First solo cruise

I am. 47 and seriously considering booking a royal Caribbean cruise for my bday may 27. Im picking royal because I like the idea of the solo suite balcony. I am very nervous but really want to do this. :)

No worries..sign up for your roll call and meet people prior to the cruise. At dinner ask to sit at a large table. Attend the solo cruisers meet and greet advertised in the cruise compass. Be open to talking with various people around the ship. The first solo cruise leads to many others. Enjoy

I cruised solo on Anthem in March and it was a fantastic cruise! I have cruised many times solo, then married, and now I've done 5 more solo since my husband passed. Cruising is fantastic for solos. Lots of activities to join (or even just watch) and I've always found people to chat with (or not if I just want "quiet" time). You'll love it!

I am. 47 and seriously considering booking a royal Caribbean cruise for my bday may 27. Im picking royal because I like the idea of the solo suite balcony. I am very nervous but really want to do this. :)

Yes Yes Yes! Book :D

I loved Quantum as a solo. I can't remember reading any other solo reviews regarding Q or Anthem, but by all means if you have some time to kill take a look at my review as a solo (albeit with Quantum with several differences especially the now gone Dynamic Dining system) but would give you a great idea how I did things as a solo. Made great friends.... sailing with one in a couple of months and showed another around my home town just a few weeks ago. You've got a great itinerary (the 9-=day itinerary correct?) to meet up with people and do group site seeing or go on your own (San Juan is awesome on your own in Old Town for example for site seeing and photos). Have a great cruise

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2137643

I say do it!!!! I too am 47 and just made my final payment for my first solo cruise on Anthem in Sept for my birthday..... I'm a little nervous but love cruising....I have 2x the vacation time as my other half....and this sounded like something to try at least once....hope I like it..... I choose a 5-night over a 7 for my first solo experience......and got a decent solo suplimement rate on a regular veranda room.... Thought about taking my first NCL cruise and booking one of their studio rooms...but I'm not ready to give up the balcony and listening to the waves for hours...... I also bought the BOGO dinning to do a specialty on my bday........I'm kinda excited about the idea of having a room all to myself.....sleep however late or whenever I want......looking forward to being on my time and no one else's.... Do report back with a review!!!!

I say do it!!!! I too am 47 and just made my final payment for my first solo cruise on Anthem in Sept for my birthday..... I'm a little nervous but love cruising....I have 2x the vacation time as my other half....and this sounded like something to try at least once....hope I like it..... I choose a 5-night over a 7 for my first solo experience......and got a decent solo suplimement rate on a regular veranda room.... Thought about taking my first NCL cruise and booking one of their studio rooms...but I'm not ready to give up the balcony and listening to the waves for hours...... I also bought the BOGO dinning to do a specialty on my bday........I'm kinda excited about the idea of having a room all to myself.....sleep however late or whenever I want......looking forward to being on my time and no one else's.... Do report back with a review!!!!

Please give a report of your experience. Its far away but I really think I want to do this

I cruised Anthem and Quantum out of NJ solo in 2015 & 2016. Will be going back on Anthem in December this year. Do it. You won't be disappointed!!! The ship is amazing. The single balcony cabins are awesome and I know you will meet lots of friendly folks on the cruise. I always do!! :D

Edited by netekay

I did my first solo cruise last year when I was 49 years old. I have sail many + times with family but like you my husband did not have any more vacation days and I did not want to sit at home on my vacation! So I sailed on the Grandeur for 9 nights. Sure I was apprehensive traveling alone but once I was on the ship it was wonderful. I actually found that when people discovered I was traveling alone they made an extra effort to invite me to sit with them at lunch, in the theatre etc. I never felt alone. I had such a relaxing time I booked another solo cruise for February. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

Well as another 47 year old, I wanted to say go for it as well! I did my first two solos last year on Jewel of the Seas (balcony) and Explorer (outside). I enjoy cruising with my parents and friends, but solo is more enjoyable than one may initially expect. I have two more solos booked (balcony and inside).

I was afraid people might comment on one person in a balcony, but no one did. I joined my roll calls so I "knew" people ahead of time and also made friends at dinner and on excursions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of the things I love about cruising is meeting new people...I've never had someone not answer my greeting or question...cruisers are ( with a few exceptions, I suppose ) very friendly and inviting. Go ahead and book, you'll have a great time!

I did my first solo cruise last year when I was 49 years old. I have sail many + times with family but like you my husband did not have any more vacation days and I did not want to sit at home on my vacation! So I sailed on the Grandeur for 9 nights. Sure I was apprehensive traveling alone but once I was on the ship it was wonderful. I actually found that when people discovered I was traveling alone they made an extra effort to invite me to sit with them at lunch, in the theatre etc. I never felt alone. I had such a relaxing time I booked another solo cruise for February. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

I think at this point i am more inclined to do it than not.:)

My first and only solo cruise so far was a full transit through the Panama Canal a few years ago. 15 nights. I had met people on my roll call that I met up with on board. I even joined them for dinner most nights and did a few excursions with them as well. It was a GREAT experience. My only complaint was I only had an outside cabin. I really missed having a balcony and I did get bored quite a bit. It was a small ship (Legend) and not much to do. Would I do it again? You bet cha! ;)

I cruised Anthem and Quantum out of NJ solo in 2015 & 2016. Will be going back on Anthem in December this year. Do it. You won't be disappointed!!! The ship is amazing. The single balcony cabins are awesome and I know you will meet lots of friendly folks on the cruise. I always do!! :D

There are a bunch of solo's on the 12/2 cruise. It should be a lot of fun.

There are a bunch of solo's on the 12/2 cruise. It should be a lot of fun.

I hope so! I am one of them...:)

This will be my first time going solo on RCI, and if it's anything like my experience on the NCL Breakaway last January, I will be very happy....

I hope RCI has an activities staff member hosting nightly solo cruiser's meets, like NCL did...