Question about Wasilla

rgmacm

It has become our tradition to watch a sunset on the last night of our vacations... It's a symbolic thing...;) peaceful...reflective... it's a perfect way to end a vacation... :)

Our original plan was to fly out of Anchorage at 12:30 am and catch a sunset on Cook Inlet before heading to the airport. THEN....our flight changed to 8:45...then 8:40...(Don't you just LOVE how airlines feel entitled to mess with your well-laid plans...ugh...) Anyway, the new time precludes a sunset that evening...so we'll need to see it in Wasilla the night before.

Where is a good place there (Wasilla) for viewing sunsets...we'd prefer to not drive too far though don't mind driving a little way out of town.

Where is a good place there (Wasilla) for viewing sunsets...we'd prefer to not drive too far though don't mind driving a little way out of town.

Hmmm.... There's several good options. Probably my top pick would be from the viewing tower at Reflection Lake. Drive south of Wasilla on the Glenn Highway to the Knik River Access just before the Knik River Bridge. Reflection Lake has a 1 mile loop path. The viewing tower is on the backside. Bring bug dope.

I misread the post......i thought it was something to do before catching the flight, in which case Girdwood is closer to the airport than Wasilla. But its the night prior to their departure, so Alyeska definitely not an option.

What month will you be there. Sometimes the sunset in Alaska can be very late!

August....and being the info-maniac that I am, ;) I've already found out the sunrise and sunset times for every place we will be....catered to the date we'll be there.... I am an 'over-planner on steroids....and I LIKE that about myself ha!! :D:D

Sunset will be around 9 pm so not too late...

...and Please everyone.... just ignore the other 'un-called for' post above... (NOT Coral's post....just fyi) so my thread won't be deleted by admins... I'm looking for multiple responses/suggestions for location options...

August....and being the info-maniac that I am, ;) I've already found out the sunrise and sunset times for every place we will be....catered to the date we'll be there.... I am an 'over-planner on steroids....and I LIKE that about myself ha!! :D:D

Sunset will be around 9 pm so not too late...

Sounds like you are covered!! Just glad you are there in August and not June :) Have a great trip. What a wonderful tradition!

Thank you for the suggestion...I've written it down....however, I'd still like more 'location options'..... (I never go anywhere without a PlanA....PlanB...and sometimes even a PlanC.... It's a character flaw I must live with...:D:D)

Btw...thank you to admins for deleting the rude post/responses....

I've already mentioned my favorite spot at Reflections Lake. If you want a hike to go with your viewing, the top of the Butte would give you a great view. Just bring a flashlight for the hike down. Another spot would be from the Palmer Hay Flats at the Cottonwood Creek access point.