Vancouver diembarkation

maggie.1008

This will be our first SB cruise and I am a little nervous about catching our flight out of YVR. We disembark the Sojourn on Sept. 9th ( A Saturday ) Princess and HAL will also disembark that day. Our ship arrives at 7am. and our flight is at 11am. Normally this would be plenty of time but I am hearing horror stories about Vancouver disembarkation. I will wait to hear from other`s how this goes. Does SB have a way to beat the crowds ? Most of the problems have been with the cruise line bus service to the airport. Not sure if there will be plenty of taxi`s. Many thanks, Heather

If I were you I'd immediately try to change my flight. It is generally agreed one should never book a flight before noon and 1PM is even better. Vancouver prescreens for security before entering the U.S. so that takes additional time. Why not just avoid the stress and book a (much?) later flight?

Maggie, just to keep this in perspective...no one living in downtown Vancouver would leave for the airport 4 hours before their flight! Assuming the ship arrives on time and you can disembark relatively quickly ( before 7:30 or 8am) then leaving 1 hour to travel to YVR on a Sat am should get to there before 9am which is 2 hours before your flight.

Yes, pre-clearing US border immigration can take some time but 2 hours should be plenty. I have seen them pull people out of the line for immediately departing flights. If they don't do that just raise your hand and pull yourself out of the line. It's Canada...someone will help you out. Otherwise, sign up for Nexus to get pre-cleared and do fast track. That's what I do I and never wait a second to pre-clear US immigration.

Bottom line, I would not change your flight...just be smart about it and manage your time efficiently. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As the above poster points out, you likely have enough time. That is, if everything goes as planned.

However, I've sat on the airport transfer bus sometimes for upwards of an hour, just waiting.

I would arrange private transfer to the airport if I were you.

Hi Maggie, from reading the boards about departures from Vancouver the taxi wait in the lines and bus transfers can be affected by the amount of ships in port that day. The Port schedule for September 9th is quite busy with three ships in port that day. Niew Amsterdam has a maximum capacity of 1600pax but Star Princess has a max. capacity of 3300. See the link below for the port.......

http://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2017-Cruise-Schedule.pdf

One suggestion I have read is going across to the concierge of one of the nearby hotels and getting a taxi there. Or the private transfer option. I have booked Aeorocar for a short transfer downtown because I am on a time schedule and have good reviews for them.

http://aerocar.ca

Or maybe call and prebook a taxi a few days before you arrive. Apparently there is four main taxi cabs services in Vancouver. No Uber or Lyft though.

Julie

Hi Maggie, from reading the boards about departures from Vancouver the taxi wait in the lines and bus transfers can be affected by the amount of ships in port that day. The Port schedule for September 9th is quite busy with three ships in port that day. Niew Amsterdam has a maximum capacity of 1600pax but Star Princess has a max. capacity of 3300. See the link below for the port.......

http://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2017-Cruise-Schedule.pdf

One suggestion I have read is going across to the concierge of one of the nearby hotels and getting a taxi there. Or the private transfer option. I have booked Aeorocar for a short transfer downtown because I am on a time schedule and have good reviews for them.

http://aerocar.ca

Or maybe call and prebook a taxi a few days before you arrive. Apparently there is four main taxi cabs services in Vancouver. No Uber or Lyft though.

Julie

Hi Julie

Hope you're truly excited about your trip by now. I am and I've got longer to wait! I keep meaning to update you on what I've booked so far but not quite finished my plans yet! In the meantime can I ask what time you booked the aerocar for from the terminal to the hotel? I think we'll do the same. Also, how much did they charge and are you using them for the airport too?

Thanks

Eleanor

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with the other posters: pre-booking is the way to go.

Also, before you're onboard, Seabourn will request info about your post-disembarkation travel plans. This info will determine the disembarkation group to which you're assigned. You will be asked to confirm this info a few day before disembarkation. Be sure to provide this information.

Also, toward the end of the cruise, it's a good idea to speak with the personnel in Seabourn Square about your timing issues. They can confirm your disembarkation time, may be able give you updated info about port logistics, and ensure that you're included in the first-to-diembark group.

We're disembarking in Vancouver on August 15th (a Tuesday) and will be taking Shuttle Express to Bellingham Airport where we'll pick up our rental car. We can catch a shuttle at 9:00 a.m. or then not until 10:45 a.m. We've only disembarked in Vancouver once previously and it was many years ago and we picked up a rental car to drive to SeaTac (now cost prohibitive) so wonder if we'd be rushing it to get on the 9:00 shuttle or should we just book the 10:45? Thanks for any input.

This is my advice having disembarked in Vancouver in May of last year and actually having spent a few days there and embarking last August.

My advice is to pay more and have Seabourn get you a private transfer.

I say this because on the day you arrive you will be one of three ships. And it can be very crowded and confusing and hard to get a taxi right at the port with a long line. I would not rely on a private service other then Seabourn so you have someone waiting with you for the car and in touch with the vehicle. It really helps.

The actual drive to the airport is around 30 to 40 minutes.

Once at the airport you will do the following:

Check in for your flight.

Walk the luggage over to a nearby drop off point.

Go through Security.

Clear USA immigration (you do this at the kiosk) and then clear USA customs.

How long this takes varies.

Having a global entry card helps as it give you the same benefit as Nexis. Just something to consider.

Personally I would have booked a flight Noon or later but I understand your situation.

So if it was me I would get a private vehicle with Seabourn and let them hand hold me on this one.

Yes, as some know the option if you can manage this is if the lines are long for a taxi to pull your luggage and walk over to the Pan Pacific Hotel and get a taxi there. But again just keep things simple.

But no one can guarantee your experience. Why? Because every disembarkation is different and as we all know once you arrive to the airport each experience as to how long it takes to do all that I covered varies too and sometimes by a lot of time.

Keith

Hi Julie

Hope you're truly excited about your trip by now. I am and I've got longer to wait! I keep meaning to update you on what I've booked so far but not quite finished my plans yet! In the meantime can I ask what time you booked the aerocar for from the terminal to the hotel? I think we'll do the same. Also, how much did they charge and are you using them for the airport too?

Thanks

Eleanor

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Eleanor,

I booked the car for 8.30am as we have a 11.00am food truck tour booked. Not for the airport as we are catching the train to Seattle to see family. The cost is CAD$78.75 +gratuity. I know it is expensive for the distance and am still pondering changing it for a pre-booked taxi. Though it is good to know it is booked and we won't have to worry.

I am getting very excited as I am sure you and your family are. Only 2.5 weeks before we leave home.

Julie

Sounds like booking with SB is the way to go. Thanks for all the helpful info. We were so spoiled as the last time we flew out of YVR we were on a private plane and did not go to the main airport. ( our friends have net jet ) Wow , what a difference that made. No lines, just walk on board. Oh well, back to reality on this trip. ;p

Hi Keith, have a great crystal cruise, Heather