Muse Menus?

ernieb

We will be on our first SS cruise in August on the Muse. I've been reading all the discussions on dining on the various SS ships and am wondering how the menus on the Muse will compare to what I have seen reported for the other ships and what may be available on the Muse specific venues. Since there is no MDR on the Muse I don't guess we need to address that unless there is a specialty normally offered in the MDR that may be available in one of the specialty restaurants on the Muse. I have read that the menus in the specialty restaurants are the same every night. Is this correct?

• La Terrazza - This appears to be a very popular restaurant fleet wide. I have seen Osso Bucco mentioned as being very good on other ships, but have not seen it mentioned on the Muse. I do hope it is. I have also seen something called the "Signature Dish" mentioned, but have no idea what that is.
  • La Dame / Champaign - I understand that this is high-end French style dining. Are there any specialties that should not be missed? Is it worth the $60 pp Charge?
  • Kaiseki - Japanese grill $60 pp. I think I have read that the menu does not change and that the main course is the same every night. We have 2 nights reserved for each of the main restaurants. If there is no change to the main course, I don't think it would be worth a second $120. What do others think?
  • Indochine - Asian cuisine. I have read a review stating that all of the food is extremely spicy hot. I am a firm believer that food should not hurt. Is it possible to order dishes that are milder in temperature?
  • Atlantide - Steak and seafood. Are there specialties that should not be missed?
  • Silver Note - Jazz supper club serving small plates. Can you combine the plates as you would like? Can you reorder as much as you want? I understand the entertainment is very good here. I also understand that after the dining hours, the lounge stays open for the entertainment. I hope this is correct since it is on our deck and seems like a great venue for us to end an evening.

I know your excitement and how you want everything to be perfect. I don't think anyone is going to answer all your questions and make you feel at ease.

Just get on board and ask your butler or stop by and see the one of the restruant managers, geting any details your butler did not answer to your satisfaction. With all your questions I am sure you will figure it all out your first afternoon on board.

Make it an adventure...

Carefree, I'm not sure that's a fair response. I spend a great deal of time researching all aspects of the trips I take. The more i know about the hotels, countries, language, ships, cabins, trains, dining and airport layouts, the happier I am. Let me make this clear: It's part of the enjoyment i get out of travel. The planning, the anticipation, the research.... I love it. It doesn't mean if something is not the way i expect, i freak out. I've had spontaneous, seat-of-the-pants trips too and had fun.

I also understand that not everyone is like this.

ernie, I think that over time your questions will get answered. But the ship has just not been sailing long enough for the past-passenger number to reach the critical mass it needs to get a response.

Carefree, I'm not sure that's a fair response. I spend a great deal of time researching all aspects of the trips I take. The more i know about the hotels, countries, language, ships, cabins, trains, dining and airport layouts, the happier I am. Let me make this clear: It's part of the enjoyment i get out of travel. The planning, the anticipation, the research.... I love it. It doesn't mean if something is not the way i expect, i freak out. I've had spontaneous, seat-of-the-pants trips too and had fun.

I also understand that not everyone is like this.

ernie, I think that over time your questions will get answered. But the ship has just not been sailing long enough for the past-passenger number to reach the critical mass it needs to get a response.

Since you do so much research and you have been on the Muse. Why didn't you spend any time answering the OP questions rather than explaining how good your are?

Since you do so much research and you have been on the Muse. Why didn't you spend any time answering the OP questions rather than explaining how good your are?

My memory may be flakey .... but I believe Kate's first cruise with SS is planned for April 2018 on Muse. She didn't say that she was good, only that she like the OP enjoyed asking questions and researching and I thought was quite reasonably defending the OP's right to ask others for help. Obviously, if others do not wish to help, or are unable to, then they can obviously simply ignore the request.

She was simply defending the OP's request for help and illumination with answers to the specific questions asked which seemed perfectly reasonable to me.

Well, bless your heart. What Jeff said.

Well, bless your heart. What Jeff said.

Kate ...... I have just noticed your "footer" actually made it very clear that you were contemplating your first SS cruise on Muse next year ......... you couldn't really have been clearer. Still. :)

I'm of your school. Informed spontaneity. There is nothing worst than getting to the end of an adventure and wishing you knew at the start what you knew at the end! Such a waste. You want to know what all the good stuff is.

I think with the new concepts and all the uncertainties so far expressed about Muse, any first hand info will be helpful and Ernie's initiative in starting the thread seems like something that might be a useful pooled thread that others add to help those that follow ....... including you!

Ernie.....l can't answer all your questions as I didn't dine in all the venues on the Muse but here's just a wee taste of what l experienced.

La T....very popular and yes the Osso Bucco is on the menu along with the signature dish you mentioned which is the Duck Ragu and quite delicious.

I personally prefer La T on the Spirit as l find it more cosy than the Muse particularly at dinner time....however, the buffet lunch is excellent and much better.

Atlantide was my favourite with a lovely ambience and the menu quite extensive....no specialties as such but the tomato soup with meatballs seemed to be a great favourite along with the best lamb cutlets l have ever had.

We found that we could chop and change accompaniments in there with the sides.

The bar in here was very popular pre dinner!

Silver Note has a great atmosphere but l struggled with the menu as its unlike the equivalent venue on the Spirit with most dishes served carpaccio.....not to my taste at all and following a very stressful altercation with the sommelier in there l retired without eating.

The small bar area in this restaurant was always full and yes you can enjoy the evening in there after dining hours.

You didn't mention The Grill/Hot Rocks.......we dined here twice, first time excellent but on the second occasion service was dire with attitude and they ran out of steaks which delayed to the point of becoming past hungry.

It was also cold as there are no heaters although blankets are provided.

The friends l were with dined at all the other venues and reports were very good....and told me that in Indochine one can ask for less spice.

I read somewhere on the board that one can order food from any venue no matter where one dines but this was not what l experienced although this may have changed since the inaugural.

Hope this helps a little toward your excitement, she is a lovely ship and I'm sure you will have a wonderful voyage.....don't forget that you can always order off menu giving notice via your butler or the MD's should you need to do so.

Sophia ☺️

I do agree with Sophia that she is a lovely ship and we found all the spaces really great. The Arts cafe is a really good addition. We would retire there after breakfast to do our bit of wifi, download the newspaper and have a coffee prior to going ashore.

The restaurants are different on this ship but having said that I must stress that food is subjective and what one person likes does not necessarily suit all. I agree that Atlantide is excellent. It's a spacious elegant room, the bar is cosy and welcoming and it suits people dressed appropriately for a smart night out. However we were on a 12 day cruise and ate there 4 times. By that time we were tired of the menu. Had we been on a back to back or extended voyage we would not have been happy. We would like to see SS change the menu maybe once a week. I'm sure they could design a series of menus that could create more variety and still allow the kitchen ease of prep and knowledge. The same goes for all the restaurants as as far as we could see all menus were the same. Indochine was in our observation the least popular offerings of the main restaurants ( don't really count the Pizzaria). It was certainly easy to get into. The curries were ok, for us not overspiced but the food was not always served as hot as it should be. La Terrazza was similar to the other ships but the menu once again didn't change at all. I agree with Sophia that at lunch time the buffet is outstanding offering many and varied choices from day to day. The fact that it was different each day made a welcome change from the evening offerings.

We enjoyed Silver Note and found the food interesting, though not so that we wanted to go back. One evening with the singer was also enough though there were people who found her excellent. Also the sommeliers throughout the ship were for us very cooperative and found us some great wines to drink from the complimentary list. I won't name the wines as they were to our personal taste and might not suit everyone.

We ate on deck twice, once where we froze under blankets and once on a gorgeous sunny evening. The steaks we were provided with were superb. We ate in La Dame once, excellent food well served and enjoyed. I did meet people in my Trivia group who had a disastrous evening there with cold food, tough meat and poor service but that was not our experience.

Generally speaking there is little to fault in the layout of the ship. The outside decks are superb and spacious. Behind the panorama lounge was full most nights ( and there are overhead heaters there, very welcome on a chilly evening) and many people chose to have a pre dinner drink there as the bar is a bit cavernous and dark. The pool deck is really comfortable for both those who wish to lie basking in the sun or swim and those that require a shady area with comfortable chairs and settees.

I think this is a great addition to the SS fleet and I'm sure it will be a great success when a few wrinkles are ironed out.

Jane

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We will be on our first SS cruise in August on the Muse. I've been reading all the discussions on dining

Very interesting questions. We will be on the Muse late September, and will be watching this discussion closely. Thanks.

Ernie.....l can't answer all your questions as I didn't dine in all the venues on the Muse but here's just a wee taste of what l experienced.

Sophia ☺️

I do agree with Sophia that she is a lovely ship and we found all the spaces really great.

I think this is a great addition to the SS fleet and I'm sure it will be a great success when a few wrinkles are ironed out.

Jane

Thank you both for such detailed first hand experience on a brand new ship. We are looking forward to our own experience come late September. meow!

Thank you Ms. Sofia:D

This is exactly the type of info I'm looking for.

I'm very glad to know they have the Osso Bucco. It is one of my favorites which I order whenever available, but what I get out is never as good as what my DW makes at home.

I'm also glad to hear we can order less spice in Indochine.

If you can order off the menu, would that be in any of the restaurants and how does it work? I assume you need to give probably a day's notice. Its also interesting that you can't order from another restaurant's menu, but you can order items that are not on the menu of the restaurant you are in.

Hello Jane.

Thank you so much for your response:D.

I am also concerned about the menus not changing, particularly in Kaisecki where I've heard the main course is the same each night. We will also be on a 12 night cruise and were planning to eat at each of 6 restaurants twice. If the main course doesn't change, I'm sure I won't be paying another $120 for the same meal.

If you can order off the menu, would that be in any of the restaurants and how does it work? I assume you need to give probably a day's notice. Its also interesting that you can't order from another restaurant's menu, but you can order items that are not on the menu of the restaurant you are in.

Ernie......if you wish for a particular dish in a particular restaurant that's not on that menu then a quick word with the MD giving a days notice should produce......I was also told that some dishes from the restauarant menus will soon be available for regular room service.

If you wish to dine in suite ..off menu... then have a chat with your butler.... again giving a days notice and there should be no problem.

Pleased to be of help

S ☺️

I do agree with Sophia that she is a lovely ship and we found all the spaces really great. The Arts cafe is a really good addition. We would retire there after breakfast to do our bit of wifi, download the newspaper and have a coffee prior to going ashore

Jane

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for filling in the gaps Jane......The Arts Cafe was one of my favourite places too and l found the snacks on offer in there very good.

S ☺️

Thanks MissSophia and mjnvoyager for wonderful gustatory details about the Muse menus. And thanks ernieb for starting this useful Muse thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will upload in pdf format the menus in a couple of weeks. Will be interesting to see if they are the same each and every week without any changes or not.

I'll look out for the Arts cafe - I'd not heard of that mentioned before.

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering a future Silver Muse cruise and wondered if the "Always Available" menu options in the MDR which we recently had on the Silver Spirit can be ordered in the Indochine and Atlantide restaurants as an alternative to the set menu.

Or maybe they should change the name of one of the restaurants to "Always Available."

We can always rely on you wripro! Lol

Ate last night in indochine.... it's plain daft as Masterecho said that this is the largest. There couldn't have been more that 30 people in there (out of 180 places)

Food was excellent and needless to say the service was too.

That said, I could happily eat here every night.

This was last nights offering.... good enough to eat :-)

3d48118b51271e520e95c96004512cd2.jpg

b6e8248a5885251720afad4c7853c505.jpg

0a01fd1309f8e7d0da9f17da810949a6.jpg

e7b4f10bf3afb13ddd9c72b9f7fa180f.jpg

I'll attach a pdf of the vehicle indochine in the next post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk