Maintenance & condition of older ships in the SS fleet

candylover

Our first 'luxury' cruise was on the Silver Spirit in 2010 (when she was very new). We absolutely loved this cruise but for various reasons, mainly itinerary choices, we have since sailed on Seabourn only. We are planning our next cruise in 2019 and would like to seriously consider the SS options as many of the itineraries appeal to us, however many are on the older ships.

I just noticed a very recent review on CC from someone who sailed on the Silver Cloud. Included in the review were a couple of photo's, which to me appear to show a ship that is poorly maintained and looking rather shabby and grubby. But as I said it was only a couple of photo's. So my question to regular SS cruisers and particularly those who sail on the older vessels how would you rate the overall maintenance etc of the ships. Are some much better maintained than others? Do you feel the photo's chosen are a fair representation of the condition of this ship and the other older SS vessels. On SS website it says that the Cloud was refurbished in 2015, so I wonder what does a 'refurb' actually mean. I would really appreciate comments from the regulars so we can decide whether we include the older ships in the mix for future cruises.

We cruised on the Wind in January 2017. She had a refurb a few months earlier and was in beautiful condition. The work included replacing the teak decking on the pool deck as well as soft furnishings in all suites and corridors.

Silver Cloud is going in for her works to make her suited for Antarctica in the Autumn and will be given a similar treatment I believe. Silver Whisper was refurbished before the World Cruise 2016.

As for overall maintenance, carpets are often cleaned, paint and wood are painted.

I would not hesitate (we have three cruises booked over the next 18 months, so are converts).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Candylover, we sailed on the Wind last November shortly after it's smart refub (we loved it so much we are sailing on the Wind next month for Norway). The Silversea media centre link (bottom of the

Silversea home page) has a link to press releases, pls see this link for a rendering of what the Cloud refurb will look like:

http://www.silversea.com/media/press-releases/silversea-reveals-silver-cloud-design-in-new-renderings/

After discussing the details of the Cloud refurb with Mark Conroy, Managing Director for the Americas earlier this year, Mark told me,

"The Cloud will be gutted and completely refitted/furnished from top to bottom." 57 Varieties, after sailing on the Cloud a couple of times (Iceland, and Easterly crossing the last few years) we decided to not sail the Cloud again (some spaces were just too tired (i.e.gym)).

However, when we looked at the Cloud's refurb plans (and considering Mark Conroy's redesign comments) we soon booked the "Cloud Expedition" next February for Antarctica.

Hope this helps.

57 Varieties and Wes W thank you so much for your very informative responses. The renderings for the Cloud look absolutely fantastic. It is good to know that the other older vessels appear to be maintained to a very high standard. For us choosing a future cruise is much easier if we can consider all the SS fleet and not just the newer vessels.

However on further reading on CC of the Cloud reviews, recent and also not so recent, I have to wonder if this ship should have been removed from service some time ago. I certainly would not have been at all happy if I had to put up with the things mentioned in many of the reviews. If I had checked into a hotel on land with a shower head like the one in the recent photograph I would have immediately checked out - not so easy once you board a ship though. But again really good to hear that this neglect appears confined to just one ship.

We cruised on the Wind in January 2017. She had a refurb a few months earlier and was in beautiful condition. The work included replacing the teak decking on the pool deck as well as soft furnishings in all suites and corridors.

Silver Cloud is going in for her works to make her suited for Antarctica in the Autumn and will be given a similar treatment I believe. Silver Whisper was refurbished before the World Cruise 2016.

As for overall maintenance, carpets are often cleaned, paint and wood are painted.

I would not hesitate (we have three cruises booked over the next 18 months, so are converts).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Silver Whisper was not refurbished in 2016 it had some minor updates, new carpets in the suites but nothing else visible to guests, I believe they have plans so its a matter of watch this space at the moment. If you like SS and new products then I can highly recommend the Silver Muse, lovely suites and public areas.

I sailed on The Whisper in October 2016, the Cloud over the '16-'17th Holidays, and The Wind on a Transatlantic in March. All three ships were in fine shape. I'm not a fan of glitz, and I love the understated decor of the older SS ships. What's important to me is the fabulous service, and the well traveled, interesting fellow passengers. The dining is very good. The complimentary wines have been wonderful..especially recently.

I'll be sailing on the Muse at the end of September...review to follow. And then back on The Shadow at Christmas. Obviously, I am a Silversea fan, and my opinions are highly personal. There are a lot of choices available, and aren't we lucky to be able to explore these choices? Hope you have a wonderful cruise on whichever ship you decide to sail.

Hi cruisinPasmina

How was the wind on the transatlantic voyage in regards to rocking /motion? That is my only real concern with this small ship. We are Oceania regulars and used to smaller mid size lines, but clearly nothing as small as the wind.

Curious also about the grill during the cooler evenings in Northern waters . We are traveling next summer to Iceland. Is it uncomfortably cool or do they have heaters?

What updates were made to the rooms? TV/ media options ? What I had read about the refurbishment in November 2016 , it was not clear about the room upgrades.

Thanks for any responses

Dear bobolz,

1. It was a rough ride. We were out running a big storm, and The little Wind did very well. As I remember the Spirit was two days behind us and passengers reported heavy weather as well. No one in my small group missed a meal, but because of a lot of rain, we didn't spend much time on deck. We did manage to dine 2x at The Grill. We bundled up and both times had a lot of fun. I've been almost up to the North Cape in summertime and we had heaters on The Whisper..you should be fine near/around Iceland in high summer..the grilling stones are super hot and that also warms you up...lots of wine helps too!

Ironically, the worst crossing I ever had was on the big QE Il...I was sick as a dog. Still feel queasy remembering!

2. There were very few changes in the Wind's decor. Everything was refreshed and very clean. Think both luxe and cozy. I love The Wind. (as do so many of us "experienced" SS sailors.)

3. The TV reception was pretty much non existent on this crossing. Some days there would be zip reception...a first for me on SS. Usually reception is fine with a several news channel choices. The ship runs 3 movies everyday on a fixed schedule. I suppose I could have played a movie from the extensive library, but I didn't bother. On this particular sailing, the two lecturers were outstanding. Four of us were traveling together and amused each other..and all of us read a lot. We had 60minutes a day of "free" wifi, and that was fine for me. The evening entertainment was very good on this trip. Good singers, fresh costumes, and well produced....but don't expect too much, this is an area which can be fun, but it is not a SS strong suit.

I'm certain there are others who could answer other specific questions. I have concentrated on the Wind as she was my most recent vessel. Definitely thumbs up from me.

Thanks cruisinpashmina for the quick and detailed response.

Glad to hear the Wind held up well outracing the storm. Wondering if the motion is even obvious in calmer or non stormy seas?

I see you only mentioned a heater at the grill on whisper , so the wind does not have any if eating outside in the evening? I don't see myself cooking my own steak, so don't expect the hot stones will be my source of heat if it's too cold. :confused:

In regards to tv in room, you mentioned that you had the option to select movies from the ships library selection, so does that mean they still have DVD players in the room? The agent I spoke to said there were none, so thought the refurb may have replaced them with interactive tv because had read that there had been DVD players in the room.

Thanks again to you or any others that offer advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope we will not be upset by what we find on the Silver Cloud next week. We knew it was going to be Dry Docked and refurbished in the fall but still are hopeful that it will be as luxurious a sail for us as the Wind was back in 2011.

I have to pipe up again. My family and I were in three cabins on The Cloud over the Christmas/New Years holiday, (Capetown RT) I was very concerned that the ship would be shabby due to the upcoming total rehab late this summer. The Cloud looked wonderful. I don't think any of us noticed anything amiss anywhere on the ship. She was very clean and looked really well for an older lady due for major "surgery" in about 8 months. I was, quite frankly, amazed. Have a marvelous cruise...please take us along!