Which Flightsee company in Talkeetna to take?

jhinslc13

Last week took K2Air, had booked months prior with Talkeetna Air and was cancelled due to bad weather, rebooked thru cruiseline next day with K2.

I am sure both are very good, pilots are in constant contact with each other while up in air about conditions and their location. While ours was fabulous with K2 Air, my thought is either would be great. Just don't skip the glacier landing......A mazing !!!!

Last week took K2Air, had booked months prior with Talkeetna Air and was cancelled due to bad weather, rebooked thru cruiseline next day with K2.

I am sure both are very good, pilots are in constant contact with each other while up in air about conditions and their location. While ours was fabulous with K2 Air, my thought is either would be great. Just don't skip the glacier landing......A mazing !!!!

Thank you for your input. Which flightsee route did you do? What did you do while in Ketchikan?

Edited by jhinslc13

I believe ours was the "grande", which goes all around Denali, however weather or wind was an issue so we didn't get to the North side, which from my standpoint, was a non-issue. I would never have known, we even got about an $80 refund since we didn't get there. Pilot explained where we were every step of the way and what we were seeing.

In Kechikan we just rented a little golf cart/elec. car and did our own sights. It was great since my hubby can't walk miles and miles. We got to see the whole town.

I flew Denali Air this week from the Healy airport, 15-minute ride from the McKinley Lodge. Pilot took us around Denali several times so that all could get pictures. Also went up and down several of the glaciers passes. It was a fabulous three hours.

The mountain is no longer called McKinley. It's name has been changed back to it's original name, Denali. We flew with Talkeetna Air Taxi two weeks ago and it was, hands down, the most awe-inspiring thing I have ever done in my life. We booked the Grand Denali tour with a glacier landing. Our pilot told us that the north side of the mountain was overcast and we wouldn't be able to see much so we elected for an extended tour of the south side. We landed at the base camp for climbers attempting to summit the mountain. How many are in your group? The Northern Lights coupon book has a coupon for 25% off a group of 4. For the $55 cost of the book, we saved $420.

Flew Talkeetna Air Taxi a couple weeks ago. Originally booked a Grand Tour w/ Glacier Landing but the North side was socked in, so they turned it into a Southside Explorer (their term) w/ Glacier Landing (and charged us the lesser rate of course). Do not miss the glacier landing. Incredible views and experience. TAT was professional, helpful, and friendly from start to finish. Highly recommended.

Note that the Northern Lights book has a coupon for 25% off of a party of 4. We were 6 total, so four tickers received the discount, and the other two a standard 10% discount (I forgot where the 10% came from). Save us many times the cost of the coupon book.

If you go TAT, ask for Melissa. Very friendly and professional. Actually an ex-stunt and air show pilot, and pretty handy with a camera.

There are multiple routes to be aware of. I just flew again with K2 on their Summit trip- which is my favorite. I have flown all the routes. A ski plane can be a preference if you haven't done one of those before. But going over the top is a thrill for me, every time. :)

After at least 25 trips into Denali via shuttle bus, I finally got my full view a couple weeks ago. Went in 3 times this trip, well worth it to finally see it inside the park. I'd seen it several times outside. :)

There are multiple routes to be aware of. I just flew again with K2 on their Summit trip- which is my favorite. I have flown all the routes. A ski plane can be a preference if you haven't done one of those before. But going over the top is a thrill for me, every time. :)

After at least 25 trips into Denali via shuttle bus, I finally got my full view a couple weeks ago. Went in 3 times this trip, well worth it to finally see it inside the park. I'd seen it several times outside. :)

Wow! After hearing this from you it makes me realize how fortunate we were. Denali was "out" 5 days in a row for us. Not all day, every day but we were able to see the summit every day. Here is one of our views on the way into the Eielson Visitor Center.

35376448576_f710cebdea_c_d.jpg

Just out of curiosity, when were you there? We had this view on Monday, June 5th.

Wow! After hearing this from you it makes me realize how fortunate we were. Denali was "out" 5 days in a row for us. Not all day, every day but we were able to see the summit every day. Here is one of our views on the way into the Eielson Visitor Center.

35376448576_f710cebdea_c_d.jpg

Just out of curiosity, when were you there? We had this view on Monday, June 5th.

Beautiful photo. :) :)

I was there a few days later, just to clarify, this photo wasn't from near Eielson, where the view would have been unobstructed. My perfect view this trip was from between Eielson and Wonder Lake. :)

Beautiful photo. :) :)

I was there a few days later, just to clarify, this photo wasn't from near Eielson, where the view would have been unobstructed. My perfect view this trip was from between Eielson and Wonder Lake. :)

To clarify, I stated that it was one of our views on the way into the Eielson Visitor Center.

To clarify, I stated that it was one of our views on the way into the Eielson Visitor Center.

Yes I know. But many people have probably looked at your photo. Sometimes with reading, it can be confusing, when names are included. :) This looks like a Savage River or Polychrome Pass photo. Do you remember where it was?

Yes I know. But many people have probably looked at your photo. Sometimes with reading, it can be confusing, when names are included. :) This looks like a Savage River or Polychrome Pass photo. Do you remember where it was?

Unfortunately, I do not remember where it was taken. I know it was taken after the parking area in Polychrome Pass, just not sure how much farther.