"Cabin Cough" NCL Jewel Alaska May 20-27, 2017

Danrvman

NCL Norwegian Jewel Alaska May 20-27, 2017 severe "cabin cough". Both Husband (began Tues.) and myself (began Thurs) were/are ill with dry cough, chills fever, tiredness, body aches. 5 out of 10 from our town on cruise are ill. Would like to hear from others who were ill.

Found this blog from an ill passenger from the week before on the Jewel. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=577035

Found this link that describes what we all might have.

https://www.drugs.com/cg/pontiac-fever.html

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Coral SB May 20-27 Luckily I did not get it until Friday. My husband started on Sunday. Kinda spoiled our weekend in Vancouver. I thought mine started after being on a whale watching trip in Juneau where several folks were onboard coughing. I had been very careful to wash my hands several times & Princess had Purell dispensers everywhere. I even bought antibacterial hand soap with me and washed my hands every time we came back to the cabin. After reading your link, we did have a suite with whirlpool tub which we used!

There were lots of folks coughing on the Coral also.

Edited by Hdnwaters

There's NOTHING fair about being sick on a vacation! What miserable luck.

If the referenced article is correct and this was caused by the Legionella bacteria, I'm not sure as even being conscientious about washing your hands can protect you; being in a van where half the folks are coughing it out would do most of us in. This might be an instance where taking care of ourselves otherwise (proper rest and healthy food) might help, but who does much of that on vacation? I suppose the advice I've gotten about keeping your immune system up with something like Airborne might help, but it sounds a lot like just plain unfortunate luck.

I'll take the chance and continue to cruise, though ;)

There's NOTHING fair about being sick on a vacation! What miserable luck.

the advice I've gotten about keeping your immune system up with something like Airborne might help, but it sounds a lot like just plain unfortunate luck.

I'll take the chance and continue to cruise, though ;)

I think I just got the unlucky roll of the dice! I actually took airborne before the cruise & for the first couple of nights. I am normally healthy and do eat well. Maybe it's the stress/excitement of the trip that tends to lower ones immune system. I probably didn't sleep as well as I do at home. I only over did the drinking one night. [emoji16] In airplanes & cruise ships you are around a lot of people in confined spaces. It only takes being near that one cough or sneeze! We were in AK four days before the cruise & I was 6 days on the cruise before I started feeling bad so at least it didn't spoil my whole trip. Plus I function well on advil & Irish Coffee!

We are still suffering a week after leaving the Norwegian Jewel May 20-27, 2017. Have seen physician, contacted CDC and local public health, and travel agency. Have been in contact with 14 others who are also ill with upper respiratory symptoms. Would not recommend a cruise for anyone with a chronic illnesses, previous history of bronchitis or those 60 or 65 and above.

I think I just got the unlucky roll of the dice! I actually took airborne before the cruise & for the first couple of nights. I am normally healthy and do eat well. Maybe it's the stress/excitement of the trip that tends to lower ones immune system. I probably didn't sleep as well as I do at home. I only over did the drinking one night. [emoji16] In airplanes & cruise ships you are around a lot of people in confined spaces. It only takes being near that one cough or sneeze! We were in AK four days before the cruise & I was 6 days on the cruise before I started feeling bad so at least it didn't spoil my whole trip. Plus I function well on advil & Irish Coffee!

There is no scientific evidence that Airborne works so it isn't surprising that it didn't prevent getting sick. It is certainly no fun to get sick while traveling. I got a cold toward the end of our Lisbon to Barcelona cruise. Hope that doesn't happen on our Alaska cruise.

We are still suffering a week after leaving the Norwegian Jewel May 20-27, 2017. Have seen physician, contacted CDC and local public health, and travel agency. Have been in contact with 14 others who are also ill with upper respiratory symptoms. Would not recommend a cruise for anyone with a chronic illnesses, previous history of bronchitis or those 60 or 65 and above.

Us too. I was a couple days ahead of my husband. We both went to the doctor. I got a steroid shot, an inhaler, and an antibiotic. I actually went to work on Wednesday. My DH just came around yesterday. (Coral Princess 20-27)

I'd say it's more likely that you picked something up on the plane. Dry, recycled air makes you very vulnerable. I use a saline spray and gel to keep my nasal passages moist and VERY rarely get sick when traveling. Hope you feel better soon!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, you don't recommend a cruise for anyone 60 or 65? Doubt that wisdom will be followed considered current ship travel demographics. I'd like to not recommend sick people cruise but I'll not hold my breath on that working.

Got sick with influenza and upper respiratory infection on the Noordam, may 21 to 28. I wondered about the ship bringing it from Australia as it is flu season down under. Interesting that so many on other ships as well.

It was a plague on the Noordam this week. People started with it on the busses and trains after Denali, and it only spread more once onboard. The captain said the medical center was very busy with it and to keep washing hands. Lots of crew and passengers coughing.

Coughing, very sore throat and ears, joint aches, exhaustion. I only got home yesterday so I doubt I am out of the woods in terms of coming down with it. But hopefully I got away without it.

Would not recommend a cruise for anyone with a chronic illnesses, previous history of bronchitis or those 60 or 65 and above.

While I respect your place here to express your opinion, I feel obligated to balance that statement out a bit.

A cruise line that is remiss in keeping things clean on a regular basis might warrant a "stay away", but unless there's proof of some sort of Legionnaires' disease/Legionellosis being spread by the ventilation system (which I've yet to hear of) it's a little rash to advise folks not to cruise, in my admittedly less than humble opinion. It's unfortunate that you and some others got sick, but saying not to cruise is a bit much... especially with nothing more than speculation as to how or where the folks were exposed.

Please update this thread with any verifiable information from the CDC, though.

This is very interesting to read. It's usually you lot bringing Norwalk to the Alaska natives, but in this case, I fear we may be giving this Kennel Cough to you! There's been this horrible cough going around Southeast Alaska all winter. The illness seems to be done in a couple of days, but the cough stays for weeks. I've had coworkers who couldn't shake the cough for weeks--one was at nine weeks and counting.

All symptoms described are manifestations of this years influenza virus. Cough lingers for 2-4 weeks with severe sore throat. Those over the age of 65 should get the enhanced flu vaccine each year. It is more vaccine than the normal dose. It was very late in manifesting in the Pacific Northwest . I always carry disinfecting wipes for plane and try not to touch eyes and nose during flu season. Vaccine was slightly off this year, hopefully next year they will get it right. :confused:

We were on Coral SB 6/3-10. Our travelling partners (parents and two teens) got sick on land portion (productive coughs) and the Dad was positive for the flu 2nd day on board ship. He was quarantined to room for 4 days, family started on Tamiflu and never got sicker than the annoying cough. I did hear LOTS of coughing during the rest of the cruise, all around us. DH and I were VERY diligent about using Purell and never touching our faces. Fortunately we never got sick. And imagine this -- we're both over 60. Can't believe someone thinks those over 60 shouldn't cruise. :mad:

We were on Coral SB 6/3-10. Our travelling partners (parents and two teens) got sick on land portion (productive coughs) and the Dad was positive for the flu 2nd day on board ship. He was quarantined to room for 4 days, family started on Tamiflu and never got sicker than the annoying cough. I did hear LOTS of coughing during the rest of the cruise, all around us. DH and I were VERY diligent about using Purell and never touching our faces. Fortunately we never got sick. And imagine this -- we're both over 60. Can't believe someone thinks those over 60 shouldn't cruise. :mad:

I commented early on this post & my symptoms were pretty typical for a mild case of the flu. I did run fever about 101 for 2 days & that usually doesn't happen with just a cold. I had a flu shot but it was in early October & I'm some of it's effectiveness had worn off. We were on the Coral SB 20-27. There was lots of coughing. I'm glad it happened towards the end of our trip. I'm 60 and it wont keep me from cruising again. [emoji16]I used that Purell and washed hands too but I think I got more lenient on the hand washing later in the week.

It's never fun to get sick or be out of commission during a cruise - hope everyone is on the mend or getting medical care.

I would recommend to all cruisers that each passenger always make an official report to the medical staff on the ship so it can be properly documented for each person affected. In the event it becomes an outbreak, the more accurate the statistics and details are, the better chance it can be addressed and resolved or at least other passengers can be informed. In addition, those numbers get reported to the CDC. You can also report your experiences directly to CDC if you feel the Cruise Staff isn't properly addressing/reporting occurrences on your specific sailing. The more accurate the reporting, the better it is for all concerned for both cruise lines and passengers, IMHO.

More often than not, I used to get kennel cough or worse after flying and personally attributed it to stale airplane air and close quarters on the plane. Like another poster mentioned, I now use saline nasal mist and just before I climb on the plane, I apply saline gel (I prefer Ayre) up each nostril, plus I use antibacterial wipes on the seatbelt, armrest, etc. and never touch my face and use my hand sanitizer a few times (overkill) . Since I started this routine, I haven't gotten sick or a cough after flying the past 4 or 5 years.

Over 65 here with occasional bouts of bronchitis and wouldn't dream of quitting cruising unless doctor orders, which hasn't happened. First cruise at 62 - our 5th cruise upcoming in two months, yay for us! I get the high potency flu shot every year as well as pneumonia vaccine as recommended. Color me not ready for the rocking chair.

Wishing happy and healthy cruising to all our fellow cruisers!

Edited by geogran
Add comment