Somewhat weird question about clothing storage issue

Flatbush Flyer

We recently returned from a Panama Canal cruise on Regatta (SF to NY) and noticed some yellow stains on clothing items that had been stored in the closet drawers..

Since none of these items were ever worn or laundered onboard (either self serve or sent out), we're wondering if anyone else has had this problem and knows what the stains are from. Interestingly, my spouse ran into someone else on the ship who reported experiencing the same issue.

We've recently sent an e-mail note to Oceania Guest Services (since we didn't notice the problem until we returned home) asking about what caused the stains and how best to deal with getting them removed.

So, any light that can be shed on this mystery would be greatly appreciated.

This happens often to us on vacation, usually to white things which we thought were clean.

Storage in a different humidity from home often causes a chemical reaction called oxidation (the same process which causes an apple to brown after it is cut open). Yet another reason why turning the AC in the cabin completely off is a big no no, although I'm not suggesting that YOU did that.

The fabric will stain in areas where proteins have built up. Temperature and and humidity changes trigger the process.

The Concierge at the Hassler in Rome (who knows EVERYTHING!!!) gave us this fix:

• Use a good powdered detergent like Tide ( but NOT Tide with Bleach). The trick is to make sure that the detergent is completely dissolved before adding the clothes. Make a COOL water presoak solution either in a bucket or in your washer set for lowest water setting.

• – add detergent with hot water first, swirl to dissolve, then switch to cool/cold water). Follow label directions for the amount of detergent to use.

• Allow the items to sit in the pre-soak overnight. Swirl the solution periodically to help encourage better penetration in the soiled area.

• Finally, wash in the hottest water recommended on the care labels. The warmer the water, the better the removal. If items are bleachable, consider adding 1/2 to 3/4 cup Clorox Regular-Bleach into the hot water wash.

• Don’t forget to check for success after washing but before drying. You might need to retreat the item, and premature drying can set the stain further

Good Luck! :)

Edited by JimandStan

I've had the same thing happen at home to white summer clothes that I've put away for the winter. No sign of a stain when I've stored them, but yellow stains when they reappear.

I think JimandStan have the solution (in both senses of the word).

This happens often to us on vacation, usually to white things which we thought were clean.

Storage in a different humidity from home often causes a chemical reaction called oxidation (the same process which causes an apple to brown after it is cut open). Yet another reason why turning the AC in the cabin completely off is a big no no, although I'm not suggesting that YOU did that.

The fabric will stain in areas where proteins have built up. Temperature and and humidity changes trigger the process.

The Concierge at the Hassler in Rome (who knows EVERYTHING!!!) gave us this fix:

• Use a good powdered detergent like Tide ( but NOT Tide with Bleach). The trick is to make sure that the detergent is completely dissolved before adding the clothes. Make a COOL water presoak solution either in a bucket or in your washer set for lowest water setting.

• – add detergent with hot water first, swirl to dissolve, then switch to cool/cold water). Follow label directions for the amount of detergent to use.

• Allow the items to sit in the pre-soak overnight. Swirl the solution periodically to help encourage better penetration in the soiled area.

• Finally, wash in the hottest water recommended on the care labels. The warmer the water, the better the removal. If items are bleachable, consider adding 1/2 to 3/4 cup Clorox Regular-Bleach into the hot water wash.

• Don’t forget to check for success after washing but before drying. You might need to retreat the item, and premature drying can set the stain further

Good Luck! :)

Thanks for the tip ... I remember this happening to a few clothing items that I could have sworn were stain-free when we started out.

Shared the reply posts with my spouse. She says that these particular stains are not the "protein" type but, rather, oil based.

Any other ideas? Disinfectant or other petroleum based cleaning product residue?

I would wonder if previous guests might have stored or leaked something like sun screen or insect repellant. I got some stains of the yellow variety from using tide sticks for stain removal. Stain looked gone and then reappeared when garment was on body. I recommend covering with spaghetti sauce and then it will just look like a normal (for me at least) stain.:D Somebody in my town who buys clothes from charity shops is an expert in stain removal.:p

Could depend on fabric type and fabric coatings (stain resistant, wicking/quick dry) and in particular the strongly colored dyes for t-shirts like greens and royal blue --jewel tones etc. I take time to wash clothes carefully removing stains and checking after washing and before drying but still just let me get out the door and the stains come around to show off! So many sources of stains and circumstances that cause them and solutions (or not!) to try. I just "just feed my girls" too often and have a dressing scooper that most of the times looks like a diamond necklace drop but has this ability to instantly transport food to chest. My brother-in-law has a version of dressing scooper that manages to attract all oily substances to ties.

Nowadays one never knows what the last guest placed in the drawer nor what chemicals were used to clean the drawers.. Either could create vapors that react with chemicals in the clothing. Today, most clothes are treated.

If you want to do a test, stick a bandaid to the bottom of the drawer. The cotton material is pure unadulterated cotton.

My wife is allergic to formaldehyde. We have a lot of background on clothes additives. You would not believe what cotton is treated with, especially from China and Pakistan.

Nowadays one never knows what the last guest placed in the drawer nor what chemicals were used to clean the drawers.. Either could create vapors that react with chemicals in the clothing. Today, most clothes are treated.

If you want to do a test, stick a bandaid to the bottom of the drawer. The cotton material is pure unadulterated cotton.

My wife is allergic to formaldehyde. We have a lot of background on clothes additives. You would not believe what cotton is treated with, especially from China and Pakistan.

Because items in different drawers became stained and it happened at least to the other passenger we encountered (with the same stain), our first inkling is some cleaner/disinfectant that wasn't completely removed.

Still no word from our Guest Services inquiry.

Shared the reply posts with my spouse. She says that these particular stains are not the "protein" type but, rather, oil based.

Any other ideas? Disinfectant or other petroleum based cleaning product residue?

There was a long discussion of stains on a cooking site I visit and the consensus was to wash oil-based spots with Dawn liquid dish detergent. I've been using this method since reading about it and I've been happy with the results.

If you own a washing machine that calls for HE detergent, the one caution about my recommendation is that you'll probably want to wash/rinse the stained area in your sink before putting the clothes in the machine. Dawn is a very high-sudsing product so I assume it's good to rinse the Dawn out as as possible before putting the garment through a regular wash cycle with HE detergent.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

As odd as this sounds but we take parchment paper and line the drawers prior to putting out clothes in them.

We had this happen to us and figured it was the wood from the drawers that was causing a reaction or leaching. Who knows what was in that drawer before you put your stuff in it?

Never had a problem after that.

As odd as this sounds but we take parchment paper and line the drawers prior to putting out clothes in them.

We had this happen to us and figured it was the wood from the drawers that was causing a reaction or leaching. Who knows what was in that drawer before you put your stuff in it?

Never had a problem after that.

Good idea

We were on Regatta this spring & did not have an issue

Flatbush

you can also try oxi clean or similar type product to rub on the stain before washing maybe that will work

• 2 weeks later...