Brazilian visas-caveat emptor

troubleclef

Be very careful. The San Francisco Brazilian Consulate does not provide expedited service and 3rd party providers can't even get an appointment until mid or late December, we tested this on the SF Brazilian Consulate website. Oceania has conceded that their preferred visa provider and any 3rd party provider cannot obtain a tourist visa until the December date, many days after the sail departure. Good luck.

Edited by trishbk

Just so make another wrinkle in this ...

Which may not be pertinent to your situation!

We got our Brazilian visas in NYC in the summer of 2013 (our departure was in November). I could go up to the consulate to give them the necessary documents and then to pick up the visas.

Yes, it did take two trips and a fairly long wait in the office until I was called on both occasions -- but the DMV wait has been much worse.

From what I understand, all of these offices work differently ... the NYC office was fairly efficient, if you don't mind waiting an hour or so to be called up!

But if I were in a location where there is no immediate office available, I'd definitely use one of the mail services.

Mura

I guess I am surprised that Oceania is still selling this cruise, if the visa is impossible to obtain before the sailing.

I imagine most potential customers do not already have a Brazilian visa in hand, so if there is no way to get the visa in time, what happens? Everyone loses their entire fare?

Be very careful. The San Francisco Brazilian Consulate does not provide expedited service and 3rd party providers can't even get an appointment until mid or late December, we tested this on the SF Brazilian Consulate website. Oceania has conceded that their preferred visa provider and any 3rd party provider cannot obtain a tourist visa until the December date, many days after the sail departure. Good luck.

Trish - your post drove me to contact our expediter, and he has an appointment set up for our visa, and as of now the expected date for the visa to be issued is Oct. 13 at 11 a.m.

I think what you saw on the consulate website regarding third party agencies' next open dates for applications being December (I saw that, too, and it is now January!) is somewhat misleading, as it seems that the expediters make numerous appointments in advance of receiving potential clients, and then can keep the appointments or cancel, depending on need.

I am much relieved, to say the least. Today was our last day to cancel and get 25% back. :eek:

I guess I am surprised that Oceania is still selling this cruise, if the visa is impossible to obtain before the sailing.

I imagine most potential customers do not already have a Brazilian visa in hand, so if there is no way to get the visa in time, what happens? Everyone loses their entire fare?

Sadly, Oceania is still selling cruises (O Life ultimate) involving Brazilian stops. I phoned today and asked a rep as my curiosity got the better of me. The rep did not bring up the visa issue until I inquired about it. He did say that Oceania does not have this visa service available for their customers for these cruises, so I would have to make my own visa application . If I had been a serious customer he would happily have taken my FULL DEPOSIT.

Conclusion: for those of us that are past our date for any portion of a refund from Oceania, we are SOL if we did not buy for any reason trip cancellation insurance. Oceania gets to double dip. They keep our money and still have a cabin to sell!

I wonder if Oceania is marketing this cruise to citizens of some of the early ports of call. Port call #1 is St. Barts. That's a legal part of France and, according to my web search, French citizens cab visit Brazil visa free if staying fewer than 90 days.

St. Lucia (Port call #2) isn't a productive source of customers since visas are required.

Trinidad/Tobago (Port call #3) citizens visit Brazil visa free.

Those two places are probably the only possibilities. After the leaving Trinidad/Tobago the ship has two days at sea and then, its first port call in Brazil.

Still, Oceania might fill a couple of discounted staterooms.

Careful with your yes answer Paul. Can't necessarily go to the closest Brazilian consulate. Have to go to the consulate that is responsible for the state you live in. And as I mentioned have to follow all of the instructions exactly and the appointment is just part of the instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The live in NM and Houston is the designated consulate. That is why I posted the link to the instructions. As you pointed out key is to follow them.

I wonder if Oceania is marketing this cruise to citizens of some of the early ports of call. Port call #1 is St. Barts. That's a legal part of France and, according to my web search, French citizens cab visit Brazil visa free if staying fewer than 90 days.

St. Lucia (Port call #2) isn't a productive source of customers since visas are required.

Trinidad/Tobago (Port call #3) citizens visit Brazil visa free.

Those two places are probably the only possibilities. After the leaving Trinidad/Tobago the ship has two days at sea and then, its first port call in Brazil.

Still, Oceania might fill a couple of discounted staterooms.

What is the issue. Brazil Visas are good for 10 years -- many cruisers already have their VISA either through around the horn cruise, amazon or even a land tour to the falls.

As far as the others that have Visa issue -- try calling to other expediters. Many have 3 week service. As someone pointed out - many have appointments every day where they can submit up to 7 applications. My favorite is www. passportvisaexpress.com they do my business visas and my 2nd passports (every few years)

Edited by PaulMCO

Or maybe they will market them to the citizens of Brazil or people that already have a valid VISA

Brazil Visas are good for 10 years -- many cruisers already have their VISA either through around the horn cruise, amazon or even a land tour to the falls.

We're hearing from people who are stressing out about their chances of getting visas in a timely way. They don't have visas from prior cruises and land visits.

"What is the issue. Brazil Visas are good for 10 years -- many cruisers already have their VISA either through around the horn cruise, amazon or even a land tour to the falls.

As far as the others that have Visa issue -- try calling to other expediters. Many have 3 week service. As someone pointed out - many have appointments every day where they can submit up to 7 applications. My favorite is www. passportvisaexpress.com they do my business visas and my 2nd passports (every few years)"

Yes, I believe that is the case with our expediter. Also - there is a list of accredited third party agencies on the consulate website, and our expediter's agency is listed, along with quite a few others.

"What is the issue. Brazil Visas are good for 10 years -- many cruisers already have their VISA either through around the horn cruise, amazon or even a land tour to the falls.

As far as the others that have Visa issue -- try calling to other expediters. Many have 3 week service. As someone pointed out - many have appointments every day where they can submit up to 7 applications. My favorite is www. passportvisaexpress.com they do my business visas and my 2nd passports (every few years)"

Yes, I believe that is the case with our expediter. Also - there is a list of accredited third party agencies on the consulate website, and our expediter's agency is listed, along with quite a few others.

You did the right/smart thing -- my comments are to Trish -- use an expediter/Visa service.

They know the process they will ask you to fix your paperwork before they hand it over. They generally beat the guarantee times. If there are issues they are local and go down there every day. My last India visa was to take 3 weeks -- and they had it back in less than 2.

I used a different expediter than O recommended, we were satisfied with their service of course we had to use Chicago for our visa. I am aware that the SF office has some different requirements. Perhaps they might be able to help. Travel Visa Pro. they cost about the same as O/

• 3 weeks later...

Just checking in - I had posted a month ago that we were using an expediter out of San Francisco for our Brazilian visas, needed for Nov 29 cruise on Oceania.

Despite doom-and-gloom warnings from a few who warned that we might not get our visas in time for the cruise, I just received a notice from the expediter and one from UPS that the visas are on their way, and should be here in two days. So, it took about a month altogether.

Okay, now I have to start looking at shore activities!

:):):)

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to report that Brazilian Consulates world wide are now back to work.

The strike is over. A big relief for me as the Vancouver Consulate finally processed our visas. I am so looking forward to being on the Marina again.

Happy adventures to all my fellow cruisers.