Cahuita National Park from Limon detailed information

wlbox

We just returned from our cruise and want to share some information for a great and cheap day trip from Limon.

You need to have a sense of adventure, but the payoff is fantastic.

My husband and I walked off the Island Princess at 7:30 and quickly went through the vendor building to exit the port. Turn left and walk about 8 minutes along this main street to the MEPE bus terminal. This is the local bus company. Go up to the ticket window and purchase a ticket from Limon to Cahuita using US $$$. Give them $6 and you will get two one way tickets and change given back in colones.

We got on the 8:00 bus on a Sunday morning. The bus is not air conditioned but the windows open and you will be fine. It is safe and you will spend time with the locals. The bus stops along the way to drop off and pick up other passengers. You take the road that follows the coast line. it also passes the Sloth Sanctuary.

At 9:00 we pulled into the small Cahuita bus station. Exit the station and walk to the right along the road about 5 minutes into the tiny town. Very safe. You are heading to Kelly Creek entrance for the National Park. There is no entrance fee, but they do accept donations. You can get a guide here. There is also bathrooms and ooutdoor cold showers. You find the beginning of the level walking trail here. Passing swim beach and campsites, picnic tables. It was a Sunday so there were families out enjoying the day together.

The path is very easy to follow and you can find wildlife all over. Just walk slowly and listen. We did not have a guide. Groups of monkeys in the trees. Leaf cutter ants, a snake sleeping on a branch. A park ranger pointed out a sloth sleeping in the tree. Shore birds. No problem with mosquitos or other biting insects.

We stopped and swam in the calm warm ocean. Fantastic.

You come to a place where you must cross a small river, the water is knee deep.

Continue along the path to the Point. We met another park ranger here more picnic tables. Great photo opps with the ocean and palm trees. Walk past the point another 10 minutes and then turn around and walk back.

Monkeys came down to see us. Wonderful photos.

Took a cool fresh water shower before we walked back to the bus station.

The 1:30 bus left at 1:40 and was crowded. Returned to Limon at 3:00.

We spent a total of $11 for the two of us. Very safe, amazing wildlife. Great plants and trees. No bugs. fantastic day.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. We did this on our Island Princess cruise as well and had a wonderful day. The bus station is on the corner on the right side of the main road to the left as you leave the port--if you start at the cross street that goes by the main park it is 5 blocks. We paid the gringo tax on the bus south (no change) but paid less than $5 for the 2 return tickets. It was a beautiful walk through the jungle. There are a couple of bus routes that go south so there is a bus heading that direction every 30 minutes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We are looking at doing this in December, but have a quick question. Does this bus go into Cahuita or does it stop on highway 36 without going into town? Looking at Google Maps there is a buss stop/terminal were La Union meets highway 36 and there is a bust stop/terminal on Calle Principal next to the Hukuna Matata Hostel. I was thinking it was the one on Calle Principal, but looking at the MEPE site I'm just seeing buses that drive past Cahuita (don't go into town) so I'm thinking if they stop it is just the one on highway 36. Thanks for your help

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been on here awhile. We did see a bunch of Howler Monkeys not too far into the park. On the way back we saw a white faced monkey. There was also a very large raccoon, a Basilisk lizard and an iguana as well as some small lizards. We never spotted any snakes or sloths. It was a great experience all the way around. Thanks again for posting your experience. I had wanted to go to Cahuita a few years back when we stopped in Puerto Limon but didn't know if it was feasible. Taking public transportation when we travel is something we love to do.

Edited by mcmarya

• 2 months later...

Haven't been on in months but just noticed I did not answer the question about where the bus stops. If you go on Google Maps and look at Cahuita, it shows the Terminal Cahuita--that is where the bus stops. It is probably 3 blocks or so from the park entrance. It does appear to be next to the Hakuna Matata hotel. I cannot be certain that every bus does stop there but, when we were looking at the schedule, it did appear that all did. Back in January when we were there, there was a bus about every 30 minutes when the 2 routes were considered.

You need to sign in at the park entrance. There is no entrance fee but donations are appreciated. You have to walk a little ways to beaches where swimming is safe--I think the one near the entrance had a red flag.

• 1 month later...
We just returned from our cruise and want to share some information for a great and cheap day trip from Limon.

You need to have a sense of adventure, but the payoff is fantastic.

My husband and I walked off the Island Princess at 7:30 and quickly went through the vendor building to exit the port. Turn left and walk about 8 minutes along this main street to the MEPE bus terminal. This is the local bus company. Go up to the ticket window and purchase a ticket from Limon to Cahuita using US $$$. Give them $6 and you will get two one way tickets and change given back in colones.

We got on the 8:00 bus on a Sunday morning. The bus is not air conditioned but the windows open and you will be fine. It is safe and you will spend time with the locals. The bus stops along the way to drop off and pick up other passengers. You take the road that follows the coast line. it also passes the Sloth Sanctuary.

At 9:00 we pulled into the small Cahuita bus station. Exit the station and walk to the right along the road about 5 minutes into the tiny town. Very safe. You are heading to Kelly Creek entrance for the National Park. There is no entrance fee, but they do accept donations. You can get a guide here. There is also bathrooms and ooutdoor cold showers. You find the beginning of the level walking trail here. Passing swim beach and campsites, picnic tables. It was a Sunday so there were families out enjoying the day together.

The path is very easy to follow and you can find wildlife all over. Just walk slowly and listen. We did not have a guide. Groups of monkeys in the trees. Leaf cutter ants, a snake sleeping on a branch. A park ranger pointed out a sloth sleeping in the tree. Shore birds. No problem with mosquitos or other biting insects.

We stopped and swam in the calm warm ocean. Fantastic.

You come to a place where you must cross a small river, the water is knee deep.

Continue along the path to the Point. We met another park ranger here more picnic tables. Great photo opps with the ocean and palm trees. Walk past the point another 10 minutes and then turn around and walk back.

Monkeys came down to see us. Wonderful photos.

Took a cool fresh water shower before we walked back to the bus station.

The 1:30 bus left at 1:40 and was crowded. Returned to Limon at 3:00.

We spent a total of $11 for the two of us. Very safe, amazing wildlife. Great plants and trees. No bugs. fantastic day.

wlbox, We will be at Puerto Limon Dec. 2016 on NCL Pearl. I would very much like to do Cahuita National Park like you guys did. Only difference is our ship gets there at 0900 hrs. instead of 0730 hr. In your opinion is it still a good idea, with much later arrival. Don't want to miss the boat. Your input.

wlbox, We will be at Puerto Limon Dec. 2016 on NCL Pearl. I would very much like to do Cahuita National Park like you guys did. Only difference is our ship gets there at 0900 hrs. instead of 0730 hr. In your opinion is it still a good idea, with much later arrival. Don't want to miss the boat. Your input.

Are you going to be on the Dec 8th sailing of the Pearl? If you are and are on the roll call for that cruise I apologize as I don't recognize your user name. We are on that cruise and this is our plan. The Pearl (for Dec 8th) docks at 9:00 but doesn't leave until 6:00 pm. The original poster mentioned being back at 3:00 pm by taking the 1:40ish bus. So with a couple extra hours I would think it's enough.

We are planning on going as soon as possible so we should get their between 10:00 or 10:30 and we will plan on taking a bus bag around 3:00. So it should have about 4.5-5 hours there. That's only around .5-1 hour less then the OP. We are planning on that being enough time.