Wishing for a better response from Cunard

Carnevale

We have just passed final payment (by 2 days) and I see that the price on our stateroom on the QE in Sept is now $442 pp less than what we are paying. My TA just talked to Cunard and to change our rate we would forfeit our total down payment plus our included gratuities which would wipe out the benefit of this savings.

On other lines I've heard of situations like this where the cruise line at least offered a little OBC to address the gap. But apparently Cunard doesn't do anything.

We understand that prices change and final payment locks us in so no need to point that out for us. We also understand that picking a time to book is always a risky business. We just expected at least some nod in response from Cunard as this difference is a significant amount of money. Knowing that others booking now are paying this much less does take some of the shine off of the experience.

I know there is nothing to be done but wanted to post this so others know that, unlike some other lines, Cunard is not flexible or responsive in any way to situations like this.

Yes, it is good that every prospective passenger know the terms and conditions of booking.

I can't tell you now many times the price of my cruise has been reduced after final payment, and no adjustment was made - and not just on Cunard. Frankly,

If you want to play chicken with any cruise line, wait until a month or less before sail date. Otherwise, as the saying goes, pay up or ...

Either way, don't expect a 'nod'.

I take a philosophical view of this circumstance. For me, it is much more important to book the stateroom/suite that I want than to save the money by waiting and "playing chicken" to get the best price. Those pax who are booking at the reduced rate after the final payment date generally are taking the leftovers in terms of the locations, and sometimes even the class, of cabin they can book for that reduced rate. So even though they are paying less, they are not getting the benefit, necessarily, of booking the precise accommodations they would prefer.

I would rather pay the earlier price and plan for my cruise secure in the knowledge that I got exactly what I paid for. Not saying there is anything wrong with taking your chances. If I did so, no doubt I could afford to cruise more often, so maybe I will try that approach after I retire. But for now, I only have the time to cruise once every couple of years, so I want to book precisely what I desire. Once I make that final payment, I never look at prices again. I just enjoy planning and anticipating.

I agree as to being satisfied with what we are paying and the cabin when we book. One time though, on another rise line, and after final payment, the price of a suite dropped to less than what we had paid for our balcony. We were able to switch to that cabin without any additional cost or loss of benefits.

I agree as to being satisfied with what we are paying and the cabin when we book. One time though, on another rise line, and after final payment, the price of a suite dropped to less than what we had paid for our balcony. We were able to switch to that cabin without any additional cost or loss of benefits.

That was a great outcome! It didn't cost the cruise line more and gave the customer a little something.

We have just passed final payment (by 2 days) and I see that the price on our stateroom on the QE in Sept is now $442 pp less than what we are paying. My TA just talked to Cunard and to change our rate we would forfeit our total down payment plus our included gratuities which would wipe out the benefit of this savings.

On other lines I've heard of situations like this where the cruise line at least offered a little OBC to address the gap. But apparently Cunard doesn't do anything.

We understand that prices change and final payment locks us in so no need to point that out for us. We also understand that picking a time to book is always a risky business. We just expected at least some nod in response from Cunard as this difference is a significant amount of money. Knowing that others booking now are paying this much less does take some of the shine off of the experience.

I know there is nothing to be done but wanted to post this so others know that, unlike some other lines, Cunard is not flexible or responsive in any way to situations like this.

I realise it's early on the Solent but where is the problem?

The basic price has dropped - okay, we all know that happens - but, on your own admission, you discover that by changing the booking you would loose any benefits gained from the original booking.

i.e. there is no pecuniary advantage.

Oh, but there is a $ difference. We would happily give that up the gratuities perk for the significantly lower price now on offer. The challenge is that Cunard demands we forfeit our full down payment to make the change and that is where the problem emerges as their requirement wipes out any benefit.

Surely you book early to obtain the best location or cabin that you want. You have the choice to wait and gamble on getting a lower price later, but you may not get the cabin you desire. I know it may be an American thing to get price drops, it's something us Brits neither get nor expect. If I wasn't happy at the time of booking, then I wouldn't book, simple. Certainly once I had booked, I wouldn't spend my days looking to see had the price dropped, and in any case the price hasn't dropped on your chosen cabin, because you already have it, and nobody else can book it.

Oh, but there is a $ difference. We would happily give that up the gratuities perk for the significantly lower price now on offer. The challenge is that Cunard demands we forfeit our full down payment to make the change and that is where the problem emerges as their requirement wipes out any benefit.

I'm afraid you are loosing me, you said in your OP..."plus our included gratuities which would wipe out the benefit of this savings. "

It would help if you clarified 'full down payment' which I'm certain folks interpret as being a 'deposit'.

Surely you book early to obtain the best location or cabin that you want. You have the choice to wait and gamble on getting a lower price later, but you may not get the cabin you desire. I know it may be an American thing to get price drops, it's something us Brits neither get nor expect. If I wasn't happy at the time of booking, then I wouldn't book, simple. Certainly once I had booked, I wouldn't spend my days looking to see had the price dropped, and in any case the price hasn't dropped on your chosen cabin, because you already have it, and nobody else can book it.

I can only agree with you Trevor.

I can never understand why folks who have committed themselves to a booking then become obsessed with seeing if they could have got it cheaper.

It then becomes a problem for them, well, most of them, as they then bear a grudge - usually with the cruise line - that effectively and eventually impacts on their overall enjoyment of said cruise.

Carnival is not a charity, it is run for the benefit of the shareholders who have put money in assuming that the company will maximise the return. As one such shareholder I'm not sure why I should donate any money to you having already committed to giving you what you wanted.

Carnival is not a charity, it is run for the benefit of the shareholders who have put money in assuming that the company will maximise the return. As one such shareholder I'm not sure why I should donate any money to you having already committed to giving you what you wanted.

Very succinct and very apt.

Another shareholder. :evilsmile::evilsmile:

It is a hard lesson but if a customer is happy to take pot luck and book later they may or may not be satisfied with what is on offer either in cabin availability or price. We have done it both ways. We are able to book at short notice now but that was not always the case. As others have said, in the UK we cannot book a cruise, pay a deposit and and cancel near time of full balance payment without losing out financially. We might not like it or might think that it is unfair but we have to lump it.

Late promotional fares are often restricted in some way. They usually are category guarantee with no choice of early or late seating. If you booked early and chose your stateroom - as well as your seating and table size - you cannot expect Cunard to let you keep those advantages yet give you the discounted price.

Another member outlined five things to keep in mind if somebody wants to play the last minute pricing game:

1) lowest price is your goal over and above any other consideration

2) you can accept a category guarantee with no choice of early or late dining

3) you can accept that the price can instead to go up instead of down. Or the ship sells out while you watch and wait

4) you are not tied to one sailing date

5) airfare is not an issue