Sojourn forward cabins lot of motion?

cruzaround

Hi all. I am new to Seabourn, and have not sailed on a "small" size ship as this before. We will be on Aug 26 Alaska sailing. Probably booking GTY veranda , so expect a forward cabin.

Anyone experience motion issues there?

Thank you for the info and help.

We were on the Sojourn very far forward on deck 8 for a 33 day trip. Wasn't an issue for us but motion does not bother either of us. I don't recall the trip being particularly rough.

We were on deck 6 middle on Quest to Antarctica on a GTY, so you might get lucky. That cruise was fairly flat too.

Edited by wire

Unfortunately, we did not have a great experience with a forward cabin. I can't remember what the cabin number was but it was right next to one of the larger suites with a wrap around verandah. It was fine on the first night but on the second night, the bed vibrated so badly that sleeping was impossible. I actually went to the ship's doctor to get a sleeping pill, but got a $100 bill at the end of the cruise for the visit. It was pretty terrible! What we discovered was, that the problem was related to sailing at night to make up time. When the captain announced what the sailing plans were for the evening, if he said that he was sailing over a certain number of knots, the vibration would occur. If he kept it under that number it was fine. When sailing during the day, at a slower speed, we felt nothing. So beware of front cabins. The doctor, when I visited asked me why I would book a cabin in front, knowing that that is where you are more likely to have issues. Like you, I was assigned this cabin under a guaranteed upgrade, so had no choice, but I will never book a cabin in front, again. Because Seabourn is so wonderful, the trip was wonderful, but the vibrations that we suffered through for a few days was not fun!

For us, the whole point of cruising is living on a ship - including the creaks, sounds, movement and "vibration" (never really understood what that means). If these things are likely to ruin your trip then maybe a hotel ashore is a safer option?

I, too, am fine with movements on a ship and never get sea sick. The vibration that I was referring to was like (if anyone can identify with this) one of the vibrating beds that used to be in cheap motels where you put a quarter in. Don't ask--but in college, those were the ones we could afford when traveling. I could not have been the only passenger that stayed in this suite that didn't experience this problem. Again, it was fortunate that our itinerary had ports relatively close together, so all nights were not spent with this vibration and it has not deterred me from sailing with Seabourn in the future. I just will not book a cabin as close to the front of the ship as I did that time.

Unfortunately, we did not have a great experience with a forward cabin. I can't remember what the cabin number was but it was right next to one of the larger suites with a wrap around verandah. It was fine on the first night but on the second night, the bed vibrated so badly that sleeping was impossible. I actually went to the ship's doctor to get a sleeping pill, but got a $100 bill at the end of the cruise for the visit. It was pretty terrible! What we discovered was, that the problem was related to sailing at night to make up time. When the captain announced what the sailing plans were for the evening, if he said that he was sailing over a certain number of knots, the vibration would occur. If he kept it under that number it was fine. When sailing during the day, at a slower speed, we felt nothing. So beware of front cabins. The doctor, when I visited asked me why I would book a cabin in front, knowing that that is where you are more likely to have issues. Like you, I was assigned this cabin under a guaranteed upgrade, so had no choice, but I will never book a cabin in front, again. Because Seabourn is so wonderful, the trip was wonderful, but the vibrations that we suffered through for a few days was not fun!

On which deck were you?

Hi Cruzaround...we are on the same sailing and are fairly forward on Deck 8. We don't anticipate any problems but have never been this far forward. My husband has had a few motion sickness issues so we will take meds but he hasn't had to use them lately. Check out our roll call for this cruise. We've got a nice group going!

Maybe you had a honeymoon couple next door:evilsmile::evilsmile::evilsmile:. Chairsin can tell you some stories about that!:'):'):')

My wife and I were in 805 on a 21 day Sojourn Kobe to Seattle last month and experienced the high rate of speed at night as described. IMO the result was not really a vibration but rather a quick rocking of the bed from side to side at times. Insomuch as it did occur only a few nights and not every night we were able to enjoy the cabin location. Also we were a considerable way out to sea and once we made it to Alaska I do not remember it happening at all. If someone is a light sleeper or highly susceptible to sea sickness it might be a problem but was not for us. As a side note neither of our Fitbits registered any sleep on the nights in question. Albeit they were both set to "sensitive" for those of you that have them.