Best Mofongo?

Juligan

When traveling I like to try "the" dish of the area, which, I have determined, is mofongo in Puerto Rico. Where can I find the best representation of the dish and which kind is the best to order? I would also love to hear about other things that must be tried.

Thanks!

Definitely go to Cafe Puerto Rico in Old San Juan. Try the Mofongo with the sweet plaintain or green plantain. There's also a yucca one but I haven't tried test yet. I always get it with shrimp and its fantastic!

Is Cafe Puerto Rico in Old San Juan far from the cruise port? (Royal Caribbean, Navigator)

Guest maddycat

Whenever we're on a cruise that stops in Puerto Rico we eat at Punto de Vista in Old San Juan. I love the shrimp mofungo with garlic sauce. They also make great mojitos. I really like the coconut mojito. The restaurant is about 4 blocks from where the RCI ships dock.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/punto-de-vista-restaurant-san-juan-2

Edited by maddycat

Whenever we're on a cruise that stops in Puerto Rico we eat at Punto de Vista in Old San Juan. I love the shrimp mofungo with garlic sauce. They also make great mojitos. I really like the coconut mojito. The restaurant is about 4 blocks from where the RCI ships dock.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/punto-de-vista-restaurant-san-juan-2

Thanks Maddycat! This sounds great.

Double check to make sure you are not docked at the Pan American Pier. It is about 3-4 miles from Old San Juan. You'll want to grab a cab. RCCL's website states that they dock at Pan American, not the pier in Old San Juan.

We've also used San Juan Happy Tours while in port. They have a stand outside the gates at the pier. Excellent tour!

Hands down, Punta de Vista Restaurant on the rooftop of Hotel Milano has the best monfongo! Try to grab a guide map from one of the information booths. They usually have a 2 or 1 mojito coupon for Punta de Vista as well. Enjoy :)

Having eaten mofongo only once so far in my life -- a week ago for lunch at Raices during our port call in San Juan -- I can't say what is "best," but this Mofongo Churrasco was FANTASTIC. We picked Raices for lunch based on recommendations here on this board, and we were so glad we'd done so. The people were friendly and, as I already said, the mofongo was incredible, one of the best meals we had on our entire trip.

Mofongo%20at%20Raices_zpszhfonvwb.jpg