Floatplane Accident In Ketchikan/Misty Fjords

Chenega

We flew float planes twice on our recent trip. Once to Victoria with Harbour Air while we were in Vancouver....and then the Taku Lodge Glacier trip. In the back of your mind, you always think "what if"......heck, I do that with commercial flights! Just thankful all are okay and did not sustain life threatening injuries. How terrifying for all involved! Would I still fly? Absolutely! Our flight around Denali with glacier landing was cancelled due to weather....but we hope someday to return and experience that!

I'm going to ask my question again for which there has not been any response thus far.

Float planes have life jackets? Where are they located? Are they under the seats as they are on larger planes that fly over bodies of water?

I am an interested purchaser of such a float plane trip from Juneau.

I'm going to ask my question again for which there has not been any response thus far.

Float planes have life jackets? Where are they located? Are they under the seats as they are on larger planes that fly over bodies of water?

I'm going on that trip as well on July 7th (my 70th birthday). I joked with my wife I hope they dry the plane off by the 7th. She didn't find it funny.

Exact location varies as floatplanes are very customisable but within arms reach, always. The biggest issue with floatplane crashes is having to get out fast while you are already taking in water (or, since it's quite possible to flip them while landing if something goes pearshaped, upside-down and under water!)

This is why good safety briefings - which every competent pilot will offer you before takeoff - include knowing where the exit is relative to your knee (even upside down, a door next to your right knee is still next to your right knee), where your PFD is, and strongly reminding you that activating it before you get out of the aircraft is the worst possible thing you could do - if you're underwater already you'll float up into the air bubble inside the cabin and it will be nigh-impossible to get yourself out...

Edit - the most useful basic floatplane passenger safety guide I've come across.

You need to find this information out when you get on the plane. A safety briefing will be given with the information.