11:30AM Flight at YVR

beachluvr17

Hi Everyone,

I just got an email from United that they changed my 1:00pm flight home to 11:30am! I thought I would have plenty of time to get to the airport, but now I'm nervous. I checked if there was a later flight or to fly the next day, but it seems they changed all of their direct flights to 11:30am. I've never cruised before, so I'm clueless about the disembarking process. I have Global Entry/ Precheck. Should I be worried?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Everyone,

I just got an email from United that they changed my 1:00pm flight home to 11:30am! I thought I would have plenty of time to get to the airport, but now I'm nervous. I checked if there was a later flight or to fly the next day, but it seems they changed all of their direct flights to 11:30am. I've never cruised before, so I'm clueless about the disembarking process. I have Global Entry/ Precheck. Should I be worried?

Just be in one of the first groups to disembark and you should be fine..taxi's will be lined up.

I disembarked May 5 but had been through Canadian customs in Victoria. I did self disembark at 7:55am, walked about 1 block to Canada Line station, a train was just leaving for airport (YVR). I have to transfer and ride a bus and was home by 9. Would have been at airport by 8:45. So if you get in the first or second walk off group and take your own luggage you should be fine. I always travel carry on only so that makes it easier. Sept 2 is a Saturday so traffic shouldn't be as bad if you choose another mode of transportation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Two ships in port (Coral Princess & Niuew Amsterdam) so it's not as bad as it could be, but I second the above poster - if you want to ensure all goes as smoothly as possible, self-disembarkation is definitely the way to go. My wife walks to work and has never failed to be at her desk by 8am the day we arrive - first Princess self-disembark slot has been as early as 7:15am on our cruises - so getting to YVR even before 9am is very possible, as long as you are ready to go.

Your GE will help at the airport - it'll get you in the short security line and also priority for US immigration, which happens here before boarding any US flight. Pre-noon isn't recommended by anyone local, because of the extra time required at YVR to see CBP staff, and you genrally cannot get cruiseline transfers for flights before noon at the earliest unlike at US cruiseports. recommend time pre-flight is 3 hours - but with GE I would personally be comfortable arriving only an hour early, though as first-timers 90mins would probably make you more comfortable.

If you cannot handle all your own bags, then things get tighter - even if you're in the very first regular disembarkation group almost all of the Self-D people are already off from both ships and have taken the cabs. SkyTrain is impossible for you if you cannot manage our bags yourself, so your only real backup involves spending money - book a limo, so you know there will be a car 'with your name on' available when you get off.

11:30 AM is tighter then I prefer at that airport because the need to check in, drop luggage off, go through security, USA immigration.

If you are not good with stress I would find an alternative flight.

If you are OK with stress then I would want to be in the first group off the ship if that is possible.

Yes, better that there are two ships versus three but it can be a chaotic port.

Keith

• 1 month later...
Hi Everyone,

I really think you will be ok- i was worried so i scheduled my flight out of YVR for 1pm also but i ended up at the airport by 10 and i was wishing i had made it earlier.

I can't reply to the 'can I make this flight time"....but I WILL say....

The absolute MOST FRUSTRATING part of planning our Alaskan cruise has been flights...choosing one that fit our needs, purchasing it...then having it changed and having to make phone calls to find something else that worked...even having to cancel a flight (they cancelled it with refund thank goodness) and having to go back to the drawing board to find another flight...and of course, paying more for that one. In our 2 one-way flights, we've had FOUR changes!!!

It's been the biggest fiasco. I"m sure Alaska will be worth it...but I've had moments of doubt on that .... UGH UGH!!!

I use self walk off and have Global Entry and have never had a problem in YVR.

In fact I choose the United flight because it gets me home the same day. Last year I think the departure time was 11:55 am (seems to change a lot depending on the time of year) and I spent more than 2 hours at the gate waiting to board. :)

Throwing something else into the mix

Last few times thru Vancouver we've had issues with their version of TSA.

DH got stuck because of the extra plastic button sewn into the pocket of his Dockers. Another time they didn't like the square metal clip ship magnet in my carryon.