Brazilian visas-caveat emptor

troubleclef

Hello all travellers contemplating travel to Brazil. Effective August 22, 2016 Brazilian Consulates world wide are on strike for an indefinite period. I've spoken with a couple of Oceania reps today and they are maintaining that visas to Brazil are still being issued albeit slowly. I think prospective visitors to Brazil need to be aware that Brazilian Consulates may still be accepting applications but it is anyone's guess as to "when" the visas will be issued during the strike. Here's a reply from the Brazilian Consulate in Vancouver:

"Thank you for your email. We are currently accepting visa applications. However, they are NOT being processed to completion during the strike. You are welcome to submit your visa request provided that you are ready to surrender your passport for the entire duration of the process (undetermined processing time). We simply cannot predict when it will be ready. Moreover, please be advised that we have a no refund policy for visa fees once we start processing any given application. For more information, refer to the Consulate's website"

So, the question for all you good folks in need of a Brazilian visa is " are you willing to surrender your passport with no guarantee that you'll get in back in time for your cruise?......just saying

LUCKILY our visas were picked up at the consulate in Chicago last Thursday and we got them by FedEx on Friday. Glad I got everything back way before I need it.

Your phrase "way before I need it" raises a question. Typically, countries issue a visa no more than 90 days before a trip. (And, at least in our experience, the 90 days gets calculated from the date of departure, not arrival) Are you saying you applied for your visa to Brazil more than 90 days before your cruise?

Brazilian visas are good for five years. We got ours two years ago and have plans to visit Brazil again this November. We got new passports earlier this year so we have to make sure that we take our old passports with the Brazilian visas with us.

I recently applied for a Brazilian Visa and used VisaCentral Concierge service. I paid a premium but had it back within 10 days. It is good for 10 years. Expensive, but after the $$ I am spending on the cruise, it is small change for peace of mind for our Oct. cruise.

Your phrase "way before I need it" raises a question. Typically, countries issue a visa no more than 90 days before a trip. (And, at least in our experience, the 90 days gets calculated from the date of departure, not arrival) Are you saying you applied for your visa to Brazil more than 90 days before your cruise?

I thought with Brazil the Visa had to be validated in Brazil within 90 days of the date of issue ??

Is it different now ?

We went to the Brazilian Consulate on Toronto last Wednesday to submit our application which was approved. We were told we could pick up our Visa's tomorrow - one week after the application. Now I read that the consulate is on strike! They have our passports - so now I don't know what to do.

I am really hoping that when I check the status of our visa application tomorrow that we see the words "ready for pick-up". But not holding our breath on this. We need them for November 10th.

Linda

Our visa was stamped August 24, 2016 and we arrive in Rio on November 14, so it is all good.

I sent it to be processed the second week in August. I also had to send a copy of our flights also the consulate knew when we were arriving in Brazil. Our visa is good for 10 years.

Edited by Bobocasey

We went to the Brazilian Consulate on Toronto last Wednesday to submit our application which was approved. We were told we could pick up our Visa's tomorrow - one week after the application. Now I read that the consulate is on strike! They have our passports - so now I don't know what to do.

I am really hoping that when I check the status of our visa application tomorrow that we see the words "ready for pick-up". But not holding our breath on this. We need them for November 10th.

Linda

I really hope that skeleton staff working in the Consulate office has your visa ready for pick up. I have been unable to find out if anyone got their visas processed since August 22. Oceania reps have been told by the visa services that the Brazilian consulate staff working in the visa section "are not allowed to go on strike". This statement is very misleading. The union representing the Brazilian foreign workers allow 30% of their members to remain working during the strike. That 30% represent the entire consulate. How many are working in the visa dept is anyone's guess...again..just saying..caveat emptor

Linda

Can you call them to see if will be ready to pick up before going there ?

Our visa was stamped August 24, 2016 and we arrive in Rio on November 14, so it is all good.

I sent it to be processed the second week in August. I also had to send a copy of our flights also the consulate knew when we were arriving in Brazil. Our visa is good for 10 years.

sorry, just read your post and your visa was processed post strike, good to know some visas are still trickling through. Anyone in Canada getting their visas?

I knew we would need a visa, but didn't realize it was such an onerous process until I read the consulate web site. Maybe it was the translation, but it seemed to have quite an unfriendly tone. And $160 per person. Oh well, it is what it is

I knew we would need a visa, but didn't realize it was such an onerous process until I read the consulate web site. Maybe it was the translation, but it seemed to have quite an unfriendly tone. And $160 per person. Oh well, it is what it is

Maybe they just don't want us to visit Brazil. From what I read about Rio and the Olympics they sure did not put their best foot forward. Hope everyone gets their visas in time and all have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

I submitted my application for a Brazilian Visa to a visa agency in Los Angeles on August 23rd. The visa was issued on September 8th. I received my passport with the Brazilian visa by FedEx today. I am very happy that the service was so prompt. I am very pleased with both the visa agency and the Brazilian consulate in Los Angeles.

This may explain the horse apples going on with our Visa. We are on the same cruise as Bobocasey. We sent our passports through our travel agent to an experienced "expediter" in Houston the first week of August.

We are still waiting. We have had the usual "families and coaches and media" excuses from the Olympics/Paralympics. They have asked for copies of our driver's licenses (mine, unfortunately, expires in October. I renewed my license last Friday, but don't get the final license for two-three weeks, but that doesn't work for these cretins). They wanted information on where our parents were born (mine are long-deceased and my in-laws are memory deprived).

So today, we sent our TA copies of MY birth certificate, my passport card and global entry card, and our marriage certificate. They have enough stuff to totally steal my identify now. I am thinking that they are completely crazy, completely incompetent or don't care. I don't want to eat $25,000 of travel but would love to tell the Brazilians to stuff it. I guess I could send in my DNA report from 23andMe. Very upset...

I do alot of visas for work. ALWAYS use a trusted VISA service. For Oceania use CIBT/Visa Central -- only because it is what O recommends and you have cause if they cannot get your Visa on time. For Brazil I would recommend using O prepaid Visa for same reason.

The reason they asked for your driver's license is to prove residence. Their consulates are restricted to serve only those residents covered in their district. Your Visa service should know which alternative documents are accepted - like electric, cable, credit card bills, apartment lease.

Do not complain about them -- if you are a Brazilian getting a US visa -- you have to appear in person for an interview months in advance.

We have found ourselves in an odd situation - and not in a good way. Just booked a great fare on a cruise to Brazil, leaving the end of November. By the time we booked, it was no longer an option to use Oceania's visa service, as it was less than 90 days out from the sail date.

We immediately started the visa process, using an expediter who has good reviews and was recommended to us. But with this strike, who knows if the visa will be issued in time. Meanwhile, our passports are with the expediter, who told us to expect the visas by the second week of October.

Since the cruise is paid for, as well as our own airfare, we will be out a significant amount of money should we be unable to get the visas/passports back in time.

I understand that there have been numerous and similar strikes in the past - does anyone have any information as to how long these strikes have lasted in the past?

This may explain the horse apples going on with our Visa. We are on the same cruise as Bobocasey. We sent our passports through our travel agent to an experienced "expediter" in Houston the first week of August.

We are still waiting. We have had the usual "families and coaches and media" excuses from the Olympics/Paralympics. They have asked for copies of our driver's licenses (mine, unfortunately, expires in October. I renewed my license last Friday, but don't get the final license for two-three weeks, but that doesn't work for these cretins). They wanted information on where our parents were born (mine are long-deceased and my in-laws are memory deprived).

So today, we sent our TA copies of MY birth certificate, my passport card and global entry card, and our marriage certificate. They have enough stuff to totally steal my identify now. I am thinking that they are completely crazy, completely incompetent or don't care. I don't want to eat $25,000 of travel but would love to tell the Brazilians to stuff it. I guess I could send in my DNA report from 23andMe. Very upset...

As Paul stated, you have to follow their instructions completely. We live in Houston and have to use the Consulate in town. We did our visa's ourselves checked and double checked all the paperwork and went to the consulate for our appointment and were in and out in 15 minutes with Visa's in our passports. Watched a few of the people before us have to leave and get some of the information that was clearly specified in the instructions. We found Brazil to be relatively easy, especially in Houston where we didn't need bank records or other things other consulates require and do the Visa while you wait. Think about all of the screw ups from the US Government and how they mishandle almost anything they touch but, at least for us by completely following the written instructions, we had our visa's in 15 minutes. Good for the Brazilian Houston Consulate.

I do alot of visas for work. ALWAYS use a trusted VISA service. For Oceania use CIBT/Visa Central -- only because it is what O recommends and you have cause if they cannot get your Visa on time. For Brazil I would recommend using O prepaid Visa for same reason.

The reason they asked for your driver's license is to prove residence. Their consulates are restricted to serve only those residents covered in their district. Your Visa service should know which alternative documents are accepted - like electric, cable, credit card bills, apartment lease.

Do not complain about them -- if you are a Brazilian getting a US visa -- you have to appear in person for an interview months in advance.

I understand the need for driver's license to prove residence but why do they need to know where one's parents were born - what possible difference does it make? :confused:

What if my parents were born in Austro-Hungarian Empire pre WW I? Would that disqualify me from getting a Brazilian visa? :D