Princess Copper River Lodge to Chitina

janhtx

We'd like to take the flight to McCarthy/Kennicott to maximize time there and minimize time driving. Princess is not offering an excursions with air transportation only driving. So I am looking into flying from Chitina. It may be in a thread somewhere but I haven't found a suggestion for getting from the lodge to Chitina.

Anybody done this? Not done it but know how? I just emailed the air provider this evening earlier but thought I'd check in here as well.

thanks

We ran into this last year. Potential guests for the day flight see and tour to McCarthy and Kennicott were either "sold out" or not listed. I got hold of my friends at Wrangell Mountain Air which runs that shuttle and have done so for years----- they said it is confusing with Princess as they don't start booking that tour until late in the winter after they have their excursion book published for that area.

I really don't understand this, if you have seen the Princess shore excursions and only the van tour is listed? But I'm pretty certain this season will be no different, the thing to do is contact Wrangell Air and check this out directly. Disregard if you have already done so. Last year they were able to put guests on the list for the Princess tour before Princess was booking them.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=Wrangell%20Mountain%20Air

http://www.wrangellmountainair.com/

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2142971

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2263123

We are in process of booking a charter with Wrangell departing Copper Center 9:15 and then with SEAG a private 1/2 day glacier hike (a tiny bit abbreviated) and the town tour at 3:30. Departing McCarthey at 7:30. I'm willing to bet we aren't paying a ton more than a Princess excursion would cost.

Now all I have to do is get us from the lodge to the Copper Center airport (strip) and back at the end of a long day. And maybe look into to dinner choices in Kennecott or McCarthy.

Very exciting. I first got interested in McCarthy/Kennecott after reading posts from you and Budget Queen. And then I started my own research. So thanks!

Oh good for you. Wise choices. Saint Elias Guides are the best. Don't tell them I said that though it might go to their heads, LOL. From the Princess Lodge over and back from the Copper Center runway, should not be much of a big deal. Good exercise if nothing else, (just kidding).

Keep asking questions and you get a good answer for that one, I'm sure. I really hope you folks have good weather and enjoy your visit to "God's Country".

• 1 month later...
We are in process of booking a charter with Wrangell departing Copper Center 9:15 and then with SEAG a private 1/2 day glacier hike (a tiny bit abbreviated) and the town tour at 3:30. Departing McCarthey at 7:30. I'm willing to bet we aren't paying a ton more than a Princess excursion would cost.

Now all I have to do is get us from the lodge to the Copper Center airport (strip) and back at the end of a long day. And maybe look into to dinner choices in Kennecott or McCarthy.

Very exciting. I first got interested in McCarthy/Kennecott after reading posts from you and Budget Queen. And then I started my own research. So thanks!

This looks like an amazing trip. We would love to do it also but haven't found a way to the airport from the lodge. Did you find a way to make this day trip happen?

No transportation from Princess lodge to Copper Center airstrip yet. It's only a mile or so but after long day...

I am going to call lodge tomorrow. It opens for the season midweek so I assume someone will be answering the phones.

Update: I called the lodge directly. We are leaving too early and arriving too late to use the shuttle that runs around Copper Center, which would have been an option. However for the same price per person, $5, there will be a driver and car to take and pick up. Yay. That was the last of the festering little worries. I am so stoked!

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome! I didn't realize that Wrangell Mountain Air flew into Copper Center. We were looking at Chitina as the airport we need to use based on the Wrangell Mountain Air website. Chitina is probably an hour from the lodge but Copper Center would be much closer for a flight. Have a great trip!

We are back. This was the highlight of the entire trip. A driver took us from the Lodge to the airstrip we waited about 5-10 minutes and here came a plane. Two people and the pilot got off, turns out the pilot and one of the passengers are the new owners they've owned Copper Valley air for years. A van took the two passengers somewhere to get another plane. We hopped in and off we went. Gorgeous scenery. Martin the pilot got us close enough to the Crystilin (?) mountains to look down on mountain goats! Day was mild, almost warm, when we left it was raining and colder in McCarthy. Wrangell took us into Kennecot to the St. Elias Alpine Guides office. There we met Johnny our guide and got fitted for crampons. We stopped at Kennecot Glacier Lodge and picked up the sack lunches I'd ordered the night before. One of our group has some mobility issues so we took it very slowly on the hike out to Root Glacier. In fact we took so long we had only 20-30 minutes on the glacier, but what time we had was fabulous. Still drizzly and cold but that just added to the atmosphere. One reason we only had a short time on the glacier was my desire to get to the 3:30 Historic Mill Tour. I really, really wanted to do that. We ended up catching it a few minutes after it started and two of us went through the entire rest of the tour. It was fascinating. St. Elias took us back to Wrangell. The flight back was even more spectacular. We got close enough to one of the old mine bunkhouses perched way up on the edge of a peak to see it pretty well. Called the lodge when we landed, driver was there in about 10 minutes. Fabulous, memorable day.

• 2 weeks later...
We are back. This was the highlight of the entire trip. A driver took us from the Lodge to the airstrip we waited about 5-10 minutes and here came a plane. Two people and the pilot got off, turns out the pilot and one of the passengers are the new owners they've owned Copper Valley air for years. A van took the two passengers somewhere to get another plane. We hopped in and off we went. Gorgeous scenery. Martin the pilot got us close enough to the Crystilin (?) mountains to look down on mountain goats! Day was mild, almost warm, when we left it was raining and colder in McCarthy. Wrangell took us into Kennecot to the St. Elias Alpine Guides office. There we met Johnny our guide and got fitted for crampons. We stopped at Kennecot Glacier Lodge and picked up the sack lunches I'd ordered the night before. One of our group has some mobility issues so we took it very slowly on the hike out to Root Glacier. In fact we took so long we had only 20-30 minutes on the glacier, but what time we had was fabulous. Still drizzly and cold but that just added to the atmosphere. One reason we only had a short time on the glacier was my desire to get to the 3:30 Historic Mill Tour. I really, really wanted to do that. We ended up catching it a few minutes after it started and two of us went through the entire rest of the tour. It was fascinating. St. Elias took us back to Wrangell. The flight back was even more spectacular. We got close enough to one of the old mine bunkhouses perched way up on the edge of a peak to see it pretty well. Called the lodge when we landed, driver was there in about 10 minutes. Fabulous, memorable day.

Sure good to hear that you enjoyed your visit. Sorry about the bum weather. I just got back into Anchorage yesterday from McCarthy. I will head out again in a couple of days. I first went there over two weeks ago. Weather has been off and on, some days pretty warm others a little chilly, however, it has been dry for the most part, to the point we have fire concerns. We had three almost 90 degree days in a row a week and a half ago, cabin didn't cool down until three or so in the morning.

About a week ago I was driving my four wheeler by the Kennicott/McCarthy museum and heard somebody yell my name. I'm a member of the board there. Guess what, it was "Budget Queen"--she had just flown in via 4th of July pass and the Erie Mine bunkhouse ( which you saw too) with Wrangell Air. She had her nephew with her. I've talked to her and written to her now for a couple of decades. Sure glad to meet her and have a chance to chat. She does more than anybody I know keeping future visitors advised on travel experiences and opportunities up here.

On my way out yesterday I stopped by the Princess Lodge at Copper Center for lunch, excellent meal. When there I picked up a copy the Princess "Optional Land Excursion" booklet. Sure enough, the fly in excursion via Wrangell Air to McCarthy and Kennecott has been dropped. Don't know why, but as you mentioned Wrangell Air has just changed hands, Kelly and Natalie Bay have decided to retire after many years running the company. Martin and his family are the principal investors, Martin has flown for Wrangell Air for around 15 years, he is also an aircraft mechanic. He bought out Copper Valley Air over a year ago as well. Gary Green (McCarthy Air) also decided to retire so the combine took over his office building in downtown McCarthy.

I'll find out what the deal is when I get back out and have a chance to talk with Martin. Meantime, it sound like you and Budget Queen did the same, made independent arrangements with Wrangell Air and it worked out pretty well for both of you.

Sure good to hear that you enjoyed your visit. Sorry about the bum weather. I just got back into Anchorage yesterday from McCarthy. I will head out again in a couple of days. I first went there over two weeks ago. Weather has been off and on, some days pretty warm others a little chilly, however, it has been dry for the most part, to the point we have fire concerns. We had three almost 90 degree days in a row a week and a half ago, cabin didn't cool down until three or so in the morning.

About a week ago I was driving my four wheeler by the Kennicott/McCarthy museum and heard somebody yell my name. I'm a member of the board there. Guess what, it was "Budget Queen"--she had just flown in via 4th of July pass and the Erie Mine bunkhouse ( which you saw too) with Wrangell Air. She had her nephew with her. I've talked to her and written to her now for a couple of decades. Sure glad to meet her and have a chance to chat. She does more than anybody I know keeping future visitors advised on travel experiences and opportunities up here.

On my way out yesterday I stopped by the Princess Lodge at Copper Center for lunch, excellent meal. When there I picked up a copy the Princess "Optional Land Excursion" booklet. Sure enough, the fly in excursion via Wrangell Air to McCarthy and Kennecott has been dropped. Don't know why, but as you mentioned Wrangell Air has just changed hands, Kelly and Natalie Bay have decided to retire after many years running the company. Martin and his family are the principal investors, Martin has flown for Wrangell Air for around 15 years, he is also an aircraft mechanic. He bought out Copper Valley Air over a year ago as well. Gary Green (McCarthy Air) also decided to retire so the combine took over his office building in downtown McCarthy.

I'll find out what the deal is when I get back out and have a chance to talk with Martin. Meantime, it sound like you and Budget Queen did the same, made independent arrangements with Wrangell Air and it worked out pretty well for both of you.

What a thrill to have finally met you. :) We had "passed by" so many other times, always missing each other.

I'm so glad this poster was successful, AND resourceful in figuring out an excellent option to include this paradise. :) :) :) I can only hope it's an inspiration for others, to "break free" and consider this. Flying is absolutely my preference, after a combo trip a few years ago of flying/road and round trip road??? Yikes, far from ideal, unless you're going to be there for days. I never would consider using up a day trip's time on that road. :)

I also have to give a strong recommendation for the St Elias Mountain guided Mine tour, which I had not done before. It was absolutely a highlight of the visit and so loaded with history, along with an engineering marvel.