Singles Cruises -- How To Decide?

Michael1973

I'm giving some thought to trying a singles cruise in the near future, but I'm going a little crazy trying to determine the best one. There are many things to consider, among them the time frame and the average age range of the other travelers.

First, can someone confirm for me that an "all ages" cruise tends to be mostly ages 50+? I saw that somewhere on this board. I'll be 42 this year, and would prefer not to be the youngest person in the group. This of course will limit my options considerably.

I'm also wondering about the time frame. I'm leaning towards doing something in the Caribbean. I found one with an itinerary that I liked, but it's in August and I can't see doing a tropical vacation when it's warm and sunny at home. At the same time, next winter seems like an eternity away!

My problem is, I feel like I'm being too picky, but I want to get the maximum enjoyment out of the experience. The idea of the singles cruise is very appealing to me, but it seems like each one I look at has at least one thing about it that I don't like.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I have been on 2 singles cruises. The first one was in July out of New Orleans and it was hot, but I liked it hot, being from the northwest it was a nice change. This cruise was an over 40 cruise and most of us were 40-55, a couple people under forty and only a few over 55.

Second singles cruise was at Halloween out of New Jersey, an all ages cruise. Ages ranged from early 20's to 60's. I was on this cruise with my early 20's daughter and she had several people in there 20's to mingle with. I believe the majority in the group were 35-50. This was a great cruise, Halloween really added to the fun.

My daughter and I will be on another cruise out of California this Halloween on Princess Ruby. Expecting it to be a nice mix of ages as was our previous Halloween cruise.

I believe you will find a range of ages on most all ages single cruises, but since people over 40 are more apt to be able to afford the cruise and to be able to get the time off it is likely more of them could be sailing.

There is almost always more women than men, so your chance of more women your age or younger is pretty good.

Thanks for this information. I'm guessing that the Halloween cruises have themed activities? I'm not really into that, but that wouldn't deter me from trying it. Can you tell me what sorts of on-board activities they had, Halloween related and otherwise?

Another thing that's making it hard to decide is the itinerary. The summer cruise makes 4 stops, one of them being a place I've already been to twice. Whereas the fall cruise only makes 3, and again one is a repeat location for me. But I really can't get excited about going to the Caribbean in the summer. I'm in the northeast, and we only get about 5 months of really good weather here. So why would I want to be away during any of it?

I'm still weighing my options. But I'm feeling better about the all ages options now. Thanks again.

If I could justify a R/T flight to San Juan. I would be on Celebrity Dec 5-12. Six islands in 7 days for under $700.00! Have only cruised Celebrity once on a Baltic cruise and I enjoyed the ship and the itinerary.

Halloween is a great time to escape Northwest weather. On our Halloween cruise there was a costume party on Halloween night with a costume contest for just the singles group. There was also battle of the sexes trivia, a social cocktail party with free (weak) drinks, another game night (I can't really remember what it entailed) and karaoke. The group dinner was one of the best things about being part of a singles group, lots of people to visit with. I suggest changing your table each night to get to know more people in the group.

I am really glad that Halloween is on a sea day on our upcoming cruise as it gives more time to prepare our costumes for the celebration. You don't have to dress up if you don't want to, but I personally wouldn't miss donning a costume. This year I will be sailing with my sister and two of our daughters; a chance to do a group costume!

Take a chance, make a decision, and cruise with other singles! Who cares how old or young the other sailors are, make the most of what presents itself and you will have a good time. After all, it's a cruise, how bad can it be?

• 1 month later...

I don't want to Hijack post, but I have a question also, I will be turning 50 this year and thinking of doing singles cruise with a 40 and over group. I am very active, love to dance, stay up late and have a good time will a 40 and over crowd be more sedate or like me?

I have been on seven hosted singles cruises.

The group mimics the regular people not in the singles group

on the cruise.

If you are so inclined, have a room mate.

This gives you someone to bond with immediality and hang out with.

Buy I'm a guy, woman might have differing opinions.

I'm giving some thought to trying a singles cruise in the near future, but I'm going a little crazy trying to determine the best one. There are many things to consider, among them the time frame and the average age range of the other travelers.

First, can someone confirm for me that an "all ages" cruise tends to be mostly ages 50+? I saw that somewhere on this board. I'll be 42 this year, and would prefer not to be the youngest person in the group. This of course will limit my options considerably.

I'm also wondering about the time frame. I'm leaning towards doing something in the Caribbean. I found one with an itinerary that I liked, but it's in August and I can't see doing a tropical vacation when it's warm and sunny at home. At the same time, next winter seems like an eternity away!

My problem is, I feel like I'm being too picky, but I want to get the maximum enjoyment out of the experience. The idea of the singles cruise is very appealing to me, but it seems like each one I look at has at least one thing about it that I don't like.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I've been on 3 singles cruises. Hopefully you've been looking at both companies.

If age is a factor for you both companies are doing a 20's-40-s cruise in March. One on NCL and the other on Carnival. NCL is offering a "free" promo item if you book before July 31st, the promo item depends on your cabin class. I have only done 1 all ages and it was 2 years ago for Halloween and the big glut of people fall between 30-60 so you should be good there.

As far as activities go both companies will have 3 theme nights/cocktail parties where you can get free drinks for @ an hour. Both companies will have dining options were you can sit with the group, and usually there is a group of singles that will throw 1, usually 2 Jell-O shot parties. In addition both companies usually arrange group excursions. One company has official pre-cruise party while the other does not.

Once you've been on one you'll quit planning cruises around itinerary and start planning them around who you know is booking what cruises. At least that's how I am.

My recommendation, if you want to do Halloween do the Carnival Conquest out of FLL, I know a lot of my cruise buddies already booked on it. June 16th it was reported 213 booked; 82 men, 131 women; 20s: 9, 30s: 37, 40s: 56, 50's: 68, 60s: 31, 70's: 9, 80's: 4. If you want to do age specific then do the 20s-40's on NCL Getaway in March out of MIA. 130 booked; 57 men, 73 ladies.

Those are two different companies so you'll have to go to different sites to see them.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been on 3 singles cruises. Hopefully you've been looking at both companies.

If age is a factor for you both companies are doing a 20's-40-s cruise in March. One on NCL and the other on Carnival. NCL is offering a "free" promo item if you book before July 31st, the promo item depends on your cabin class. I have only done 1 all ages and it was 2 years ago for Halloween and the big glut of people fall between 30-60 so you should be good there.

As far as activities go both companies will have 3 theme nights/cocktail parties where you can get free drinks for @ an hour. Both companies will have dining options were you can sit with the group, and usually there is a group of singles that will throw 1, usually 2 Jell-O shot parties. In addition both companies usually arrange group excursions. One company has official pre-cruise party while the other does not.

Once you've been on one you'll quit planning cruises around itinerary and start planning them around who you know is booking what cruises. At least that's how I am.

My recommendation, if you want to do Halloween do the Carnival Conquest out of FLL, I know a lot of my cruise buddies already booked on it. June 16th it was reported 213 booked; 82 men, 131 women; 20s: 9, 30s: 37, 40s: 56, 50's: 68, 60s: 31, 70's: 9, 80's: 4. If you want to do age specific then do the 20s-40's on NCL Getaway in March out of MIA. 130 booked; 57 men, 73 ladies.

Those are two different companies so you'll have to go to different sites to see them.

Hi WSC. I was really lost searching the net, until someone on reddit pointed me here. Obviously landed in the right spot. Where are you getting all of the cruise info and metrics?

I'm already booked Halloween and in March, but I'd love to find a 20s-40s cruise, and would be thrilled to be able to see the breakdowns of those already going. Don't want to hijack the thread either, but want to book and go on a cruise soon. I'll try to keep reading these forums--looks like a lot of info to digest which makes me hesitant to start a new thread until I've done more reading. Since I've never been on a cruise, I feel like there's an enormous amount of room for rookie mistakes. I don't want to get caught up researching endlessly and never booking though...

Hi WSC. I was really lost searching the net, until someone on reddit pointed me here. Obviously landed in the right spot. Where are you getting all of the cruise info and metrics?

I'm already booked Halloween and in March, but I'd love to find a 20s-40s cruise, and would be thrilled to be able to see the breakdowns of those already going. Don't want to hijack the thread either, but want to book and go on a cruise soon. I'll try to keep reading these forums--looks like a lot of info to digest which makes me hesitant to start a new thread until I've done more reading. Since I've never been on a cruise, I feel like there's an enormous amount of room for rookie mistakes. I don't want to get caught up researching endlessly and never booking though...

There are two ways to get the metrics on the cruises:

1. On FB there are pages for the companies and cruisers create unofficial pages where they report the booking numbers.

2. If you call or e-mail the respective company they will usually provide you with the current metrics of a trip which are the number booked, men to woman ratio and age ranges.

Its not a singles cruise. It is a group of singles on a regular cruise. There are 2 places I know of that organize these groups but, unfortunately, we are not allowed to name travel agencies on this site. Maybe if you googled singles cruise, that would help.

I have been all over the Carnival website and cant find anything about a singles cruise. What am I missing?

Not allowed to mention agency names on cruise critic. Good luck finding singles at sea or singles cruise.

(Hint: take out spaces from those last two things I mentioned and add .com)

• 1 year later...

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I was an overthinker too, Michael. Then a friend said "OMgosh, just try it. You'll be cruising so it can't be all bad." That was for my first solo. I connected with a FB group so kind of sort of knew a few people going in and I had a blast. That turned out so well, I'm booking my first singles cruise.

You might be surprised how much fun you can have with an "older" woman of 50, who can dance, has some life experience and probably stays up late.

Wish you well!

I don't want to Hijack post, but I have a question also, I will be turning 50 this year and thinking of doing singles cruise with a 40 and over group. I am very active, love to dance, stay up late and have a good time will a 40 and over crowd be more sedate or like me?

I also love to dance, stay up late and have a good time...piano bar, comedy club, night cap on the balcony...and I'm quite a bit older than you. Age is just a number and no one who knows me would ever call me sedate.

I have been on seven hosted singles cruises.

The group mimics the regular people not in the singles group

on the cruise.

If you are so inclined, have a room mate.

This gives you someone to bond with immediality and hang out with.

Buy I'm a guy, woman might have differing opinions.

I'm a gal and my opinion is very similar with one tiny exception: try it without a roommate. Being truly solo may provide the incentive needed to take full advantage of a singles sailing.

Nice to hear you've done and (must) enjoy singles sailings....I'm off on my first this Halloween.

Yamaha, Southwest now serves San Juan. Check out rates. My one singles cruise was on Solstice when it was new. Had a roommate they supplied also from FL. Had a great time. It was over 40 cruise. Guys not too exciting. I would say ladies to men ratio was 3 to1 .Cannot beat Celebrity.

If I could justify a R/T flight to San Juan. I would be on Celebrity Dec 5-12. Six islands in 7 days for under $700.00! Have only cruised Celebrity once on a Baltic cruise and I enjoyed the ship and the itinerary.

Unless you count SJ, I can't find a six-island cruise on Celebrity (or a Dec 5th departure), but I'd like to check it out...can you provide more details?

Thanks!