Seabourn excursions question

queenie_texas

I know there is no definitive answer to this question, so I'm basically looking for past experiences on Seabourn. We are booked on the Alaska two week cruise leaving July 7th. This is our first cruise ever and we are complete cruise pilgrims. To make matters more complicated, we booked this cruise on a whim a week or so ago though I have been looking at Seabourn for the past year and biding my time for the right moment. (Daughter playing college vball and son getting married) My husband is ready for a total break from work and thinks he will be fine if he just sits on deck with binoculars and watches the world go by. We are definitely going to book a couple of shore excursions in advance, but I'm wondering if shore excursions are generally still available once we board...or even from day to day. Clearly we are a couple who do things on a whim! There are so many wonderful options listed and I am in overload just looking through them all. How much can we truly see from the deck of the ship?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Queenie

We may, but not always, book a tour for the first day in port - often the first day of the cruise is a sea day.

We will go to the talk about the tours offered then make a decision on which ones we want to do. In 200 days, I don't think we have missed a tour that we wanted to do. Some have been waitlisted but we have always got on.

However, I believe some of the most popular excursion (float plane excursions and Anan Creek Bear viewing are sold out or almost sold out). So I guess the unhelpful answer to can you book on the ship is "maybe" and it depends on the excursion. On any regular Seabourn cruise it would be hard to answer this question and this being a new itinerary even harder to answer.

As to how much you can see from deck, since the Seabourn vessels are much smaller than most of the vessels that cruise these waters you will likely get a bit closer but even this ship likely cannot get into little inlets and very narrow Fjords. But I will say that I was surprised on our recent Antarctica cruise how much I saw from our balcony and the decks (particularly the Obs Bar deck and in behind Seabourn Square where they will have some of the Ventures team naturalists placed during the day to assist passenger viewing). And the day we saw whales bubble net feeding while those in the zodiacs actually had the best view of the whales themselves from the deck of the ship we got a better view of the circle of bubbles as it formed. And usually Seabourn has a closing day for shore excursions a couple days in advance so you can't depend on being able to book at the last minute.

Galeforce and Zelker,

Quite agree that adding refreshments does not justify them not reducing the price.

I thought I would call Seabourn today and see if they are able to confirm that all of the alternate tours ("fake zodiac rides") will be using Allen Marine's larger catamarans.

Guess I will just have to go back in a couple of years when they have this sorted out. Nonetheless I am getting quite excited about this trip --not long to go.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This will be my 6th cruise to Alaska. First on Seabourn. I also worked in Alaska for many years. We do the research and book our own tours. If you want to go on a helicopter, plane or Zodiac you will want to book well in advance. Anything else you can do at the last minute or when you are in port. Most will have venders as you get off the ship. The weather in South East Alaska can be miserable even in summer months. Waiting to the last minute you have the advantage of knowing what the weather will be. Many of the advance excursions are canceled due to weather or fog. Being a California girl I have no desire to sit out in the cold, wind and rain. I hope we will be lucky and have sunny skies ! Makes all the difference.:cool: Heather

Just off the phone from speaking with a very nice Seabourn Excursion Desk agent but I am frustrated by a total lack of additional information. She had no idea of they are using the same sized catamarans for each tour and was unable to even say how many slots are available for booking for each tour. I'll now wait until on board and query the Destination Manager.

Just off the phone from speaking with a very nice Seabourn Excursion Desk agent but I am frustrated by a total lack of additional information. She had no idea of they are using the same sized catamarans for each tour and was unable to even say how many slots are available for booking for each tour. I'll now wait until on board and query the Destination Manager.

Thanks Chairsin. I've booked one so far but will await more reports from people like you before I commit further.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

However, I believe some of the most popular excursion (float plane excursions and Anan Creek Bear viewing are sold out or almost sold out). So I guess the unhelpful answer to can you book on the ship is "maybe" and it depends on the excursion. On any regular Seabourn cruise it would be hard to answer this question and this being a new itinerary even harder to answer.

As to how much you can see from deck, since the Seabourn vessels are much smaller than most of the vessels that cruise these waters you will likely get a bit closer but even this ship likely cannot get into little inlets and very narrow Fjords. But I will say that I was surprised on our recent Antarctica cruise how much I saw from our balcony and the decks (particularly the Obs Bar deck and in behind Seabourn Square where they will have some of the Ventures team naturalists placed during the day to assist passenger viewing). And the day we saw whales bubble net feeding while those in the zodiacs actually had the best view of the whales themselves from the deck of the ship we got a better view of the circle of bubbles as it formed. And usually Seabourn has a closing day for shore excursions a couple days in advance so you can't depend on being able to book at the last minute.

Galeforce and Zelker,

Quite agree that adding refreshments does not justify them not reducing the price.

I thought I would call Seabourn today and see if they are able to confirm that all of the alternate tours ("fake zodiac rides") will be using Allen Marine's larger catamarans.

Guess I will just have to go back in a couple of years when they have this sorted out. Nonetheless I am getting quite excited about this trip --not long to go.

Thanks, Chairsin. Every little bit of information (and opinions) we get is so helpful. I'm so excited for the trip and know it will be fabulous no matter what we end up doing. Heck, we may just have to take notes and book again for next summer. ;p

Queenie

This will be my 6th cruise to Alaska. First on Seabourn. I also worked in Alaska for many years. We do the research and book our own tours. If you want to go on a helicopter, plane or Zodiac you will want to book well in advance. Anything else you can do at the last minute or when you are in port. Most will have venders as you get off the ship. The weather in South East Alaska can be miserable even in summer months. Waiting to the last minute you have the advantage of knowing what the weather will be. Many of the advance excursions are canceled due to weather or fog. Being a California girl I have no desire to sit out in the cold, wind and rain. I hope we will be lucky and have sunny skies ! Makes all the difference.:cool: Heather

Maggie, thanks for you input! You have helped put my mind at ease. Thanks so much.

Queenie