Embassy Suites/Lofts +walking to port??

riffatsea

Hi,

I've been reading lots of old threads and see no mention at all of this hotel?

Supposedly it is a newer section attached to the older Embassy Suites. The location looks quite good and the reviews of this newer Loft section look better than the ones about the original Embassy Suites. Since they offer a cooked bkfst and upgraded cocktails and hors douerves(SP?) we thought it would be a good place to spend a weekend before our Triumph cruise in December.

My original price at the old Embassy Suites was $134 and I used pts. to upgrade to the Lofts.

IF you guys think this is a terrible idea I will look around more as it is all cancelable???

The other part of my question is about getting to the port. IF it is nice out I thought we could walk but I see most of the posts about walking are for using the Julia St. Terminal. It looks like Carnival is now using Erato St. which is past Julia St. and so I don't know if you can walk through one to get to the other???

I understand about going to the elevator outside the mall to get down to the entrance level of the port but that is Julia St.

Can we get onto a streetcar at Julia St and take it one stop to the John Churchill Chase stop at the port??

Thanks for any advice!!

Edited by riffatsea

I stayed in one of the embassy suites lofts in 2009 and loved it. I had a stairwell/hallway that was only shared with one other room. Nice living room/kitchen and bedroom. Their free breakfast was the best I've ever seen. It was huge. They had everything. You could get cooked to order omelets if you wanted. If you stay there let me know if it's still as good as it used to be...it's been so long since I stayed there.

Thanks for answering!

I see you are the resident Hotwire expert!

I can get the Riverside Hilton for $88 less for my dates on Hotwire(total difference for 2 nights).

Not sure I want to change as it may end up the same with the price of breakfasts and alcohol added in.

Wondering though about the walk to the pier. It is just about the same as going from the Hilton but I am still confused as to the Juilia Port and Erato Port issue??

Any thoughts about that??

Thanks for answering!

I see you are the resident Hotwire expert!

I can get the Riverside Hilton for $88 less for my dates on Hotwire(total difference for 2 nights).

Not sure I want to change as it may end up the same with the price of breakfasts and alcohol added in.

Wondering though about the walk to the pier. It is just about the same as going from the Hilton but I am still confused as to the Juilia Port and Erato Port issue??

Any thoughts about that??

I'm not the best to comment on walking to the port because I've never done it. I park at Fulton and take the shuttle. I have read about it either in this forum or the gulf coast departures forum. I know in Riverside you can go into the mall, walk to the end, and get to the port. I believe it depends on which cruise line and ship you're going to as to how easy it is to get to the terminal. That end of the mall is at Julia street which I believe is across the street from Embassy Suites so I think just walking across the street vs. walking from one end of the mall to the other would be the only walking difference.

Thanks , just hard to see from Google earth and the map of the mall where the steps and elevator might actually be located. I guess I'll take a walk and sort of scope out the area before we decide what we are doing.

IF it is rainy we will for sure take a cab or uber car!!

It is a fairly easy walk if you are not hauling a lot of luggage, and quicker than a cab/Uber.

When you leave the hotel, take a left on Julia Street (the hotel is on Julia) and you will see a walkway leading to Riverwalk Outlet Mall. Take the escalator of the elevator to Riverwalk. Walk straight across and you will see double doors. They lead to a covered walkway on your right. The walkway leads to stairs that will take you back to ground level, and you are at the Erato Street terminal.

The Chase station is only for the Convention Center. You can't get to the terminal from there.

The whole walk will be about six blocks from the hotel to the terminal, and about half of that will be under cover.

• 4 weeks later...

Whenever we stay in NO, whether it's for a cruise or whatever, we ALWAYS stay at the Embassy. And yes we ALWAYS walk to the port...it's a quick ten minutes on foot. Not bad traffic or anything! It's a wonderful idea...nice full breakfast followed by a brisk walk to the port. Not to mention the free drinks and appetizers the evening before!

Thanks bolin!

We are happy with our choice too!

Booking on Hotwire, the Riverside(which everyone talks about) would only save us $44 per day and we figure bkfst, drinks and apps could easily come to that so no real savings for us.

We are Hilton members and for their hotels I really prefer booking on their web site too so all in all looking forward to our stay!:p:cool:

• 4 months later...
Thanks bolin!

We are happy with our choice too!

Booking on Hotwire, the Riverside(which everyone talks about) would only save us $44 per day and we figure bkfst, drinks and apps could easily come to that so no real savings for us.

We are Hilton members and for their hotels I really prefer booking on their web site too so all in all looking forward to our stay!:p:cool:

I am hoping you will check in here and let me know how the walk to the port was. We are staying at Embassy Suites in Feb. before our Triumph cruise and I want to just walk, but sure hoping it is as easy as it sounds to do.

Edited by tootsiebit

• 2 weeks later...
Since they offer a cooked bkfst and upgraded cocktails and hors douerves(SP?) we thought it would be a good place to spend a weekend before our Triumph cruise in December.

My original price at the old Embassy Suites was $134 and I used pts. to upgrade to the Lofts.

I wanted to note that cooked to order breakfast and evening reception is a perk for all guests, not just loft guests.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

I've been reading lots of old threads and see no mention at all of this hotel?

Supposedly it is a newer section attached to the older Embassy Suites. The location looks quite good and the reviews of this newer Loft section look better than the ones about the original Embassy Suites. Since they offer a cooked bkfst and upgraded cocktails and hors douerves(SP?) we thought it would be a good place to spend a weekend before our Triumph cruise in December.

IF you guys think this is a terrible idea I will look around more as it is all cancelable???

The other part of my question is about getting to the port. IF it is nice out I thought we could walk but I see most of the posts about walking are for using the Julia St. Terminal. It looks like Carnival is now using Erato St. which is past Julia St. and so I don't know if you can walk through one to get to the other???

I understand about going to the elevator outside the mall to get down to the entrance level of the port but that is Julia St.

Can we get onto a streetcar at Julia St and take it one stop to the John Churchill Chase stop at the port??

Thanks for any advice!!

Hi riffatsea; how was your cruise and stay at the Embassy Suites? Thinking of booking it for May. Like the idea about their cocktail hour and breakfast. How was the work to the terminal?? Thanks for the info.

Saint Greg - I don't know if this was asked already but I am thinking about the Embassy Suites on Julia St. and was wondering how many blocks would you say it is to walk io the Erato St. Cruise Terminal? Thanks for you info and help.

Saint Greg - I don't know if this was asked already but I am thinking about the Embassy Suites on Julia St. and was wondering how many blocks would you say it is to walk io the Erato St. Cruise Terminal? Thanks for you info and help.

It's 2 blocks to the riverwalk mall parking lot. If you see that tunnel looking thing..that's an escalator that takes you to the 2nd floor of the mall. That's where people who walk through the mall from Hilton riverside end up. Then go out the doors on the Riverside of the mall and I believe down some steps to get to the port.

ae9ca4068a583bf82500995225eb99b3.jpg

If you take that escalator into the mall, there's an elevator on the left with this sign

acea76aab3a99b7844f9c87dbf01bb44.jpg

Edited by Saint Greg

This angle probably gives you a better idea of the distance between the hotel and the ship.

69b1c932f4969aed26ca6a00958a0259.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you sooo much Saint Greg. You are truly a saint in my book for these boards and helping so many people out and replying so fast. It really is pretty close by and thanks for the maps and the layout. This really helps me decide.... :):):)

Edited by Mary49

Thank you for all the photos. We have a large party leaving on Sunday and are staying here as well. I am still trying to decide if it's worth it to rent transportation for us all or just walk. Would save some $$ that could instead pay for more martinis!

Just make sure you go through that mall if you do walk. That building with all those white roofs is the convention center. If you don't go through the mall you'd have to walk all the way around the convention center...it's a very big convention center!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's quite tempting, as we have 9 couples. We wanted to all get there at the same time - and not in a bunch of taxis/Uber so I checked into limo/shuttle rental which can be pricey for that many people. I think I'd feel silly if it was really just a few blocks. I remember seeing a lot of people walking to port when we left from Vancouver from hotels in that area....

Saint Greg - Just a quick question, I'm going solo and I was wondering if it is pretty safe to walk it by yourself. Thanks again.

For the most part yeah. It depends on where and when you're walking. During the daytime I'd say you're good. If you're walking around downtown-french quarter at night I try to stay on well populated streets as much as possible. Poydras, St. Charles, Canal, Royal, Bourbon, Decatur