Airport Transfer

We are looking at Ovation of the Seas arriving in Sydney at 0630 hrs. If our flight to Los Angeles leaves at 1030 hrs is this enough time to get to the airport and thru security if we ask for early embarkation? Not familiar with time it takes to travel from cruise terminal to Sydney airport. Is cab the best option or ship transfer? Any helpful advice will be appreciated for our first time visit....:):)

We are looking at Ovation of the Seas arriving in Sydney at 0630 hrs. If our flight to Los Angeles leaves at 1030 hrs is this enough time to get to the airport and thru security if we ask for early embarkation? Not familiar with time it takes to travel from cruise terminal to Sydney airport. Is cab the best option or ship transfer? Any helpful advice will be appreciated for our first time visit....:):)

How long before your flight do you need to be at the airport to check in?

Most international flights want you there three hours prior, so 7:30.

See the problem?

That is very tight, normally with a 6.30am arrival, you wouldn't even be getting off the ship until 7am or later, which doesn't leave much time as there will be lots (1000's) of people also trying to be first off. If there are nay delays in docking, that will blow out the time.

I would be looking at a 1.30pm flight or later.

A ship's transfer would be best especially due to luggage and guaranteed to get off to meet your flight (to their timings). Otherwise a train from Circular Quay (200 metres from the dock) to International Airport is good, takes around 15 minutes and costs $18.60 AUD per person (CC can be used in the machines), the only issue would be dragging your bags around.

It would not be possible to be at the airport in time for a 10.30 international flight. Even catching a domestic flight that does not need such an early check-in would be very difficult. I agree with Mic that a 1.30 flight would be the earliest international flight that would be doable. I know that Princess Cruises states that even domestic flights should be booked for after midday.

Consider the timing. With a 6.30 arrival, the first people to disembark will do so after 7am (after clearance by local authorities). There will be thousands wanting to disembark. Even with self disembarkation, it will take time. It is impossible to say how long, but you would have to allow more than half an hour to disembark, and get through Immigration and Customs. It could take an hour I feel the easiest way to get to the airport is by taxi, but at the time you will arrive (unless it is a weekend) it will be peak hour in Sydney. Travel to the airport takes around half an hour at least. With most international flights you need to check in at least two hours ahead and Sydney airport is always busy and sometimes rather chaotic. By adding up the times I have estimated, in theory, you could do it, but it is extremely unlikely that all parts of the plan would run according to time.

I suggest that being able to make it to the airport in time for a 10.30 international flight is as unlikely as winning the lottery.:)

A ship's transfer would be best especially due to luggage and guaranteed to get off to meet your flight (to their timings). Otherwise a train from Circular Quay (200 metres from the dock) to International Airport is good, takes around 15 minutes and costs $18.60 AUD per person (CC can be used in the machines), the only issue would be dragging your bags around.

we've had a few ships transfers and they can make you wait until the bus is full so that would be my last choice, catching the train or taxi is a better option

we've had a few ships transfers and they can make you wait until the bus is full so that would be my last choice, catching the train or taxi is a better option

With the later flight times (after 1.30pm), it wouldn't be an issue.

With the later flight times (after 1.30pm), it wouldn't be an issue.

If they were to keep an earlier flight time, it's quite likely that wouldn't be an option anyway. Normally the cruise line prevents booking their shuttles if your departure is in the morning.

I agree that going by taxi would be the fastest.

On a recent cruise we already had shuttle bus transfers to the airport, but there delays in disembarking. We had booked a domestic flight for just after 12 midday. I didn't want a later flight because we had major reasons to get home quickly. Anyway, there were delays in disembarkation and by the time we got off the ship it looked like we might miss our flight. Simple solution - we ignored the fact that we already had a shuttle bus organised and we decided to catch a taxi. In the past we have had to wait for a bus, then wait for ages until it fills up, with people putting their luggage in the luggage compartment etc, before departing. I approached the 'man in the fluoro vest' who was directing busses and taxis and asked him nicely what the quickest way to catch a taxi was. I then saw taxis a couple of hundred metres away. He just said "Wait here" and a minute or two he had a taxi there for us. We told the driver we were running late and that he should go via the tunnels. We got to the airport with a bit of time to spare. I was glad - otherwise I would never have heard the end of it. ;)

For two people a taxi is a bit more expensive than travelling by train, but we feel it is worth it for the convenience of travel door-to-door. If there are four or more people travelling (maybe in a maxi taxi), a taxi would be cheaper per person. If you are not in a hurry, Princess passengers can go by shuttle for $19 pp. Cheap and convenient :)

For two people a taxi is a bit more expensive than travelling by train, but we feel it is worth it for the convenience of travel door-to-door. If there are four or more people travelling (maybe in a maxi taxi), a taxi would be cheaper per person. If you are not in a hurry, Princess passengers can go by shuttle for $19 pp. Cheap and convenient :)

We also found it quite a trek to the Station from the airport, and there were very large queues at the ticket machines. Next time we will take your advice.

The train would likely be more expensive if there are more than two people.:D

True! We were flabbergasted by the cost. Folk on the train said it cheaper to travel from the stops before the Airport because there was a surcharge in airport travel.

True! We were flabbergasted by the cost. Folk on the train said it cheaper to travel from the stops before the Airport because there was a surcharge in airport travel.

if you catch the train and have luggage your better off paying the extra and getting the train to the airport

you can get off at Mascot station and get the 400 bus which will take you to the airport but with luggage its not worth the hassle to save $10

The train would likely be more expensive if there are more than two people.:D

I think three is the point where I switch to taxi.

Train about $17 each

Taxi about $50

I park at the airport if we are on longer cruises used to get a taxi, now I drop my fellow passengers and luggage wherever we are staying, out to the airport train back in.

True, the $15 per person airport surcharge is what makes it expensive, but getting off at Mascot and then a cab erodes any savings.