Grand European Tour - how to setup on line blog - getting past wifi issues

Yosef90

i would like to do a daily blog w/photos to friends at home

or a best post to "facebook" w/photos each day

what wifi issues will i encounter and how to solve them

thank you

rdeal

Check out the Cruising Technology forum for more answers to this question.

IMHO, stick with something you know for your first attempt at blogging while you travel. If you are using something new, practice with it before you go.

Wifi is usually pretty good on a river cruise but there can be outages (you just learn to live with those). If you have problems, ask for help at the Explorer's desk.

Personally, I am not a fan of FB for blogging while I travel because it announces to the world that I am away from my home. No matter how hard you try, there just isn't much privacy on FB; just look at the number of posts that appear in your feed simply because your friend liked something.

Photoblog.com, on the other hand, allows you to set up an account with a pseudonym. A free account will allow you to post five pictures per day (which is really just right for not give your friends travel-blog fatigue). Check it out at https://www.photoblog.com.

Personally, I am not a fan of FB for blogging while I travel because it announces to the world that I am away from my home. No matter how hard you try, there just isn't much privacy on FB; just look at the number of posts that appear in your feed simply because your friend liked something.

Photoblog.com, on the other hand, allows you to set up an account with a pseudonym. A free account will allow you to post five pictures per day (which is really just right for not give your friends travel-blog fatigue). Check it out at https://www.photoblog.com.

Wow. Photoblog has had a real make-over in the past couple of years. I had stopped blogging there a couple of years ago but after writing the above post I decided that it was time to re-join. The daily maximum for free accounts is now 10 photos and website now has a much cleaner, modern look. Now I just have to figure out how to make it work from my smartphone.

I've used blogger.com. It allows you to upload photos and adjust their size. I'd suggest you set up your account and practice before your trip. Having sailed on Uniworld, the wifi was pretty good. You may have to go to a central location on the ship rather than your cabin to get a stronger signal. If you are going thru a lock or docked at a high dock, your signal may be weak or non-existent.

From our experience last year on Viking's Grand European Tour the wi-fi can be spotty to non-existent when the boat is moving. However, a good time to use the wi-fi is while the boat is traveling through one of the 60+ locks on your trip.