes to Istanbul, Turkey whereas Norwegian goes to Corfu, Greece

* On Norwegian we are all next to each other on the deck, whereas on Celebrity it is a guaranteed room so we will not know where we will be on the ship (guaranteed interior rooms).

* Many of us are vegetarians and I hear that NCL may NOT have many options for vegetarians

* Celebrity only stops in Santorini until 5pm, whereas NCL stops in Santorini until 10pm which means I get to see the sunset which I have been longing to see in Santorini

Now the question becomes, is it better to go on Celebrity (premium line with better food) or better to go on Norwegian (which seems to be more "fun" for the younger crowd, and we know where we will be located on the ship)? We have reserved both at this point and are hoping for some insight before cancelling one over the other! Any advice will be helpful! Thanks in advance!!!:)

I have sailed both lines, but not in the Eastern Med. Most people seem to love Istanbul, and DW and I are glad we went once but did not enjoy it and will not go back. Santorini, on the other hand, was wonderful -- and would have been even better if our ship had stayed late enough to see the sunset from Oia (or even Thira). You have pluses and minuses that seem to cancel in other categories (cabins close together on NCL; better food on Celebrity; entertainment and ambience perhaps better suited to your age range on NCL). I would choose NCL based on the itinerary, because itinerary is always number one for us.

We absolutely love the itineraries on Celebrity. We've been to Istanbul and we've been to Corfu and honestly Istanbul is absolutely brilliant. I'd choose Istanbul over Corfu anyday.

Santorini during the day is amazing. Yes it would be nice to leave at 10 PM, but a day in Santorini + Istanbul is better (IMO) than a full day in Santorini + Corfu.

On the rooms, I suggest that you book GTY staterooms and see what is allocated. You can then change rooms closer to one another in the same category. You may be able to get rooms right next to each other as well so this is not a big problem.

My wife is a vegetarian and she absolutely loves the food on Celebrity. They even have the most amazing veg burgers at the Mast Grill on the pool deck. We love this place since I get my share of beef and turkey while my wife enjoys really good veg food at the same place.

My wife and I are both in our early-mid 30s and we feel Celebrity is just right for us. We've cruised with our parents/ inlaws who are in their 50s and 60s and they love it as well. Celebrity is a really FUN cruise-liner as well. In Europe we've seen many kids on our cruises too, never too many and always well behaved.

I'd go with Celebrity, especially if you manage to get rooms together.

Personal opinion!

To view the sunset in Santorini you are dependant on the weather - cloud cover etc could spoil the occasion. Also you might like to check the sunset time (timeanddate dot com) versus the all-aboard time and factor the return to Fira and the funicular ride into the timings. In other words "do you have time to view the sunset in Oia, travel back to Fira ride the funicular to the harbour and catch the tender all after sunset?" along with other travellers. Santorini is very picturesque, but highly "touristy"

Istanbul on the other hand is the original "East meets West" city. It's vibrant and crammed full of history and magnificent buildings (if that's your "thing") and Celebrity probably overnight there to allow plenty of time to see the sights, absorb the atmosphere and view the floodlit mosques and minarets from the ship's deck in the evening. You'll also get to experience sailing through the Dardanelles. The Celebrity itinerary was our first cruise and we have booked to do it again just to experience Istanbul!

Whatever you decide, have a great time and book to return for the trip you didn't do!

We have cruised 8 times on Celebrity and 5 times on NCL. We prefer Celebrity, but if itinerary and price are right, we go with NCL.

Celebrity has more consistently good service and better food in the MDR. Celebrity doesn't bug you much (except for that darn beverage package) for sales, while NCL pushes sales more. NCL does have excellent specialty restaurants (reasonable prices), while Celebrity's specialty restaurants are very expensive.

NCL and Celebrity both have good entertainment, but NCL probably has a slight edge.

Regarding vegetarian meals, I would be surprised that NCL doesn't provide those. You may wish to check with NCL.

As for itinerary, we have been to Corfu, Santorini and Istanbul as well as most of the eastern Med ports.

All three ports are great, but Istanbul would be my first choice. Of course, my view would be that if you don't see Istanbul on this cruise, then go back for another.

One more thing, you will find that if your cruise is longer than a week (you said 14 days), then the average age of passengers will be over 60. You will find that the average age for NCL passengers will likely be lower.

We have been on NCL, and I can tell you that NCL has plenty of options for vegetarians - so that should not be a consideration in your selection.

Since your itineraries are basically the same, I would ask how important it is for having your cabins together. With guarantee cabins, you could end up scattered all over the ship. Since you were able to book all of your cabins together on NCL, I would probably go with NCL.

We have never had a bad NCL cruise. (And contrary to public opinion on the Celebrity board, we never had any complaints about MDR or buffet food on NCL, although we did have a bad meal at the steak house, and it was promptly taken care of.)

I have sailed both Celebrity and NCL in the Med and enjoyed them all, so I think you'd have a great time on either if you know what to expect. NCL is livelier, with more entertainment and a more energetic atmosphere. There is basically no dress code (at least in much of the ship), which was very nice on our busy European itinerary. Food was OK in the MDR but very good in the specialty restaurants, which we didn't mind budgeting for (and they are cheaper than those on Celebrity.) Ships were clean and colors bright, service very good and cheerful. Celebrity is much more sedate and dignified and elegant. Pretty much everyone observes the dress code os some formal nights and the rest smart casual , although you avoid formal at the buffet and specialty restaurants. Entertainment is less of a focus, it's really about enjoying the company of your friends on a lovely ship with very good food and service. Ships are lovely but more understated. So, part of the decision may rest on which type of cruise suits you best. Otherwise, personally, I would be swayed by the late departure from Santorini (I have been there but ship left early, sunset must be glorious) and the confirmation of cabins close together. We loved Greece, would go again in a heartbeat. And although Istanbul has a lot of history, your vacation will be full of historical sights.

We've been on both NCL and X in the Med & you will enjoy either cruise. We would say that X has better food and service. NCL has better entertainment & perhaps it's more lively (but this often depends on the pax on the ship). Istanbul is much better than Corfu.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice!!

I forgot to mention, not sure if this would change anything, but although the NCL cruise does not go to Istanbul, it does go to Ephesus. Not sure if Istanbul and Ephesus are comparable at all?

I forgot to mention, not sure if this would change anything, but although the NCL cruise does not go to Istanbul, it does go to Ephesus. Not sure if Istanbul and Ephesus are comparable at all?

Ephesus is one of my fav sites but Istanbul is something else altogether. As someone suggested, you absolutely must go to Istanbul on some other trip if you don't this time. We were on Corfu last June and its beautiful, but can't be compared with Istanbul.

Re. vegetarian food, I can't comment on NCL but you'll have absolutely no trouble on Celebrity, there's a wide selection in the buffet at Oceanview Cafe and the MDR also gets you several options, you just have to tell them the first day.

One other thing, you can get X to switch your GTY cabins once they've been allotted, so maybe you'll find cabins near each other? You could also perhaps put in a request, they usually do try and help.

One other thing, you can get X to switch your GTY cabins once they've been allotted, so maybe you'll find cabins near each other? You could also perhaps put in a request, they usually do try and help.

How would they change it if they are already assigned to everyone? Have you ever done GTY by any chance? Do you know how soon they assigned cabins?

I would honestly stay away form Turkey at this time and next year, as ISIS is getting into turkey and causing issues, Syria borders turkey, we were going to do an itinerary that does turkey but after seeing the news we are doing celebrity and royal next summer 2016 for Europe avoiding Tunisia and turkey:eek:

QUOTE=viranpooja;46348162]Hi! I am new to this forum so please forgive me if this has already been discussed in the past. A little bit about my cruising experience: I have only been on one seven day cruise before and that was with Star Princess to Alaska.

We are booked on a cruise to the Mediterranean on Norwegian for 14 days. The age range of our group varies from 16 as the youngest to 57 being the oldest. We recently just found a 14 day cruise on Celebrity (similar price to Norwegian) and it has almost the same itinerary.

* The difference being that Celebrity goes to Istanbul, Turkey whereas Norwegian goes to Corfu, Greece

* On Norwegian we are all next to each other on the deck, whereas on Celebrity it is a guaranteed room so we will not know where we will be on the ship (guaranteed interior rooms).

* Many of us are vegetarians and I hear that NCL may NOT have many options for vegetarians

* Celebrity only stops in Santorini until 5pm, whereas NCL stops in Santorini until 10pm which means I get to see the sunset which I have been longing to see in Santorini

Now the question becomes, is it better to go on Celebrity (premium line with better food) or better to go on Norwegian (which seems to be more "fun" for the younger crowd, and we know where we will be located on the ship)? We have reserved both at this point and are hoping for some insight before cancelling one over the other! Any advice will be helpful! Thanks in advance!!!:)

Edited by earl06

I would honestly stay away form Turkey at this time and next year, as ISIS is getting into turkey and causing issues, Syria borders turkey, we were going to do an itinerary that does turkey but after seeing the news we are doing celebrity and royal next summer 2016 for Europe avoiding Tunisia and turkey:eek:

Initially I was worried about this, especially my husband. But I figured if the cruises go there, it must be safe? No?:confused:

How would they change it if they are already assigned to everyone? Have you ever done GTY by any chance? Do you know how soon they assigned cabins?

They can sometimes switch cabins within the same category after cabins are assigned. Cabin assignments can happen anytime between the time you book, and the time you sail.

Do NOT count on getting cabins together if you book guarantees - they can literally be spread all over the ship.

If this is important to you, then you should go with NCL where you know your cabins are together.

Edited by DinaS

All cabins are probably not assigned, so there is the possibility of switching cabins, we did it some years back and I know others who've done it more recently. But of course you can't count on getting cabins near each other, maybe closer than what was originally assigned.

I think since you posted on the Celebrity forum, most people are probably going to tell you they prefer Celebrity over NCL - just as most people on the NCL forum will tell you they prefer NCL.

My DH and I did a 12 day Mediterranean cruise last year on NCL. It stopped in Istanbul and a couple of ports in Greece; but not Corfu or Santorini.

We enjoyed most of our stops, but Istanbul was just ok for us. We want to do another Med. cruise; but, when we go back, it will be on an itinerary that does not include Istanbul.

We did love Greece. :D The people were very friendly and the scenery and the water were absolutely beautiful. I would pick Greece over Istanbul any day.

Also, unless your cruise includes a lot of sea days, the on board amenities are not as important. Our 12 day cruise had maybe 1-2 sea days. Every other day we were at port. It is fun; but exhausting. You will get back on the ship after being out all day, eat dinner, and then want to go to bed (or soak in one of the hot tubs). I think we watched 2 of the shows (probably the 2 nights before the sea days because we knew we could sleep in the next morning).

So, for your choices, I would go with NCL. But, that is just my humble opinion.

the people that died in Tunisia were on a cruise, they were at the bardo museum which we visited in 2010, turkey may be attacked by isis so I really would choose another itinerary ! we were in Ephesus and this time wanted to see instanbul, but no way would rather go to Greece and venice

Initially I was worried about this, especially my husband. But I figured if the cruises go there, it must be safe? No?:confused:

Hi! I am new to this forum so please forgive me if this has already been discussed in the past. A little bit about my cruising experience: I have only been on one seven day cruise before and that was with Star Princess to Alaska.

Although it's subjective..NCL is known for having the worst food overall in all the mainlines(Specialty rest. notwithstanding)That being said NCL & any line will provide vegetarian substitues, but you NEED to advise them of that fact. Your TA should be the one to let the cruiseline know about your dietary restrictions. As to destinations I'd rather go to Turkey. There are a lot of problems in Greece with the austerity issues.

Edited by keithm
quick add on

We have been on both Celebrity and Norwegian for 2 week Med cruises. Our Norwegian was with a group of 28 ranging in age from 16 to 87. This cruise did stop in Istanbul but not Santorini. Our Celebrity cruise was just the two of us and it did stop in Santorini but not Istanbul.

An earlier poster gave you very good advice when they said that the itineraries in the Med are long days ashore with very little sea days, the ship amenities are less of a factor during these cruises. Your time on the ship will be made up of dinner and relaxing after your long days.

Celebrity will be more suited to the 50 somethings while NCL will be more attractive to the younger people, although, they too will be 'beat' after a day of touring.

The one downfall of the NCL cruise with the large group was that the dinner is Freestyle, which was impossible to get our large group together at dinner. Celebrity however has different dining options which will allow you to get together to discuss what everyone did during the day and to plan the next day. The people in our group did their own thing each day ( some went in groups of 8 or 10) but it was nice to see everyone at dinner to compare notes.

Istanbul is a very interesting place and should be seen at least once in your lifetime. Be ready for crowds which at times can be overwhelming for some.

You will have plenty of time in Santorini during the day to explore without the late departure. You will see enough great sites without seeing the sunset.

"Off Topic Note" - Get to Oia before the crowds to really appreciate the little town ( get that #1 tender ticket ). There is a bus which will take you to Oia (25 min ride ) check the internet for details, this is cheaper than a cruise line excursion and very easy to do.

To sum up, the Celebrity cruise going to both Santorini and Istanbul would get my vote. The on board experience with Celebrity compliments the Mediterranean itinerary.

No, they are worlds apart.

ISIS cannot stop anyone from travelling. At the moment they are encouraging lone wolf attacks. One has happened in the central part of Sydney, and another in Paris. That issue would not stop me from travelling to Istanbul.

Edited by Pushka