Anti viral foam - NOT

Last year I discovered on the forum here that Boots Anti viral hand foam was effective against norovirus as well as bacteria. as I was prone to upset tums on holiday I bought 2 bottles. Yesterday I decided to buy more supplies. Guess what, Boots don't sell it anymore. The active ingredients were by a firm called Byotrol.

Help :eek::eek::eek:

Hi Dave same here I have bought both the large and travel dispenser and when I looked for it in January on line at Boots it said out of stock As I still had some I decided to leave it until I cruised again April and looked again None available so went to Boots and they said they didn't sell it anymore nor the anti bacterial one either. I then tried on line for another supplier of it and could only find a pack of 6 large dispensers which I didn't want. I wonder if they've found it doesn't actually do what it says of the tin and that's why it's been withdrawn - it's a mystery - anyone else have any idea?

I just found a large size available online in the Byotrol produced version. It still states effectiveness against viruses.

I suspect the boots decision to cease selling it is more to do with the price than anything. As for whether it is actually effective, to claim otherwise and continue to do so is surely a breach of various regulations.

I did some more research and it appears that one of the active ingredients is on a European list of potential carcinogens, however further testing by the appropriate authorities failed to draw any definitive conclusion. The ingredient polyaminopropyl biguanide is still used in a lot of consumer products.

Thanks Dave I will have a look - it seems everything turns out to be carcinogenic these days - even margarine - which I must say I have refused to eat since a child unless it was in cake or biscuits- but that was only because I hated the taste and I also love burnt toast after I've scraped it and so far it hasn't done me any harm

• Like 1

Thanks Dave I will have a look - it seems everything turns out to be carcinogenic these days - even margarine - which I must say I have refused to eat since a child unless it was in cake or biscuits- but that was only because I hated the taste and I also love burnt toast after I've scraped it and so far it hasn't done me any harm

I will continue to use the stuff I still have and of course hand washing which is always the best solution. The advantage of hand foams/gels is they can be used in situations where hand washing is impossible..

I know and I found it really good but as you say washing is so important too

Just got off Spirit and couldn't believe how many people didn't use the dispensers before entering the lido buffet from the pool area There was a crew man spraying you if you entered from inside the ship cos so many weren't using the dispensers

• 2 years later...

Boots still sell EcoHydra Alcohol Free Antibacterial Foam Hand Sanitiser

which covers norovirus

You have to look on the label of these products, as even Purell Hand sanitiser which Cunard use is slightly different to what can be sold . I Think the The ships use VF481.

https://www.boots.com/ecohydra-alcohol-free-antibacterial-foam-hand-sanitiser-100ml-10196456?cm_mmc=bmm-buk-google-ppc-_-PLAs-_-(GB:Whoop!)+Ecohydra-_-(GB:Whoop!)+Boots+Shopping+-+Category+-+Health+and+Pharmacy+-+Desktop&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1rC939Cd4wIVz53tCh3ElwzpEAQYASABEgLvc_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by Pennbank

• 3 weeks later...

Bought some today.  The 200ml size works out very much cheaper than the 50ml.  The smaller one is more convenient to carry around though - we use a small one and refill it from a large one.  Better value still if you get a second at half price.  They didn't mention that in store when I bought mine!  Still good value and worth taking extra precautions.

https://www.boots.com/search/Antiviral+foam