Travel insurance for Aussies

Much depends on your personal circumstances. I would suggest you do your own research, and take into consider your age and any pre existing medical conditions and activities you plan on doing. There are many travel insurance companies around and I am sure some CCs will recommend some from previous experiences. Just make sure you read the policies offered very carefully especially exclusions. And do not rely on Complimentary Travel Insurance through your credit card to cover all your requirements and circumstances.

Much depends on your personal circumstances. I would suggest you do your own research, and take into consider your age and any pre existing medical conditions and activities you plan on doing. There are many travel insurance companies around and I am sure some CCs will recommend some from previous experiences. Just make sure you read the policies offered very carefully especially exclusions. And do not rely on Complimentary Travel Insurance through your credit card to cover all your requirements and circumstances.

Depending on your circumstances you should look at the company that insures your car, house, etc. They are underwritten by the big travel companies and generally give you a discount for your other policies.

I bought from Insure & Go for our upcoming Hawaiian cruise, then found out that I could have got it for $200 cheaper at my local Building Society. Also they won't cover for helicopter or light plane tours.

Do shop around first.

Do an online search, check the terms and conditions and pick one that suits you, especially if you have any pre existing conditions that may be a factor.

NRMA, Insure and Go, Budget travel insurance, Travel insurance Direct and Covermore are some that come to mind but each have slightly different cover and of course costs.

Can't add much have used a few, but never needed to claim, so it's hard to say.

My son had his wallet pinched in Ireland and NRMA were great fixing things up to get him some $$$ ASAP.

I have only claimed on the insurance associated with my Credit card (overseas travel insurance Only) and have had no issues with the claims. For domestic cruises I have used a few but haven't needed to claim.

Thanks for that.

Lots of PDS documents downloaded for wife peruse while recovering from bunion surgery next month.

That should keep her distracted for a while. :)

It sure will, just remember that the detail is in the fine print.:cool:

I've bought Insure and Go Silver Cruise policy for the last two cruises. The policy has cruise specific items covered, so that is a plus. Never had to claim anything, so not sure how good it really is.

I've bought Insure and Go Silver Cruise policy for the last two cruises. The policy has cruise specific items covered, so that is a plus. Never had to claim anything, so not sure how good it really is.

I am curious what cruise specific items were covered.

You need to look at the details but things like these -

Reimbursementsfor shore excursions that are cancelled/interrupted by the cruise liner

Cabin confinement for medicalreasons (with med cert.)

Cruisedelay

Emergencymedical transportation

Missed cruise departure

Missed port cover for weather/timetable restrictions

They also have this comment -

Does travel insurance cover me for anything that can go wrong on my trip?

Unfortunately not. There are limits and exclusions to all travel insurance policies, so we strongly advise you to read our product disclosure statement (or search [ctrl+F] for key words to check limits and exclusions) to see if our product is right for you.

I always get mine through Australia Post, who are resellers for Covermore. Price is good, and they do have cruise specific policies. Haven't made a claim though, so it's hard to say how good they really are.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

You need to look at the details but things like these -

Reimbursementsfor shore excursions that are cancelled/interrupted by the cruise liner

Cabin confinement for medicalreasons (with med cert.)

Cruisedelay

Emergencymedical transportation

Missed cruise departure

Missed port cover for weather/timetable restrictions

They also have this comment -

Does travel insurance cover me for anything that can go wrong on my trip?

Unfortunately not. There are limits and exclusions to all travel insurance policies, so we strongly advise you to read our product disclosure statement (or search [ctrl+F] for key words to check limits and exclusions) to see if our product is right for you.

Obviously emergency medical transportation is needed. I wouldn't care about reimbursement for shore excursions that are cancelled - the cruise line will refund these.

The list you mention has a couple of cruise specific items - missed port and cabin confinement for medical reasons. We have missed a few ports on our cruises because of bad weather, but (thankfully) have never been confined to our cabin.

It is a matter of comparing policies with different companies and considering the price of each.

The main event we insure against is the cost of medical evacuation. I suppose a secondary one would be lost luggage, then medical expenses on board.

As well as all mentioned in above posts just make sure any policy you buy has cover for deposit paid if your trip has to be cancelled for unforeseen circumstances. Depending on the length of cruise some of the deposits can be substantial.

We haven't had to claim for a cruise (we have been using insure and go). I tried to claim for a changed trip within Australia due to my mother dying earlier than expected (I had just been to see her and had another trip back planned in 10 days to look at nursing homes for her) but was told that as her breast cancer was a preexisting condition that I couldn't claim. I hadnt' realised that pre existing conditions applied to those other than those named on the policy but it does. I now warn other people because I think it is easy to miss even though it is stated in the t&cs

I had to make a claim on southern cross for cancellation after my own diagnosis of breast cancer. They claimed it was pre exisitng and initially refused to pay out. It was a long hard battle to finally get it sorted, but I would never ever consider using them again, however some have used and claimed without issue as Railsgrant has.

We haven't had to claim for a cruise (we have been using insure and go). I tried to claim for a changed trip within Australia due to my mother dying earlier than expected (I had just been to see her and had another trip back planned in 10 days to look at nursing homes for her) but was told that as her breast cancer was a preexisting condition that I couldn't claim. I hadnt' realised that pre existing conditions applied to those other than those named on the policy but it does. I now warn other people because I think it is easy to miss even though it is stated in the t&cs

Also most policies will not cover if the relative is over 84 years old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Insure and go have just paid out our claim for missed port, Airlie beach, due to cyclone. We've never needed to claim before so not sure how good they would be for a more complicated claim, such as medical etc.

Insure and go have just paid out our claim for missed port, Airlie beach, due to cyclone. We've never needed to claim before so not sure how good they would be for a more complicated claim, such as medical etc.

We claimed with Insure and Go for medical a couple of years ago and they were fairly quick and efficient in settling the claim.

Leigh

We had insurance with Insureandgo for our trip to the USA earlier this year. I managed to break my leg at Disneyland and received treatment at a hospital in Anaheim. I had no trouble getting the medical expenses refunded. The only problem we had was contacting them on the number they provided for calling from outside Australia. My husband tried on a number of phones but he couldn't get through. I ended up emailing them.