FYI: TSA not accepting some states driver's licenses-effective Jan.1, '18

nelblu

Per AARP:

Starting next year, TSA cannot accept some state driver’s licenses that don’t meet acceptable security standards.

Travelers, don’t say we didn’t warn you. Beginning in January 2018, driver’s licenses from some states may be rejected as a form of identification for boarding an aircraft.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA), while gradually implementing the REAL ID Act passed by Congress in 2005, has announced that starting next year it cannot accept some state driver’s licenses that don’t meet acceptable security standards.

Residents of nine states — Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Washington — may need to use a passport or some other government-approved identification unless their driver’s licenses are changed by next year. Other states have been granted extensions while they prepare to comply with the requirement.

Signs have been placed near checkpoints in some airports to notify passengers of the changing requirements.

“This doesn’t mean that people will be told, ‘Hey, you can’t fly,’” a TSA spokesman said on Wednesday. “You’ll just have to have another form of ID.”

Some states have raised privacy concerns, saying the ID requirements may produce information on individuals that can be compiled in a national database. “This is a game of intimidation being played out between Congress and the federal government and state governments, with ordinary citizens being squeezed in the middle,” Edward Hasbrouck of the Identity Project, a privacy advocate, told the New York Times in December.

The REAL ID Act was based on recommendations of the 9/11 Commission to guard against terrorist attacks. Proponents say more stringent IDs may also ward off fraud and identity theft.

I believe that is correct, at least there was an article in the paper this last week that CA got an extension to 2020.

Just another reason to get a passport.

As a side note the "approved" DL's allow access to the FAST lanes crossing from Mexico into USA.

I believe that is correct, at least there was an article in the paper this last week that CA got an extension to 2020.

Just another reason to get a passport.

And a passport card.:)

True, but I believe the "enhanced" DL will take the place of the passport card so no reason to have two documents.

Unless you are on your way to the airport, get a speeding ticket, and they take your license away like they sometimes do in Illinois.

This has been delayed for some time to allow all the states to comply. I believe there are 5 states that have to do it, usually when your license is renewed.

Delaware was a mess. They would not accept my passport book as legal ID........What the ####?

Good luck folks.........it's up to the states to put that star on your license.

The Peoples Republic of Maryland allows illegal immigrants to get driver's licenses, so those are pretty much worthless for any form of identification.

So does CA, so I guess they will have to issue two types come 2020. The article was pointing out how much money it was going to cost the State to switch. Any guess whose gonna pay that?

I believe there are 5 states that have to do it, usually when your license is renewed.

Actually there are only a few States that currently comply. I think the number five is those that do.

The enhanced DL's will have RFID chips.

OH, I got an idea how about RCCL let us use those RFID chipped DL's in place of SetSail Passes? I am liking this idea.

The Missouri legislature passed a bill last week which, if signed by the Governor will require the state to issue real ID compliant licenses to those who want them. It will take two years to get the system in place; the federal government has reportedly agreed to another two year waiver for MO residents of the bill is signed o to law.

"Starting May 15, South Carolinians can start applying for driver’s licenses that can be used to board flights and enter secure federal buildings and military bases. When the new licenses become available, you can order them online. This step is voluntary." -- see below

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/south-carolina-rolling-out-new-driver-s-licenses-to-meet/article_1e27e532-2e95-11e7-9334-cfb0fa71b8df.html

The Peoples Republic of Maryland allows illegal immigrants to get driver's licenses, so those are pretty much worthless for any form of identification.
No longer live in MD. Agree with your "People's Republican of Maryland" -- I also used "People's Republican of Montgomery County." I like SC much better.

Well Delaware thinks they comply, I was just on their website. I/we are federally approved without a reader??

The process started in 2010 and also says that they will never ask for multiple IDS again unless you change your name etc. The new licenses have a star on them and they put me through hell to get it. BTW my passport should have been accepted, I probably had a fired Royal rep who knew nothing.

Greetings from the Diamond State, home of tax free shopping!:halo::halo:

Per AARP:

Starting next year, TSA cannot accept some state driver’s licenses that don’t meet acceptable security standards.

Travelers, don’t say we didn’t warn you. Beginning in January 2018, driver’s licenses from some states may be rejected as a form of identification for boarding an aircraft.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA), while gradually implementing the REAL ID Act passed by Congress in 2005, has announced that starting next year it cannot accept some state driver’s licenses that don’t meet acceptable security standards.

Residents of nine states — Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Washington — may need to use a passport or some other government-approved identification unless their driver’s licenses are changed by next year. Other states have been granted extensions while they prepare to comply with the requirement.

Signs have been placed near checkpoints in some airports to notify passengers of the changing requirements.

“This doesn’t mean that people will be told, ‘Hey, you can’t fly,’” a TSA spokesman said on Wednesday. “You’ll just have to have another form of ID.”

Some states have raised privacy concerns, saying the ID requirements may produce information on individuals that can be compiled in a national database. “This is a game of intimidation being played out between Congress and the federal government and state governments, with ordinary citizens being squeezed in the middle,” Edward Hasbrouck of the Identity Project, a privacy advocate, told the New York Times in December.

The REAL ID Act was based on recommendations of the 9/11 Commission to guard against terrorist attacks. Proponents say more stringent IDs may also ward off fraud and identity theft.

Nothing new, this been coming for 10 yrs. Gov't been delaying it and states been asking for delays since 2006. States that haven't issued new Driver's Licences are at fault. I'm sure will probably be extended again...

Per AARP:

... Some states have raised privacy concerns, saying the ID requirements may produce information on individuals that can be compiled in a national database.

That argument has never made a lot of sense to me. Our information is already compiled on countless databases, both public and private, so what information could possibly be produced that isn't already out there? Why does the thought of (yet another) national database get people so riled up?

Anyway, Kentucky shouldn't be on the non-compliant list anymore. Legislation was finally signed into law in March of this year, and the state will be granted (yet another) extension, until 2019, when they begin issuing compliant ID's.

Nonsense.

Driver Licenses that are not reflections of proof of citizenship say "NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR FEDERAL PURPOSES" on them. Same with Vermont, Wisconsin and Nevada.

Beyond that, they also are perfectly valid forms of identification. They simply don't comply with the REAL ID provisions.

Thanks for the info. I'm shocked Rhode Island is not on the list. We're pretty much last in everything except for beaches.

Gregg

I just renewed my license. They look quite different from in the past in order to meet the new standards.