Flights from St. Petersburg, Russia

galelynn

Has anyone flown out of St. Petersburg, Russia, after a cruise? Did you use air from the cruise line or book air on your own? Also do you need a visa to get to the airport from the cruise ship? Thanks

I am unaware of there being any cruiselines that start/end cruises in St. Petersburg. The visa requirements in Russia are difficult and I would think that would be a major impediment.

OTOH, there may be some cruiseline that does this. Can you give some more info on what line? Also, what does their air department have to say?

I do not have first hand experience However, my thoughts, based upon the experiences of flyers connecting in Moscow and visa situations with flights.

Unless Princess has made some special arrangements for a "sterile" transfer from the ship to the airport (and by extension, through outbound Russian immigration procedures), I can't see how they could allow you to just leave the ship and make your way to the airport. How would Russian officials know that you are actually going to the airport AND leaving the country, rather than skipping out. Russia is quite serious about border control.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Princess is just going to say "all visas are the responsibility of the passenger". I know that cruiselines do this for cruises that start/end in China and see no reason why this would be any different.

And, as I mentioned in the first response....what does Princess have to say? They would know if they have special arrangements.

River cruises also terminate in St. Petersburg.

I have flown into St. Petersburg but not out of the city.

You should investigate a Princess transfer and flight to determine if it includes a visa waiver akin to an excursion waiver. If it is included and the price is within $200 - $300 of self booked flights you should seriously consider that option. The Russian Federation Visa would be costly for a simple move from ship to airport. It's also a pain to fill out especially for anyone with a military or diplomatic background.

Whatever you do pad any connection time especially in Frankfurt, Paris, or Amsterdam. The possibility of a distant bus gate in any of those airports and just the size and connection hassles at those three airports always has me over compensating. I have been in all three airports in the past 9 months and was glad I planned cautiously.

I am neither a fan of Princess or any cruise air program but there are just times when a reasonable cruise air ticket takes hassle out of travel and a St. Petersburg transit isa waiver would be one of those cases.

I would also encourage you to spend as much time in St. Petersburg as possible.