Is Sirena As Bad As They Say ?

curtdesilets

Although there are only 38 reviews so far on Cruise Critic, the average rating is 3 stars and only 50% of respondents loved it. That is the lowest of any Oceania Ship.

We are seriously considering the 10-Day Dec 11 cruise out of Los Angeles.

Regatta last summer in Alaska was absolutely wonderful. I just cannot imagine Sirena being as bad as they are touting it.

Anyone here been on Sirena lately? I am thinking perhaps it is just the "breaking in" period.

We are on board right now and the ship is beautiful, service excellent. We have no reason to complain.

We did have one night of extremely slow service in the GDR but we were a table of 8, which in my experience is always slower than smaller tables.

Mura

My brother is currently on Oceania Sierna with low expectations after reading the reviews. This is his first Oceania cruise. He just sent me an e-mail. He stated the food on Sierna better than on Crystal. He has cruised numerous times on Crystal and Regent. Also, he states coffee on Sierna better than on Crystal. Good entertainment on Sierna. He states better than expected he states maybe because cruise is transatlantic. Sierna has best and most comfortable library of any cruise ship he has been on. Service he says is very good though not quite as personable as Crystal. His room especially the bathroom is much smaller than Crystal. He states Sierna may now be his favorite cruise ship. There you have it.

Customer complaints tend to significantly outnumber complements (7 to 1 to more than 26 to 1, depending on industry). I seriously doubt Sirena is "bad" since Oceania has made a tremendous investment to protect its brand.

From my experience cruising on Regatta as well as interacting with O shore side everything has been very good to excellent.

Edited by Classiccruiser777
Typo

Although there are only 38 reviews so far on Cruise Critic, the average rating is 3 stars and only 50% of respondents loved it. That is the lowest of any Oceania Ship.

His room especially the bathroom is much smaller than Crystal. He states Sierna may now be his favorite cruise ship. There you have it.

Regent's new Explorer isn't doing much better - only 59% of respondents have loved it.

His room is much smaller than Crystal? Crystal Veranda cabins are only 246 square feet, and it's usually Crystal that is noted for small cabins.

His room is much smaller than Crystal? Crystal Veranda cabins are only 246 square feet, and it's usually Crystal that is noted for small cabins.

Most cabins below PH are 165 sq ft some are less ;)

I will be on the 12/11 Sirena and cant wait..cannot imagine it being any less than great

Can I ask why all of a sudden we have to go through lists of cruises people have gone on..I know I can skip it (I could post my 75) ..but personally I think its silly (like bragging) to post them and truthfully IMHO NBC

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

I will be on the 12/11 Sirena and cant wait..cannot imagine it being any less than great

Can I ask why all of a sudden we have to go through lists of cruises people have gone on..I know I can skip it (I could post my 75) ..but personally I think its silly (like bragging) to post them and truthfully IMHO NBC

Jancruz1

Jan click on USER CP then find the"edit options" then "edit thread details " uncheck the box to see signatures then SAVE ..you will not see them again

You can always look at the person's profile if you want

Edited by LHT28

I think we are going to book it. Dec 11 LA-LA

And sorry for listing the string of cruises we have been on. I started that when it was a trend years ago. Now I use it as a running travel log as I forget some of them.

For a couple of 50 year olds however, I do like our accomplishment so far :D

Jan click on USER CP then find the"edit options" then "edit thread details " uncheck the box to see signatures then SAVE ..you will not see them again

Thanks Lyn,

I didnt know I could do that...

Jancruz1

And sorry for listing the string of cruises we have been on. I started that when it was a trend years ago. Now I use it as a running travel log as I forget some of them.

I look forward to meeting you on the cruise..

Jancruz1

I look forward to meeting you on the cruise..

Jancruz1

With 75 cruises under your belt, we could always use a few more tips. We were on Regatta last summer and fell in love with that ship. Sirena, from what I've gathered is almost identical, except for a couple of specialty restaurant changes. We are looking forward to a compare and contrast since Regatta is still in our short term memory.

Jancruz1

I find the lists of cruises very valuable and they certainly are not occurring all of a sudden. They have been a feature of these boards for many years.

If a cruiser has been sailing for many years (like me) the list might help to determine the age of the cruiser and how much experience he has about cruising in general. Someone who has sailed on only one or two cruise lines might have a more prejudiced view than someone who can compare a large number of cruise lines. And, if I am sailing on, say, Celebrity, I am always interested to see if the poster has sailed more than just once or twice on that line.

It is always a pleasure when someone writes to me after recognizing a cruise ship on my list that is no longer sailing and we can chat about it. I had an especially interesting dialogue with someone who was on the staff of the old P&O Oriana when I sailed on her in 1970. Another time it was a chat with someone who had sailed on Royal Cruise Lines' Crown Odyssey. The same with the QE2.

I do understand your comment about bragging but I always read these lists and it sometimes influences how much I value an opinion. Your point of view is well taken and try to keep my list as concise and clear as possible.

You have expressed exactly what I was thinking. The biggest thing for me is trying to remember when we went on these various cruises. My wife and I took our first cruise in 2001 on the brand new Celebrity Infinity to Alaska. It was such a great experience that we got hooked on cruising from there on.

I think our favorite cruise of that era was the Baltic in 2004 on Constellation. The Baltic Cruise was a relatively rare and exotic cruise at that time, and the itinerary we chose on Celebrity was also quite unique. Starting in Stockholm and ending in London visiting 10 countries in 14 days. Celebrity by far was the best Cruise line of the early 2000's, IMO.

By having that running log on our signature, it can reiterate those memories and as you say, allow other CC members to evaluate and or share in those experiences.

For instance, I can tell you had the same Celebrity experience as we did, and also that you have been on Regatta 3 times (to our 2). Thus we have a connection.

I also noticed that you will be on Sirena right after we disembark from her.

But Jan is right, it does take up a lot of space. I do like how you minimized yours as much as possible. - Curt (OP)

Edited by curtdesilets
Celebrity elaboration/Sirena note

I find the lists of cruises very valuable and they certainly are not occurring all of a sudden. They have been a feature of these boards for many years.

If a cruiser has been sailing for many years (like me) the list might help to determine the age of the cruiser and how much experience he has about cruising in general. Someone who has sailed on only one or two cruise lines might have a more prejudiced view than someone who can compare a large number of cruise lines. And, if I am sailing on, say, Celebrity, I am always interested to see if the poster has sailed more than just once or twice on that line.

It is always a pleasure when someone writes to me after recognizing a cruise ship on my list that is no longer sailing and we can chat about it. I had an especially interesting dialogue with someone who was on the staff of the old P&O Oriana when I sailed on her in 1970. Another time it was a chat with someone who had sailed on Royal Cruise Lines' Crown Odyssey. The same with the QE2.

I do understand your comment about bragging but I always read these lists and it sometimes influences how much I value an opinion. Your point of view is well taken and try to keep my list as concise and clear as possible.

I more or less agree. Especially about valuing an opinion. On the smaller boards like this one most of the regulars tend to know the background and experience of the other posters. On the larger boards like Celebrity it's hard to keep track with all the coming and going.

Mine just got too big, even all cramped up in one paragraph in a small font.

I keep mine in a word document along with the itineraries for each trip.

I did this at least 5 years ago if not more. I hate going thru all that to read the posts. you can also change from 20 post per page to 10. i find it easier for me too.

I did this at least 5 years ago if not more. I hate going thru all that to read the posts. you can also change from 20 post per page to 10. i find it easier for me too.

Lots of options in the USER CP

lots of people never look there

Lots of options in the USER CP

lots of people never look there

I may have told this story before, but I once had lunch on a Shorex with a woman who I did not know, but who knew of ME from Cruise Critic.

She went on and on and on about how odd it was that threads kept appearing and disappearing with no rhyme or reason.

It took me the entire meal to realize that she had never learned to change pages, and thus thought that Page one of each Board was all that existed.

Thank GOD that the restaurant in question served alcohol. :D

:D:D

I remember that story

Also people cannot find their roll calls that were started earlier in the year thinking someone deleted them

They do not know you can display more threads by changing the default at the bottom of the page ;)

I may have told this story before, but I once had lunch on a Shorex with a woman who I did not know, but who knew of ME from Cruise Critic.

She went on and on and on about how odd it was that threads kept appearing and disappearing with no rhyme or reason.

It took me the entire meal to realize that she had never learned to change pages, and thus thought that Page one of each Board was all that existed.

:D:D:D seriously. when i was new I knew to change pages. but more on threads-i felt if it was not on page one then it could not be that important to me.. it was another poster who told me to go to User CP to get rid on the long lists of ships etc.. i was getting very very tired going from post to post with 50 ships in between.

Why do you feel that you need to apologize for doing what 99.9 % of posters do----

We have done 125 cruises and feel BLESSED that we had the resources and the health to do that!

You should be PROUD of your accomplishments!