South Africa: Robben Island

Cruzer Two

• 2 months later...
Click on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53249469&postcount=400 for information on viewing my video of Robben Island. Ron

Appreciate, Ron, this wonderful video/visual summary from your interesting visit to Robben Island. We were very, very lucky with the quality of both our guide on the bus for the overview of this location, plus with the skilled expert who took us inside for this historic site.

Hope you don't mind, but I am posting a few of my visuals from this key site near Cape Town. More on my live/blog connected below. This visit worked well to understand the history for this important part of South Africa's past.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 34,261 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

When arriving at Robben Island, you are greeted by these various wall graphics at the dock reflecting the history here at this location and during this period of the 1960’s through the prison closing in the early 1990’s.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

Africa2016PixsA39_zps8n8zdwwd.jpg

Here is the former prisoner who was the guide within the prison cell and ward areas who described living conditions there. His first-hand background and items shown were very insightful.:

Africa2016PixsA44_zpsi8oorlo7.jpg

Here is the cell where Nelson Mandela stayed and an example for how this range of individual cells looked down its hallway.:

Africa2016PixsA42_zpsdvm0isfh.jpg

Africa2016PixsA43_zpsoem2qerw.jpg

Here is our guide greeting and talking with each of the visitors as we exited and start down the steps that Mandela took in his “Long Walk to Freedom” from Robben Island.:

Africa2016PixsA45_zpsfqiembqf.jpg

Here is one of the views for some of the African Penguins on this island. We also saw some whales from this island while traveling around this area on the bus before entering the actual prison facilities.:

Africa2016PixsA40_zpstxrp86sq.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio