How do you print your boarding passes for the flight home after the cruise?

mamasylvia

Princess offers 15 minutes of internet for $8 on the second last day of the cruise. I buy that, goto the Internet cafe and print my receipts. I don't want internet at sea, I'm trying to escape the world when I am on a cruise :)

Absolutely....on the last cruise I was assisting someone with a cisco router issue....laying there in bed walking the guy through the settings. What was I thinking?

Great thread. I never even thought about this, and with the requirement to check in 24 hrs prior to departure, it got me realizing that I'll download AA's app on the phone just so I can check us in the night before.I didn't think printing out boarding passes were the resp. of the traveler....we've always just checked in at the gate and had it done at the kiosk.

There is no requirement to check in 24 Hour before. You are free to check in any time between 24 hour and cut-off time. The cut-off time varies from airline to airline but it usually something like 30 min to 2 hours depending on departure city and airline.

and with the requirement to check in 24 hrs prior to departure,

I didn't think printing out boarding passes were the resp. of the traveler....we've always just checked in at the gate and had it done at the kiosk.

1. You don't have to check in 24 hours prior. You only need to check in prior to the cut off time, which as someone said, might be up to 1/2 before flight time.

2. It is NOT your responsibility to print BP's. You can continue to use an airport counter rep or airport kiosk to do so if you prefer.

It's just that some people like to check in and/or get BP's early. Might have to do with seating priority such as with Southwest, might be to have one less thing to do the morning of travel, or various other reasons.

2. It is NOT your responsibility to print BP's. You can continue to use an airport counter rep or airport kiosk to do so if you prefer.

While this might be true here in the USA, folks should know this is NOT universal.

Just look at Ryanair and what they will charge to print your boarding pass (and it's not a trifling amount).

Plus, there are some airports where you need to show a boarding pass or confirmation just to get into the building.

I would not try to have both BP's on one smart phone. While that might work fine and dandy at the boarding gate, it might present a real headache while trying to navigate through the TSA security line. I have seen some strange things at different airports, things such as separating parties and things such as asking for your BP 3 different times at FLL before actually getting to the boarding gate.

IMO, print DH's BP at the gate rather than try to have two BP's on one phone. YMMV

While this might be true here in the USA, folks should know this is NOT universal.

Just look at Ryanair and what they will charge to print your boarding pass (and it's not a trifling amount).

Plus, there are some airports where you need to show a boarding pass or confirmation just to get into the building.

Spirit airlines in the US charges for a BP printed at the airport

Boarding pass printed at home Free

Boarding pass printed by Airport Kiosk $2 per boarding pass printed

Boarding pass printed at Airport Agent $10 per boarding pass printed

Spirit airlines in the US charges for a BP printed at the airport

Boarding pass printed at home Free

Boarding pass printed by Airport Kiosk $2 per boarding pass printed

Boarding pass printed at Airport Agent $10 per boarding pass printed

One more reason why friends don't let friends fly Spirit.

Good point. I should have clarified that while it isn't necessarily the passenger's responsibility to print a BP, doing so can save money if one if flying on a budget carrier like Spirit or Ryan Air.

I haven't yet encountered an airport where a BP is required to enter the airport, so I doubt an infrequent flyer would find themselves at such a restrictive airport. Still good to know this is a possibility though!

I haven't yet encountered an airport where a BP is required to enter the airport, so I doubt an infrequent flyer would find themselves at such a restrictive airport. Still good to know this is a possibility though!

Not solely a BP, but some "proof" of travel. Confirmation, ticket and the like.

In our case, leaving the ship in Barcelona in the morning for a 2pm flight back to the states. How would you handle getting the BP's printed? I'm concerned about not getting into the airport without the BP's. I'm guessing you'd just have them printed on the ship before leaving the night before?

In our case, leaving the ship in Barcelona in the morning for a 2pm flight back to the states. How would you handle getting the BP's printed? I'm concerned about not getting into the airport without the BP's. I'm guessing you'd just have them printed on the ship before leaving the night before?

In your case you have no need to panic. BCN does not require a boarding pass to enter the airport.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

You don't need a BP to get into BCN. If you want to have it beforehand anyway, use the mobile app for your airline, or print on your ships printer the day before as you mentioned. You should be able to check in and print 24 hours prior to flight.

I understand that, but unless I had poor seats (or no seats), I would not pay exorbitant cruise ship internet prices just so I could check in a day early.

My thoughts exactly. On my cruise earlier this month, Princess touted a great deal of 15 minutes of internet the last day of the cruise for "only" $8.99, suggesting using that time to check in and print boarding passes. Thank you very much, but I will wait until I get off the ship to check in using my phone and my phone's internet.

I haven't heard of any airports that require a boarding pass to get into the terminal building. The (relatively few) airports that require some printed documentary evidence of travel tend to be in non-Western countries where some airlines are simply not able to issue boarding passes except at the check-in desk. So a printed itinerary is usually fine to satisfy any requirement of this kind.

For Barcelona, as others have said this simply doesn't apply. In all the times I've flown from there, I've never checked-in in advance, let alone had a boarding pass. So I would simply go to the airport and check-in there. If I needed to check-in early to get seats, I'd do that but not print a boarding pass. For your trip, almost certainly it simply isn't necessary to have a boarding pass in hand in advance.

• 2 months later...
Absolutely....on the last cruise I was assisting someone with a cisco router issue....laying there in bed walking the guy through the settings. What was I thinking?

Oh, come on. Anyone with cisco knowledge knows how to fix a router - turn off, wait 30 seconds, turn back on. ;) (from a former cisco employee - back in the days when there were less than 1000 employees and I worked on Appletalk implementation for the routers. I still have a 2500 sitting in my garage - it was my telecommuting tool for years.)

I always check in online. But, I don't fret printing the boarding pass. That can be done anytime, anywhere. I could always dash to a kiosk and do it before heading to the gates. I just got my first smartphone 11 months ago. I've already used it for my passes - the wallet feature is pretty handy!

In our experience, US airlines won't let you check in remotely for international trips (er, trips with passport control required) - they want to see you & your passport in person before letting you check in. So don't worry about it until you get to the airport :) Or, if you try to check in remotely for an international flight and you get an error message, *do not panic*, it's likely the system and not an issue with your reservation.

Domestically, yes I am in the check-in-as-early-as-can camp to optimize priority for any changes that I might have to deal with...

We simply print out the boarding passes when we get to the airport (nearly all airlines use the free-standing kiosk machines in the airports). If we are booked on Southwest (our favorite airline) we will pay the extra $15 per person to get an "Early Bird" number for our flight after a cruise. This guarantees an "A" boarding number....and we simply print out the actual document when we get to the airport.

Hank

This guarantees an "A" boarding number

Except that it doesn't.

Greatly increases your chance of getting one, but not a guarantee.

If you can provide any documentation from Southwest to the contrary, please post it.

• 3 weeks later...
Except that it doesn't.

Greatly increases your chance of getting one, but not a guarantee.

If you can provide any documentation from Southwest to the contrary, please post it.

Not documentation from Southwest, but personal experience. Last time I paid for EB, I got B boarding group for both legs of the flight. So no, definitely not a guarantee.

In our experience, US airlines won't let you check in remotely for international trips (er, trips with passport control required) - they want to see you & your passport in person before letting you check in. So don't worry about it until you get to the airport :) Or, if you try to check in remotely for an international flight and you get an error message, *do not panic*, it's likely the system and not an issue with your reservation.

Domestically, yes I am in the check-in-as-early-as-can camp to optimize priority for any changes that I might have to deal with...

I've usually been able to check in online both for departures and arrivals from/to the US on US carriers (and most foreign ones, LATAM being an exception). The one time I got an error from AA, the check in agent said that I owed an additional $200 for changing my flight, which I hadn't. That was sorted fairly quickly, but I did indeed panic when I couldn't check in from home (and the AA phone rep had no idea why not).