Cuba cruise May 2018 in jeopardy?

Kingofcool1947

I recently placed a deposit on 7 day May 2018 Cuba cruise.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed it won't be cancelled because of President Trump's anti -Cuban policies.

Will Oceania refund my deposit if Oceania cancels the cruise because of Cuban visa issues, or if Oceania changes the itinerary (no port of calls in Cuba)?

What do you think?

Thanks.

Will not know what the new rules will be for a few months

then if the cruise lines decide to change itineraries I am sure it will announced once the new rules have been disclosed

right now everything is speculation

Check the cancellation penalty schedule for your sailing

Seems like cruises to Cuba are not affected

The phrase "cruises to Cuba are not affected" is somewhat misleading. Cruise ships are going to be allowed to dock in Cuban ports. However, the rules governing what US visitors may or may not do in port are about to change. Here's the link to the "White House Fact Sheet on Cuba Policy"

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/06/16/fact-sheet-cuba-policy

Here's the pertinent section of the policy:

"Among other changes, travel for non-academic educational purposes will be limited to group travel. The self-directed, individual travel permitted by the Obama administration will be prohibited...."

Until the Treasury Department and, to a lesser extent, the Department of Commerce clarify how that broad policy statement translates into specifics, there's little Oceania or individual cruisers can know.

Will Oceania continue to cruise to Cuba, but require anyone wishing to disembark at Cuban ports to book a ship-sponsored excursion? Will US cruisers be able to learn the names of US-government approved Cuban tour providers and contact them directly to take small group tours? (This assumes a US-approved Cuban tour company is even interested in small groups when there is so much more money to be made taking big groups around.)

Much too early to know! However, the OP can be certain that by the time he sails next May the new restrictions will be in place.

I recently placed a deposit on 7 day May 2018 Cuba cruise.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed it won't be cancelled because of President Trump's anti -Cuban policies.

Will Oceania refund my deposit if Oceania cancels the cruise because of Cuban visa issues, or if Oceania changes the itinerary (no port of calls in Cuba)?

What do you think?

Thanks.

I am trying to find any anti Cuban policy's from Trump. Can't. I see anti Cuban dictatorship policy's and pro Cuban people's rights. That is what we should be for.

It would be nice not to have political rhetoric on Cuba on these Boards

Every time I read snark, it lowers the posters credibility.

Not rhetoric, just the facts.

I am trying to find any anti Cuban policy's from Trump. Can't. I see anti Cuban dictatorship policy's and pro Cuban people's rights. That is what we should be for.

RJB, Did you happen to note our posts were deleted from another site? Google her handle. Interesting.

RJB, Did you happen to note our posts were deleted from another site? Google her handle. Interesting.

Did not notice. I believe we are having an adult discussion and any disagreement is OK if we are truthful and do not insult each other. All sides should be heard even if we do not agree.

Discuss political opinions on email, and leave the boards to their stated purposes, please.

So tell me, what is their stated purposes? All we can offer is our opinions. Political or otherwise. They always can overlap as policy's can change all the time weather from cruise ship company's or governments. WE need honest free speech to give our opinions on all things that concern us about what we need to know about our cruises. That's what these boards should be about.

It would be nice not to have political rhetoric on Cuba on these Boards

Every time I read snark, it lowers the posters credibility.

A user can be put on ignore easily. Have yet to do it but getting close :)

Click on the poster's avatar. Click User Lists. Click Add to Ignore List.

Very best to you.

So tell me, what is their stated purposes? All we can offer is our opinions. Political or otherwise. They always can overlap as policy's can change all the time weather from cruise ship company's or governments. WE need honest free speech to give our opinions on all things that concern us about what we need to know about our cruises. That's what these boards should be about.

Wonder what Oprah would think about all this? And by the way, why do all the comments related to a thread disappear from our personal histories when the thread is disposed of by CC? There is no good reason for that added censorship.

A user can be put on ignore easily. Have yet to do it but getting close :)

Click on the poster's avatar. Click User Lists. Click Add to Ignore List.

Very best to you.

very good suggestion

I have a long list & it makes my life less stressful reading the forums ;)

So, are you booked for a cruise to a Cuba?

Yes

I believe you should act like your handle and wait to see what actually happens instead of crying about it before knowing anything concrete. Or is this just a chance for you to make political snipes? You can either go with the flow or cancel.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Yes

Great. Looking forward to your review.

Non-political person. I could care less about Americans and their politics. I don't live in USA.

You? Where is chuckletown?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Now, back to my OP. What about cruises to Cuba? Will they continue? :)

Thank you!

I do not think anyone has a crystal ball

We all just have to wait & see when the new rules are finalized & the cruise lines decide if they can comply with the them or not

I do not think anyone has a crystal ball

We all just have to wait & see when the new rules are finalized & the cruise lines decide if they can comply with the them or not

Thank you.

I just spoke to Oceania, and it's a go for cruise to Cuba. Approved.