The gorgeous beaches of the BVI

blue_water

Hi Blue Water,

Just wanted to thank you for your incredible advice and information! We just returned from the Gem 10 day and went to Brewers Bay on our own. Taxis were handled so efficiently -- right at the dispatch center at the end of the pier. Our driver was awesome, very cautious, and returned to get us at our agreed-upon time. We paid him upon the return trip. My husband had been concerned since time in port was so short, but this ran so smoothly! Thanks again for the advice -- we had a beautiful morning of snorkeling at this gorgeous beach!

CTGen04

Thanks for your feedback - glad you enjoyed Brewers and your time on Tortola. It is my favorite island!

Thanks for all of this info. What was looking to be a stay on the boat day and venturing over to Pusser's is now shaping up as going to Brewers. Hopefully making it to Pussers on the way back as well as Sunny Caribbee.

The beach was really beautiful -- I hope that you enjoy it!

Thanks Blue Water. There should be one of you on every island thread. You are so helpful.

We will be arriving on the NCL Breakaway in February. How long does it take to get to Brewers Beach? Is this the closest beach? Thanks.

Laurie

Hi Laurie, you're so nice! :o

The safari taxis go to CGB and Brewers and they're both about 20 min ride over Sage Mountain. There are beaches on the same side of the island as the cruise pier and a little closer, but Brewers is a much nicer beach and we'd go there.

Enjoy Tortola!

Hi Blue Water. I may be thinking too much, but I get motion sickness and maybe it is best not to go on the winding roads of Tortola.

Is there a beach you can get to without the winding roads? I am sorry if someone asked this before but I am all mixed up with reading up on 8 islands.

If so, how long to get there and would you know aprx. taxi fare?

Thanks so much. You are the BEST!

Laurie

Hi Blue Water,

Just wanted to thank you for your incredible advice and information! We just returned from the Gem 10 day and went to Brewers Bay on our own. Taxis were handled so efficiently -- right at the dispatch center at the end of the pier. Our driver was awesome, very cautious, and returned to get us at our agreed-upon time. We paid him upon the return trip. My husband had been concerned since time in port was so short, but this ran so smoothly! Thanks again for the advice -- we had a beautiful morning of snorkeling at this gorgeous beach!

CTGen04

Thanks for the update CTGen. Hubby and I are considering this trip to Brewer's Bay on our own on our Escape cruise in a few weeks. Can you confirm the taxi was $8.00 pp each way? I've seen some links with much higher rates at $20-$25 pp.

Thanks for all of this info. What was looking to be a stay on the boat day and venturing over to Pusser's is now shaping up as going to Brewers. Hopefully making it to Pussers on the way back as well as Sunny Caribbee.

What is Pussers abd Sunny Caribbee?

Thanks for the update CTGen. Hubby and I are considering this trip to Brewer's Bay on our own on our Escape cruise in a few weeks. Can you confirm the taxi was $8.00 pp each way? I've seen some links with much higher rates at $20-$25 pp.

The fare for 1 person is $24 each way, $12pp for 2, and $8pp for 3 or more. Even if you are alone you take a safari taxi with others at the $8pp fare.

What is Pussers abd Sunny Caribbee?

There are some small shops near the cruise pier, Sunny Caribbee is a great little spice and rub shop, check their site -

http://www.sunnycaribbee.com

Pusser's Pub is one of several English-style pubs with great beers and food, and they have their own line of clothing.

https://www.pussers.com/t-road-town-pub.aspx

Hi Alpha Kitty,

There were four of us, so the rate was $8pp each way. If you don't have four in your party, you could probably reach out to your roll call and see if others would like to join in to get that rate. We had additional passengers as well, in a closed van -- the safari taxis looked a little too, well, open for me, but the closed van was perfect. You just all have to agree on a return pick up time.

This really worked very well, and it was easy and efficient! Hope you have a great time!

CTGen04

Yes I've read that they now have the taller fully-enclosed buses as well, we'll see how they fare. There was one accident but I haven't read the details of the cause yet. I think I'd prefer the open safari type for the ride but that's just me.

The fare on any shared ride is $8pp, if you want a private taxi you can pay more.

Pusser's Pub is one of several English-style pubs with great beers and food, and they have their own line of clothing.

https://www.pussers.com/t-road-town-pub.aspx

Pusser's is also my favorite rum. Great place to pick up a bottle.

Also we loved the nachos. But that could have just been the hangover making it taste better than they are.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Blue Water,

You are such a wonderful Cruise Critic person with a wealth of information. You have previously given me advice for St. John and Virgin Gorda, so thanks for that.

Do you know anything about Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda? I have a day on Virgin Gorda in March and I am renting a car. I am going to Savannah Bay and The Baths. I know there is a hotel at Little Dix Bay, so I also wondered if anyone can park there to use the beach? I am really looking forward to going back to Savannah Bay. Like a paradise there. :)

Thanks for any help.

Hi Blue Water,

You are such a wonderful Cruise Critic person with a wealth of information. You have previously given me advice for St. John and Virgin Gorda, so thanks for that.

Do you know anything about Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda? I have a day on Virgin Gorda in March and I am renting a car. I am going to Savannah Bay and The Baths. I know there is a hotel at Little Dix Bay, so I also wondered if anyone can park there to use the beach? I am really looking forward to going back to Savannah Bay. Like a paradise there. :)

Thanks for any help.

We have not yet been to LDB so sorry I can't help with the beach question. I do know from friends that lunch at the Pavillion is great, and you can dine at the resort even if not staying there. I think I read they will be closing the Pavillion in May for renovations but you're ok in March. I'd contact the resort and ask them about the beach. One of the VG experts on the Virvin Gorda forum on tripadvisor could also answer that question.

Renting a car is a great way to see VG. Have you been to the Mineshaft Cafe for lunch? Have a great day!

We have not yet been to LDB so sorry I can't help with the beach question. I do know from friends that lunch at the Pavillion is great, and you can dine at the resort even if not staying there. I think I read they will be closing the Pavillion in May for renovations but you're ok in March. I'd contact the resort and ask them about the beach. One of the VG experts on the Virvin Gorda forum on tripadvisor could also answer that question.

Renting a car is a great way to see VG. Have you been to the Mineshaft Cafe for lunch? Have a great day!

Thanks for responding Blue Water. :) Good suggestion about Tripadvisor. Is the Mineshaft cafe down at the top of the baths area? I have not been there. What do you recommend there?

Thanks for responding Blue Water. :) Good suggestion about Tripadvisor. Is the Mineshaft cafe down at the top of the baths area? I have not been there. What do you recommend there?

The Mineshaft Cafe is not far from the top of the Baths. Great sandwiches and their signature drink the Cave In is as fun to watch being made as it is to drink - "It's all in the Juice, Mon!". Great owner and spectacular views, and a great spot for evenings and sunsets too.

http://www.mineshaftbvi.com/

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mine+Shaft+Caf%C3%A9/@18.4516968,-64.4351756,2063m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8c057ed414c596bb:0x4dd79e73bde950d7!6m1!1e1

But a nice drive to LDB for lunch and a stop at Savannah Bay is also a nice day!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone on this thread for all of the valuable information, and especially to blue_water, who so consistently replies to everyone with such useful information. I think that I am leaning toward Long Bay for our July Breakaway cruise. My top priority is avoiding crowds, and we will not be bringing snorkeling gear, so I am not concerned about snorkeling. Plus, my boyfriend usually only likes to hang out on a beach for a couple of hours, so long cab rides there and back are not appealing for just a 2-3 hour beach visit.

So, my question is, would we be able to use the restrooms at Long Bay Resort at the bar/restaurant if we need to while we are there? We'd probably be there in the morning, but I don't think we'd be interested in eating breakfast there, and I don't know how early the bar opens (just thinking about whether we would need to purchase something to use restrooms). We don't need many amenities, but I always like to be sure there's at least a restroom nearby! [emoji4]

Also, I've read varying reviews in terms of lounge chairs there, but some people have mentioned that the resort people allowed them to be used for free. Does anyone know recent information about lounger use/rental? This is not a necessity for us; I am just curious! Thanks again, everyone!

Thanks to everyone on this thread for all of the valuable information, and especially to blue_water, who so consistently replies to everyone with such useful information. I think that I am leaning toward Long Bay for our July Breakaway cruise. My top priority is avoiding crowds, and we will not be bringing snorkeling gear, so I am not concerned about snorkeling. Plus, my boyfriend usually only likes to hang out on a beach for a couple of hours, so long cab rides there and back are not appealing for just a 2-3 hour beach visit.

So, my question is, would we be able to use the restrooms at Long Bay Resort at the bar/restaurant if we need to while we are there? We'd probably be there in the morning, but I don't think we'd be interested in eating breakfast there, and I don't know how early the bar opens (just thinking about whether we would need to purchase something to use restrooms). We don't need many amenities, but I always like to be sure there's at least a restroom nearby! [emoji4]

Also, I've read varying reviews in terms of lounge chairs there, but some people have mentioned that the resort people allowed them to be used for free. Does anyone know recent information about lounger use/rental? This is not a necessity for us; I am just curious! Thanks again, everyone!

Hello, and thank you for your kind words! Last I knew day visitors (and folks staying elsewhere on the island) could indeed enjoy the restaurant and use the restrooms. The lounges are $5pp but you may find unused lounges on the beach. I'm not sure what time the facilities open or if you have to buy something but you can email the Long Bay Beach Club and she will be happy to give you more details.

Enjoy, beautiful beach and island views!

[EDIT] There are less rocks to the right as you face the water.

Edited by blue_water

Hello, and thank you for your kind words! Last I knew day visitors (and folks staying elsewhere on the island) could indeed enjoy the restaurant and use the restrooms. The lounges are $5pp but you may find unused lounges on the beach. I'm not sure what time the facilities open or if you have to buy something but you can email the Long Bay Beach Club and she will be happy to give you more details.

Enjoy, beautiful beach and island views!

[EDIT] There are less rocks to the right as you face the water.

Thank you! I will definitely send an e-mail just to double-check the details. Thanks for the tip about the rocks, too!

Hello again, everyone. I just thought that I would post the information that I received as a reply from someone at the Long Bay Beach Club. She was nice enough to get back to me very quickly. I didn't even ask about day passes because I had read on here that they were no longer available, but she mentioned it anyway:

"I am sorry but we no long sell day passes.

We cannot charge anyone for using the beach. We rent our beach chairs at $5.00 per chair.

The restaurant & bar is open to the public. The restaurant services breakfast, lunch and dinner. The bar I believe is open from 11am – 11pm.

The tennis court can be used at a cost of $25.00 per hour/per court.

The pool is for guests only. We do have a restroom you can use."

I think that's basically what people have shared on here, but I just wanted to pass along the most up-to-date info, because this thread has been so informative and helpful! [emoji4]

• 4 months later...