Gastric Bypass and Specialty Restaurants

GeekyGirlCruiser

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So... I am 6 years out from the sleeve. A normal meal for me is 3 oz protein, half cup veggies. However, on our cruises, I have never tried to "get a deal" in specialty dining. Normally, we do 1-2 specialty restaurants. Together, we carefully pick places we'd both really enjoy, and just bite the bullet and pay full price for me. I always tell the waiter I don't eat much, so they aren't surprised when I leave 3/4 of my food on the plate. It's still super fun to go, even if I'm not cleaning my plate :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

I look at it like this - I am paying for the meal, not the amount. So pre-op if I enjoyed a meal out (food, service, ambiance, etc) and felt that was worth x amount (say $20), then post-op I feel fine about spending the same for the same, even if I personally am not eating the whole plate that is given to me, I am still full, still enjoying the food, the space, the service, the experience. The amount of food it takes to get me full doesn't matter to me as much. I savor what I do eat.

• 2 weeks later...
So... I am 6 years out from the sleeve. A normal meal for me is 3 oz protein, half cup veggies. However, on our cruises, I have never tried to "get a deal" in specialty dining. Normally, we do 1-2 specialty restaurants. Together, we carefully pick places we'd both really enjoy, and just bite the bullet and pay full price for me. I always tell the waiter I don't eat much, so they aren't surprised when I leave 3/4 of my food on the plate. It's still super fun to go, even if I'm not cleaning my plate :)

I also had gastric sleeve 6 years ago and while I can eat more, I'm definitely still limited. I enjoy eating at the specialty restaurants because it allows me to eat protein that's really tasty and satisfying. If I order an app, I really just sample it and fortunately, by the time dessert comes around, I'm too full from my filet!

I've also told the waiter that I don't eat much because it can appear that you didn't enjoy the meal (which has not been the case). I suppose my limitations makes it "pricier" for me, but I really enjoy the experience in the specialty restaurants and find the food to be better. In addition, whoever I'm traveling with is able to fully enjoy it and that makes it worthwhile to me.

Mysparky- how many times on a 7 day cruise, do you apologize for not eating much? I think my number is around 12 :). Every night, any MDR breakfast, and once to the head waiter who freaks out when he sees I'm not cleaning my plate :)