What to do in GT???

Mom2boyz522

I'm a single mom going with two boys-13 and 16.

If we are only in port 7-3 would you recommend as few hours looking around town, possibly by taxi, then winding up at Jack's Shack for the beach?

What must we see?

What is the Conch Graveyard?

Didn't I read about a site for John Glenn too?

THANKS!

We've been there 4 times and never made it into town.

Frankly, I think your kids would enjoy the Margaritaville Pool or the beach near the pier more than going to Jack's. (And I can't believe I just said that as Jack's is where we always go). They have plenty of chairs and the beach will be more lively there.

As far as the Conch Graveyard, when you get to the end of the pier look to your right, that is the direction you will want to go. Go through the store / "welcome" area and when you exit head to the right until you get to the shore, then start walking. You will go past the excursion pier and the ground will get more coral than sand. Keep walking until you start seeing the conch shells. You will need to walk a bit farther than when you first see them to find nice ones...The "low hanging fruit" will be picked over.

As far as the Mercury / John Glenn monument, it is a replica of the "Friendship 7" splashing down. It is right in the cruise port and is worth a minute and a half of your time to maybe take a photo of the kids with it!

We've been there 4 times and never made it into town.

Frankly, I think your kids would enjoy the Margaritaville Pool or the beach near the pier more than going to Jack's. (And I can't believe I just said that as Jack's is where we always go). They have plenty of chairs and the beach will be more lively there.

As far as the Conch Graveyard, when you get to the end of the pier look to your right, that is the direction you will want to go. Go through the store / "welcome" area and when you exit head to the right until you get to the shore, then start walking. You will go past the excursion pier and the ground will get more coral than sand. Keep walking until you start seeing the conch shells. You will need to walk a bit farther than when you first see them to find nice ones...The "low hanging fruit" will be picked over.

As far as the Mercury / John Glenn monument, it is a replica of the "Friendship 7" splashing down. It is right in the cruise port and is worth a minute and a half of your time to maybe take a photo of the kids with it!

Hi again Neighbor!

Is there shops for silly/cheap souvenirs around these places too?

I think we are going to do al for places just as you suggested!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi again Neighbor!

Is there shops for silly/cheap souvenirs around these places too?

I think we are going to do al for places just as you suggested!

Yes, right at the pier/Margaritaville area, there are a number of stores and souvenir shops. They do have a surf simulator at M'Ville as well that your boys might like. It's right between the pool and the beach.

• 2 months later...

So glad you asked this, I'm a single mom going with my 2 boys, 16 & 13 too! We are going in August, we will be in GT from 12pm-6pm, and I think there is 1 other ship in port that day. I'm pretty sure we will be staying right there at M'ville and doing the pool/beach and they can do the Flo Rider thing while I do the frozen drink by the water thing.

OK so if I'm not a beach guy what is the main attraction going here?

Just looking to see what might be something different or fun.

I know the problem becomes "what do you want to do?." Every island has very similar things but what is a can't miss here?

I know the problem becomes "what do you want to do?." Every island has very similar things but what is a can't miss here?

As mentioned, not a lot to do, but some are willing to do a little research to learn about a place, or just hire a car and explore. Turks puts out fancy stamps and there is a small stamp museum in town, or add to your/someone's stamp collection. There are birding circuits and a history of collecting salt so still have the under road canals and things to see. The island was hit by a hurricane a few years ago and hasn't regained its 'past splendor' (which wasn't much to start with). It is a low semi arid island so not a lot of 'pretty' stuff to see either.

If you are not the 'exploring to see what's new' type, then it will be a low key port.

I am not a beach person either so I took a tour of the island. There really isn't much to see. The roads are horrible. Huge potholes!

I'm going back in March and will stay near the port.

Sue

I am not a beach person either so I took a tour of the island. There really isn't much to see. The roads are horrible. Huge potholes!

I'm going back in March and will stay near the port.

Sue

Think I will do a Segway tour here and go to margaritaville. It's one of the largest anywhere

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I'm not a hang out on the beach type of person either. I love to snorkel (and snorkeling and diving the wall are a must do) but this next trip, I think my main goal is to find and eat as much cracked conch as possible. :) We will go to town for lunch and eat some there and then come back to see if any of the beach bars have it and eat some more.

I'm going to read all the suggestions from everyone. We stop in GT in October and have 13 yr old twins.

Are you allowed to bring a conch from the graveyard back onto the ship? My DD collects shells.

Edited by RCmommy

I'm going to read all the suggestions from everyone. We stop in GT in October and have 13 yr old twins.

Are you allowed to bring a conch from the graveyard back onto the ship? My DD collects shells.

Many countries have laws now about the removal of natural resources(which include shells, bark, rocks, etc). There are also laws about bringing in certain natural resources into your home country. Conch is at times considered endangered in US waters. There are overfishing issues in the Caribbean. A conch shell is also hard to hide due to size and shape.

I assume commercially purchased shells could be identified as to place of origin, but if brought from the wild, how can you prove it was not illegally removed in US waters?

I am sure as a parent you would want your Kids to understand the laws of removing or importing delicate natural resources. Perhaps she could change the collection to photos of beautuful shells in location.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's the Batik place

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147375-d2645837-r157854647-Caribelle_Batik-Basseterre_St_Kitts_St_Kitts_and_Nevis.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Thanks so much for the info!

Hey there! Small world!

OMG! I live in Horsham too...seriously!! Right off the power line trail. This is indeed a small world! I was just talking to my kids about this port today as we are on carnival in August and thought about visiting this section on the boards. We're thinking of keeping it simple and staying at the margaritaville pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by mibarron