Toscana/Polo Reservations

Classiccruiser777

what you get is your 1 or 2 reservations that are, pre cruise guaranteed, and yes any passenger you invite will need to use their allotted pre cruise reservation.

But wait !! unlike some inclusive lines like Crystal, where you get but 1 specialty and must pay for any additional visits to on board specialty dining, Oceania has no such limit,....

.Thats right any and all passengers from the owners suite to the insides can, once on board make as many additional reservations as they choose in whatever specialty venue they want...no charge, no restrictions.

All you have to do is by 8am every morning trudge to the concierge by reception or the mater d' desk at the Terrace Cafe and simply ask for any openings for that days seating. Your chances are excellent if you opt for a share table and late or off time seating.

On longer cruises over 14-18 days it is much easier to get something almost every night for the cruise. Thats, remember, over and above your guaranteed reservations !

On a recent 17 day and 34 day, I could have had almost every day in a specialty restaurant if thats what you wanted.. but you should not get in a rut in any one pattern... do em' all many times... And to help you plan Oceania now will deliver to your cabin , the night before the lunch and dinner menus for terrace and main dining room so you can plan in advance. !

The only problem with the specialities is you will miss the wonderful up scale Terrace with its au fresco patio on the stern or, the wonderful main dining room. Neither is anything but excellent.

Oceania unlike others dosen't serve sub par meals in either Terrace or Main Dining, in order to steer passengers to drop cash in the "extra cost specialties" they try to sell.

Also, the quality of the meals in just the ships main dining room are as good or better than many lines "pay extra specialty place.

Bottom Line you can't loose what ever you do..and you have proably the best, most flexible, dining options your going to find on any ship any where.

Edited by Hawaiidan

Slightly veering off topic here but following on from Hawaiidan's excellent post above - am I right in thinking that The Terrace offers the GDR's evening meals as well as a different selection? Also do you have to ask for the menus for the next day to be delivered, or is this something they do automatically? On previous cruises, it's been my job to go and take pictures of the menu outside the MDR and let Marital Unit see them so we can make a decision on whether to make the trip, so particularly happy if they arrive so he can decide what he fancies. I've not cruised with Oceania yet, but know from experience that after a long tour I am generally too tired to do the full "Look lovely for dinner" shenanigans, and if I can slum it clothing wise a little to go to the Terrace, that would make this weary traveller's holiday much easier. We will definitely be doing the pre 8am trick for extra dining reservations - what a fab tip - thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Slightly veering off topic here but following on from Hawaiidan's excellent post above - am I right in thinking that The Terrace offers the GDR's evening meals as well as a different selection? Also do you have to ask for the menus for the next day to be delivered, or is this something they do automatically? On previous cruises, it's been my job to go and take pictures of the menu outside the MDR and let Marital Unit see them so we can make a decision on whether to make the trip, so particularly happy if they arrive so he can decide what he fancies. I've not cruised with Oceania yet, but know from experience that after a long tour I am generally too tired to do the full "Look lovely for dinner" shenanigans, and if I can slum it clothing wise a little to go to the Terrace, that would make this weary traveller's holiday much easier. We will definitely be doing the pre 8am trick for extra dining reservations - what a fab tip - thank you!

They usually offer some of the same dishes in the Terrace as the GDR but not all plus there grill in the Terrace offers cooked to order meats/seafood

Depends on the cabin & the ship if you get menus or not

The R ships they include the next days menu in the Daily CURRENTS

The O class ships they do not you have to go check the menu outside the GDR ....now if you have a Butler he could get the menus for you

If you can manage to slum it it in a pr of nice slacks (think dockers) & polo shirt for dinner you can slum it in the GDR unless you like jumping up & down for your courses

(I do not) personal choice

if in a PH or above you can have your meal served in the cabin by your butler

P.S. you do not have to go pre 8am to ask for specialty reservations just show up before 10 am ;)

or again if you have a butler ask them to get extra seatings for you

Enjoy the cruise

Edited by LHT28

ToxM,

Perhaps if you check out the Terrace the first night and compare the offerings with the MDR, that will give you a better idea of how it compares with the MDR offerings.

Don't forget that you can have lobster tails/jumbo shrimp from the grill every night (as well as many other selections from the grill) in addition to the salads, sushi, hot dishes, etc. Also, they alternate fresh pasta stations and stir fry stations at the Terrace - lots of choices there in a casual setting.

If you are in a PH or higher, you can dine in your suite from the specialties if you prefer or if you cannot get additional reservations in the restaurants.

PS - which ship are you on?

Edited by Paulchili

LH and Paul, thank you for your replies :) We are hoping to be on Nautica next year. We are still umming and ahhhing a little about itineraries..It will probably be Nautica, due to number of days (I want 21, he wants 10 :S ). Thank you again for your replies, very useful :)

First, you will get automatically , with the evening info delevery, the menus and will NOT have to ask for them.

Second the Terrace is a "buffet style" and you dont order off any menu and cant order the selections as offered in the Main dining room. BUT, and here is the good part.....the Terrace, every night, n will offer not only many of the menu items, but will offer several of the menu items from Polo, Toscana,Jacques and Red Ginger that you can select from the buffet

you can thus make a pretty creative sort of "DIM SUM" meal picking from stuff from ALL the restaurants .

To tell you the truth, this is a very enjoyable and fun way to go..where you can pick from a selection far more diverse and interesting than any one singular venue Thats the deal every night.. Imagine having escargot en croute, a trimbal of wild mushrooms , lobster tail and Beef wellington and fresh pasta with a basil cream. and capers. Pertty cool.

I suggested 8 am to request more reservations as that gets you a better chance than waiting till 10 am... I have an aversion to butlers do stuff which I can easily do my self...

Edited by Hawaiidan

Had it delivered to our PH on Regatta and Insignia every time we sailed. Requested it on Riviera and Marina (PH both times) and never got one - always had to go look. Really, really liked getting the copy the evening before so we could manage our dining schedule.

Had it delivered to our PH on Regatta and Insignia every time we sailed. Requested it on Riviera and Marina (PH both times) and never got one -

Would your Butler not get you a copy on the O class ships?

I think they only automatically come the night before on the R class ships all cabin cat AFAIK

Had it delivered to our PH on Regatta and Insignia every time we sailed. Requested it on Riviera and Marina (PH both times) and never got one - always had to go look. Really, really liked getting the copy the evening before so we could manage our dining schedule.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if those menus were available on the TVs in your room on ALL ships? It's really not that difficult in this day & age and just think of how many trees, ink and labor we could save that way.

Is Oceania reading this? :D

Just made our dining reservations for the upcoming cruise. So then, the question--cruise is 10 days and our suite would allow us to make two reservations in each of the specialty restaurants, but we are traveling with friends who only get one advance reservation. I made our two reservations for the first 2 days of the cruise, so, after we board, when can I make reservations (we are a group of 8 so a little more complicated than usual).

We will be sailing on the Marina, and are more than willing to share tables in the specialty dining rooms. Since we have not sailed in the past, if we do not want to eat at the very earliest time, what is usually the next time available? Just guessing that they have certain set times to allow people to eat their dinner, or do they stagger it? Our preference would be to eat around 7:15 to 7:30 PM

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We will be sailing on the Marina, and are more than willing to share tables in the specialty dining rooms. Since we have not sailed in the past, if we do not want to eat at the very earliest time, what is usually the next time available? Just guessing that they have certain set times to allow people to eat their dinner, or do they stagger it? Our preference would be to eat around 7:15 to 7:30 PM

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have seen 6:30, 7:00, 7:30 8:00 & 9:00 pm listed

sometimes when you go to reserve you may not see all those times for the date you want so pick the one that suits you best

Sharing gives you more options usually

You can always go to the Restaurant reservations deck (deck 5) if the times you could get were not suitable & see if they have times more to your liking or if you want to try for extra seatings

Your guess that there are set times in the specialty restaurants is wrong. Neither the specialty restaurants nor the MDR serves meals at set times.

Oceania's specialty restaurants book tables on a staggered basis like a land-based restaurant. If you like to eat around 7:15, then try for that time slot. If it isn't available Day 1, look at availability on Day 2, etc. (The time slots may be on the hour and half-hour rather than the quarter hour, but you'll realize that soon enough.) If a specific time is important, you'll have more luck getting your desired reservation if you're willing to share, and your post indicates you know that already.

The MDR seats people as they show up at the maitre d' stand continuously throughout the dining period.

On Oceania, the only time you lose all control of the start time of your meal is if you're sailing on Marina and Riviera and if you choose to book a meal at La Reserve. At La Reserve, the tasting menu is served simultaneously to everyone booking that night.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Already tried this--was told "no"

I did this when I made online reservations for my cruise last July

Maybe they changed the policy

But if you called and asked ...... reps are usually not very knowledgeable

Try doing it on line

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did this when I made online reservations for my cruise last July

Maybe they changed the policy

But if you called and asked ...... reps are usually not very knowledgeable

Try doing it on line

Online was a total fail. We have two reservations so will just wait for the rest

Maybe the policy changed. It was unfair as it allowed guests to bypass the reservation hierarchy

Actually, that Policy didn't/ doesn't violate the hierarchy.

The Guest in the higher category cabin makes the anchor reservation as normal (with the proviso that they agree to "share"), and then others who wish to dine with them add their names to that table AS THEIR RESERVATION TIMELINES ALLOW-, by virtue of having access to the original guests' booking number and reservation details.

The sole "advantage", if there is one, is that like minded passengers, across all cabin categories, may arrange to dine with friends easily.

Actually, that Policy didn't/ doesn't violate the hierarchy.

The Guest in the higher category cabin makes the anchor reservation as normal (with the proviso that they agree to "share"), and then others who wish to dine with them add their names to that table AS THEIR RESERVATION TIMELINES ALLOW-, by virtue of having access to the original guests' booking number and reservation details.

The sole "advantage", if there is one, is that like minded passengers, across all cabin categories, may arrange to dine with friends easily.

I want to make sure I understand your post because what you've written appears to describe de facto early reservations even if the actual reservation occurs later on the timeline for lower category rooms.

To keep things straight I'll refer to Guest A (high category booking), Guest B (friend of A but booked in a lower category) and Guest C (same high category as A but a stranger.) For the purpose of this example, everyone is trying for the same restaurant on the same night and time slot.

We're in agreement that Guest A makes the anchor reservation with the proviso that they agree to share. That's straightforward enough. My understanding of what happens next is where we diverge.

Theoretically, nothing should keep Guest C from booking the open seats at Guest A's table. Guest C is willing to share and his/her reservation timeline is active. The table has been booked by people who have said they're willing to share. So despite the fact that Guest C wants a shared table at that very day and time, he/she isn't assigned to those seats. We know this because they're still available weeks later when Guest B is able to make reservations. That's the situation that is causing people to complain about violating the hierarchy.

You've written that Guest B has given received details of the reservation from friend Guest A. Doesn't Guest A also provide information to the reservation system about sharing with specific guests, literally Guest B's name and room number?

If so, and if that information is effectively blocking Guest C from filling those seats, then low-category Guest B has a de facto reservation earlier then his/her timeline allows. It's only a minor technicality that Guest B still is required to complete the reservation when his/her timeline goes active.

When an available seat gets taken out of inventory for a lower-level guest people are right to complain. A de facto reservation is just as unfair as a formal reservation; the hierarchy has been violated.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

YIKES talk about confusing

I usually book a non sharing table then when our friends that usually get an inside time slot opens I call & ask to add them to the reservation

We have also just booked the same date & time when our time slot come up then once onboard ask to put us at the same table