Digital camera and video editing packages

Hi,

I used to use Picasa for editing my pictures but my hard drive blew last week so now have a new laptop. I have now found out Picasa cannot be downloaded so can anyone tell me about any other packages that are quite good an easy to use.

I also need some help about video editing I was using movie maker which I found quite good, same as before I just want something quite easy.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

I use Lightroom and enjoy it greatly.

More so since I found their dedicated You Tube channel that has quick, 1 minute tutorials on a lot of the more useful features.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AdobeLightroom/videos

For $10/mo I get it and Photoshop - that I'm still very novice at using, but it's made me very happy with what I can do with them.

My wife just uses the Photo program that Windows 10 comes with and likes it as well.

I am a longtime Picasa user that has converted to Lightroom. The Photographer's Bundle shootr mentioned from Adobe is a real deal at $10/month. The problem is that per your request, you also need video editing. In that case, I would suggest that you look at Adobe's Photoshop Elements/Premier Elements bundle. You can get it for about $90 from Amazon. It also includes Bridge which is Adobe's lightweight organization application. If you are interested in Lightroom, which allows for a wide range of editing and other features without the need to open an external program (with the bundled Photoshop on call if you do need it), but still need video editing. Premiere Elements is available by itself for $49.

Dave

I use Picasa but only for cataloging type purposes and for making albums to upload to google+. I do all my photo editing in Lightroom. You can actually still find the Picasa install file online - I had to re-download it a couple weeks ago when mine "died" - not sure if its appropriate to share the download link though.

In that case, I would suggest that you look at Adobe's Photoshop Elements/Premier Elements bundle.

Dave

Dave recommended it to me and I find the editing OK and more importantly, that the program can correct my underexposed video.

I am still having problems converting my "finished" product to a TV-usable DVD but I am getting there (I think).

The program also has a "help-you-along" section though I think I will get a full-blown tutorial program.

DO NOT GET the Adobe Premiere Elements book as it is strictly for version 6 and only for a PC. The Premiere Elements version you are getting is a version 15.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can't speak to the video editing whatsoever, but another vote for Lightroom. I've been using it for nearly a decade. I find the five-star rating system to be a lot more powerful than Picasa's one-star system, and that allows me to cut through a ton of cruise pictures in short order (typical Alaska cruise with two of us shooting like mad and creating >10k images, and I can get it down to 250-350 in about 10 hours with proper preparations). We had about 6k images from our recent Mexican Riviera cruise, and I had it down to the final set in 3.5 days by just working on it during my daily commute on the bus (30-40 minutes of functional time each way).