Carnival Group Payment Problems.

pepperrn

I've read that some passengers for Carnival Group Lines (incl Cunard, P&O and Princess) have had an issue with payments overnight. This is one of the Cunard online statements:

"We have today identified an issue with a number of card payments made in relation to cruise bookings with Cunard between December 2016 and April 2017.

Due to an error by the third party payment processor, some guests may have had a second transaction processed. This is not as a result of a security breach and at no time has any personal information been compromised.

We will be contacting affected guests and in the meantime we would like to apologise sincerely for any inconvenience caused. We would also like to reassure those guests impacted that we are working with the payment processor to reverse these charges as quickly as we possibly can".

It might be prudent to double-check bank/credit card accounts I would suggest, if there is a chance it could apply to you, just to be on the safe side.

Edited by pepperrn
Text/font size

Yes I am one of those affected received an e-mail today from Princess. Unfortunately cannot check bank account online because since the Windows 10 update this week HSBC online banking doesn't work and they closed my local branch recently because everybody is using online banking except those using Microsoft Edge as a browser. Means I have to go over 8 miles to now my nearest HSBC to check my account. Time for a new bank account with another company I think.

Yes I am one of those affected received an e-mail today from Princess. Unfortunately cannot check bank account online because since the Windows 10 update this week HSBC online banking doesn't work and they closed my local branch recently because everybody is using online banking except those using Microsoft Edge as a browser. Means I have to go over 8 miles to now my nearest HSBC to check my account. Time for a new bank account with another company I think.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just install Firefox or Chrome?

Wouldn't it be simpler to just install Firefox or Chrome?

Why should I if HSBC cannot be bothered to get their online banking working with the latest Windows10/ Microsoft Edge then they aren't worth having my business.

Here too, but just a pre-authorisation and nothing actually taken from the bank. Could have done without the hour or so trying to work out what on earth had happened this morning with no success as it's a Saturday. Only just had Cunard's email.

It's certainly true that banks (all of them), treat you like an inconvenience if you use their branch. The only time I ever need to visit mine is if someone gives me an antiquated form of payment which I believe is called a "cheque" !

As for Cunard, I think they have debited (and credited back) £30 or so. My available balance appears to have gone down by about that amount (but a couple of other payments are pending, so it could equally be that)

I also received the email from Cunard and the charge is showing on my CC account at the moment (Sunday here) so hopefully it will clear up soon! Glad I saw the email first but still now have to check the account waiting for the amount to be credited back. (It may just be a pre-authorization at this point...will watch closely).

I knew that when I saw the email I would come straight to Cruise Critic and get more information and so glad you guys are here! :)

Had £400 pending transaction. Hasnt been taken from my account yet but still funds frozen so cant withdraw them. The bank says it has to be debited before they can reverse the payment and e-mail from cunard says the payment was reversed overnight but funds still not available as of today. What a farce

Had £400 pending transaction. Hasnt been taken from my account yet but still funds frozen so cant withdraw them. The bank says it has to be debited before they can reverse the payment and e-mail from cunard says the payment was reversed overnight but funds still not available as of today. What a farce

Same here Vera. £428 frozen in our account.

I had a L A R G E payment duplicated overnight, but then reversed, which is just as well as I would have gone into o/d and I do NOT do that.

Utter chaos.

Cunard says they will reimburse any bank charges if you email them proof

This is the latest statement on Cunard's website

"On Friday we were made aware of a one off technical error made by Elavon, our third party payment processor, in relation to card payments for cruise bookings with Cunard,. Refunds are already being processed and we are working with Elavon at the highest level to investigate how this happened and to ensure that this could not happen again. Any charges incurred by guests as a result of this issue will be refunded. Once again we apologise to those guests who were affected by this error."

I hope those of you affected can get things sorted out soon.

Sorry to hear you have been affected.

Is this only a problem for people who booked direct with Cunard ?

My booking was directly with Cunard and what they have done is debit the same amount as the last amount I paid them a few months ago. It's on my CC so it's not caused me any problems, but it would have done if it was on my debit card (i.e. current account).

It's bookings with travel agents too. Ours was on the debit card so have £428 tied up until it's gets sorted. Shouldn't be a problem for us, but very disappointed with the way Carnival are handling it. Need to own the problem rather than blame a third party. Have to say the reaction to the issue is a lot more civilized on the Cunard board than P&O :)