Emergency contact

If there was an emergency back home how would someone get in touch with me while I'm on my cruise?

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I have my phone switched on 24 hours,any calls i stop them and ring straight back to save both of us being charged.

There is a ships maritime signal comes on your phone when away from land so you can use your phone at any time but it is quite expensive.

Should I keep my phone on airplane mode the whole cruise?

If you want to receive called on your cell phone, you have two options:

Don't put your phone in airplane mode, and receive calls using the ships cell tower. Most cell carriers charge $2.49 per minute for this. No charges from the ship.

If your phone has WiFi calling enabled, then you can put it in airplane mode, turn if WiFi, and connect to the ship's WIFi to receive calls. You will need to pay for the ship's WiFi, but there won't be any charges from the cell carrier.

Should I keep my phone on airplane mode the whole cruise?

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

How you setup your phone depends on how you plan on using your phone while on the ship and while in port. If you have a smartphone, you need to be aware of your data settings. My phone always has data roaming off so I do not incur excess charges while traveling. Depending on your cell phone provider, you may have data service on the ship, Verizon no longer supports data on cruise ships while other providers have cruise ship plans.

What you do really depends on your particular situation.

How you setup your phone depends on how you plan on using your phone while on the ship and while in port. If you have a smartphone, you need to be aware of your data settings. My phone always has data roaming off so I do not incur excess charges while traveling. Depending on your cell phone provider, you may have data service on the ship, Verizon no longer supports data on cruise ships while other providers have cruise ship plans.

What you do really depends on your particular situation.

In my experience, data service at sea via the ship's cellular connection is very slow and very expensive.

You will need purchase wifi from the ship...but there are two app that are free to,use and download and you can wifi call.... viber and WhatsApp . The person that would need to get a hold of you will also need to have the app downloaded. It helped us on our last cruise when there was an emergency at our home and my brother was able to get a hold of us and talk to us on what we wanted him to do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums