Fish Extenders??

dreamzcometrue

I am a little confused on the fish extenders, are you in a specific group or do you do your whole floor? What for example do you pass out??

I'm new to this. Thank you in advance. :cool:

Fish Extenders are usually organized on your Roll Call here on Cruise Critic. Some other social media sites may have Fish Extender groups/cruise meet groups.

If people on a Roll Call want to do FEs, someone will maintain the list of who's participating. Many FE groups limit themselves to 10-15 rooms max before closing the list. You are obligated to deliver at least one gift to each room on the list.

You'd be surprised at what people have gifted. Anything from candy, to local (hometown) postcards, small toys, all the way to some really fancy (costly, IMO) water bottles, decorated memory books. Whatever you want to do is fine.

You have to sign up for a FE list. Just hanging a Fish Extender holder outside your door doesn't guarantee gifts, unless you are in a group.

The "rules" for the group are whatever the group or the organizer sets them to be. There will need to be a determination as to whether you are giving one gift per cabin or one per person, how many cabins or people will be permitted to join the FE group, whether there is a maximum cost per gift, the time frame during which the gifts need to be delivered, are gifts geared toward children or "family," etc.

My personal preferences--about 20-25 cabins is ideal. More than that becomes overwhelming in terms of cost, time involved in making the deliveries, etc. If there are 30 cabins interested, 2 groups of 15 (with room to add more members if desired) is better than one group of 30. I've seen groups as small as 10 and as large as 100 cabins. I don't like people telling me what day to deliver my gifts. Yes, it is nice to get stuff every day, but that takes care of itself. I do like a cut off (like 10am on the last full day of the cruise) as you need to pack, etc. Obviously if you are giving something to each person, that's a smaller gift than "per cabin/family." As Shmoo said, anything goes--wrapped candy or local treats, pirate themed stuff, princess themed stuff, etc. Once I hit the Disney outlet store and got some autograph books at a good price....sure, some people will have them but a lot of people forget! Some people give junk, others really nice stuff.

SO, basically you join a group of people who will be on your cruise, and if there isn't already a FE group, you ask whether others are interested. If there is a group, find out whether it is open and whether you can join. At some point, they will close the group (generally a month or so before cruising) as people do have to have numbers for their gifts! You'll also need a brief meeting, usually on embarkation day, to make note of any changes in cabin assignments.