Dog on ship

You seem to want to see that as incongruity instead of seeing it as a statement about relative risk based on prevalence and severity.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I certainly learn new words with your posts.lol.

They have to understand that it is not healthy for other passengers even if they have permission. Dogs should only be allowed for the blind. This picture was on Oasis March 20, 2017.19030424_1918265385082923_8173276205176742770_n.jpg?oh=060e127bc54172053778b639430e9c7e&oe=59CDD48F

I am in total agreement to not allowing dogs on the ship unless they are service dogs, but service dogs are not only for the blind, I have a friend who's dog knows if she is going to have an epileptic seizure and will warn her and protects her from hurting herself while in the seizure. There are also dogs for the deaf, etc. Although they are the most commonly known, please don't believe they are only for the blind.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am in total agreement to not allowing dogs on the ship unless they are service dogs' date=' but service dogs are not only for the blind, I have a friend who's dog knows if she is going to have an epileptic seizure and will warn her and protects her from hurting herself while in the seizure. There are also dogs for the deaf, etc. Although they are the most commonly known, please don't believe they are only for the blind.

I saw a service dog trained for seizure alert at Pei Wei. The dog was well behaved, wore a vest indicating the training and sat under the table at the person's feet. A service dog is in a different category than an emotional support dog which are not required to be trained.

I am in total agreement to not allowing dogs on the ship unless they are service dogs' date=' but service dogs are not only for the blind, I have a friend who's dog knows if she is going to have an epileptic seizure and will warn her and protects her from hurting herself while in the seizure. There are also dogs for the deaf, etc. Although they are the most commonly known, please don't believe they are only for the blind.

All these dogs are wonderful and very necessary for the owner.

It is the so called handbag or comfort dogs that i think most of us disagree with because most people leave their pets at home while these people don't.

My cousin has been training service dogs for years. They fail the test if they bark uncontrollably. She has had several they refused due to barking (and then adopted them herself since they had no where to go then). In no way does a true service dog bark like that.

I was on two different ships with the same woman who took her small dog into the MDR, fed him from her plate (gross!!:eek:) and several times the dog had barking spells that lasted a long time. You could hear it through out the ship when they were in the centrum. That is the type that abuses the rules...shame...and I am guessing it a sore point for people that really depend on their true service dogs.

It all boils down to people taking advantage of the title service dog. People take advantage of it. If there is a real need, mentally or physically, I support it. I know some of our veterans have PTSD service dogs, others have epileptic service dogs, hearing dogs, guide/blind dogs, diabetic, etc. I think most agree if it's for a valid reason, it's ok. The problem is people become judgmental and make assumptions. Why? Because there are people who take advantage of it. True service dogs are properly trained period.

If someone has an allergy to a dog it needs to be addressed. As for dining rooms, my friend with the deaf service dog with her at a restaurant, had her dog right under her chair. Most people never even noticed. She remained under the table, didn't beg, stayed calm and slept her way through dinner. She was well behaved. Again, it's the ones who are not true service dogs that ruin it for the rest.

It all boils down to people taking advantage of the title service dog. People take advantage of it. If there is a real need, mentally or physically, I support it. I know some of our veterans have PTSD service dogs, others have epileptic service dogs, hearing dogs, guide/blind dogs, diabetic, etc. I think most agree if it's for a valid reason, it's ok. The problem is people become judgmental and make assumptions. Why? Because there are people who take advantage of it. True service dogs are properly trained period.

If someone has an allergy to a dog it needs to be addressed. As for dining rooms, my friend with the deaf service dog with her at a restaurant, had her dog right under her chair. Most people never even noticed. She remained under the table, didn't beg, stayed calm and slept her way through dinner. She was well behaved. Again, it's the ones who are not true service dogs that ruin it for the rest.

Perfectly true.

Is it a service dog if the dog eats from a plate at the table? Is it a service dog if the dog barks frequently? As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have recently seen a service dog in a Pei Wei restaurant and the dog sat the owner's feet without begging and barking.

Is it a service dog if the dog eats from a plate at the table? Is it a service dog if the dog barks frequently? As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have recently seen a service dog in a Pei Wei restaurant and the dog sat the owner's feet without begging and barking.

That does not sound like a true service dog. Why do you think they were a service dog, were they wearing a vest? Those can be purchased online. Most likely someone who says the dog is a service dog to be able to take them with them everywhere.

Off topic, what is Pei Wei?

That does not sound like a true service dog. Why do you think they were a service dog, were they wearing a vest? Those can be purchased online. Most likely someone who says the dog is a service dog to be able to take them with them everywhere.

Off topic, what is Pei Wei?

I have been on flights and cruises with people who had emotional support dogs without a vest. The dogs were not well behaved. I have never seen a service dog that was not well behaved. A PTSD dog attacked a Delta Airlines passenger by biting the passenger's face in early June.

Pei Wei is a restaurant chain in the US.

Here is a photo of my Wife's Service Dog, Booty.

DSCN3475_zpsed1attib.jpg

Normally she goes under the table when we dine out and lays down and nobody even knows she is there. In the photo, the table cloth goes all of the way down to the floor and booty doesn't like going under a table like that because she feels shut away from us. In this case, she is just outside the table cloth with her head on my knee. We have to be careful when she does this because sometimes her tail lays on the floor where people walk and she was stepped on once. We don't know who was more upset, Booty or the nice lady who stepped on her tail.

Booty provides a priceless service for my Wife but in return we have to care for her, provide for her, and protect her when we are out in public. My Wife can handle Booty but I have to handle the area around us and prevent people and especially kids from wanting to pet or grab Booty. Other dogs that are not well trained are often a problem.

Owning a Service Dog is a big responsibility and a lot of work!

We are very lucky that we have a first class kennel where we can leave her when we are on a cruise.

I have been on flights and cruises with people who had emotional support dogs without a vest. The dogs were not well behaved. I have never seen a service dog that was not well behaved. A PTSD dog attacked a Delta Airlines passenger by biting the passenger's face in early June.

Pei Wei is a restaurant chain in the US.

I think we are saying the same thing about these untrained dogs.

Just googled Pei Wei, looks like a fast food PF Changs. I am outside Boston and none within 100 miles according to their location finder. Will keep in mind for when we are travelling.

I think we are saying the same thing about these untrained dogs.

Just googled Pei Wei, looks like a fast food PF Changs. I am outside Boston and none within 100 miles according to their location finder. Will keep in mind for when we are travelling.

I think we are saying the same thing. Pei Wei has the sane owner as PF Changs and is the downscale version.

I understand the frustration with those who take advantage of a policy such as this. My opinion... none of us would ever really know what is a true service dog versus an imposter. We may think a person is taking advantage of the policy, but we have no way to confirm this. We can't / shouldn't ask a person about their service dog. So If you see one, assume it is legit and move on.

However, if it is causing a real problem for you (growling in a threatening way, pottying in public areas, etc.) report it to the crew and let them handle it. And I see nothing wrong with letting the owner know at that point the dog's behavior is inappropriate.

There will always be those who break the rules. I used to get upset about the selfish chair hogs, seat savers, line jumpers. I was letting others behavior that is totally out of my control negatively impact my experience. So now I do my best to ignore it and assume that karma catches up with them eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

a03398acb492b66da0ae8b7b31175e47.jpgb38285d7b75f511083a91c98d5f6e1f6.jpg

I found these on e-bay. It is truely sad that people who just don't want to leave Fido behind ruin the legitimacy of the service dogs that are really needed. I am a bit nervous to leave our dogs as we only got them last summer. Otto will be fine I'm sure but Elvis has bad anxiety and hates when we leave him. They are both rescues. Otto was Just 8 weeks old when we got him so we know his life story. Elvis we got as a rescue a few weeks before Otto and he was aprox 4 months old so we have no idea what happened to him before he came to us. I joke that he needs a service human. Maybe I can say he can't be without us so he has to come along...lol. For those who truely need a service dog I do hope they soon find a way to differentiate between the real service dogs and the fake!!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

Isn't it amazing in the last five years or so the significant increase in gluten intolerance and service animals? How did we survive before.

Flagrant abuses of service animal policies are a major disservice to those with real needs and professionally trained service animals. If your dog is in a stroller, it is a pet.

Here is a photo of my Wife's Service Dog, Booty.

DSCN3475_zpsed1attib.jpg

Normally she goes under the table when we dine out and lays down and nobody even knows she is there. In the photo, the table cloth goes all of the way down to the floor and booty doesn't like going under a table like that because she feels shut away from us. In this case, she is just outside the table cloth with her head on my knee. We have to be careful when she does this because sometimes her tail lays on the floor where people walk and she was stepped on once. We don't know who was more upset, Booty or the nice lady who stepped on her tail.

Booty provides a priceless service for my Wife but in return we have to care for her, provide for her, and protect her when we are out in public. My Wife can handle Booty but I have to handle the area around us and prevent people and especially kids from wanting to pet or grab Booty. Other dogs that are not well trained are often a problem.

Owning a Service Dog is a big responsibility and a lot of work!

We are very lucky that we have a first class kennel where we can leave her when we are on a cruise.

If more people were as upright and conscientious as you it would be a wonderful thing.