What is Hebridean

TWELVEOHONE

Can't answer your question exactly, but the Norwegian Coastal Voyage has changed its name to Hurtigruten, not Hebridian.

Based on its name, I presume Hebridian sails the Hebrides, and is probably based in Scotland.

• 3 weeks later...
I am sorry but I have never heard of this cruise lines.

I know of the Norwegian Coastal Cruise Line changed its name to something like this but not exactly the same

Hebridian is a luxury cruise line with two ships, Hebridean Princess which cruises the Scottish Highlands and Norway, and Hebridean Spirit which cruises further afield. They have a very nice website, www.hebridean.co.uk. I aspire to someday being able to afford to cruise with this company, its nice to see them on the boards and I would love to hear from anybody who has cruised with them.

• 2 weeks later...

I came across Hebridean a year or two ago whilst net-wandering. They're at the top of my "after I win the lottery (but first I need to start buying tickets!)" To-Do list.

camNaud - If you haven't sailed the line, how can you judge it? We've been fortunate enough to experience both Silversea and Seabourn, considered luxury small lines, and while they are significantly more costly than the mass market lines, they definitely proved 'worth-it' expenditures!

I came across Hebridean a year or two ago whilst net-wandering. They're at the top of my "after I win the lottery (but first I need to start buying tickets!)" To-Do list.

camNaud - If you haven't sailed the line, how can you judge it? We've been fortunate enough to experience both Silversea and Seabourn, considered luxury small lines, and while they are significantly more costly than the mass market lines, they definitely proved 'worth-it' expenditures!

Itsally,

I'm not judging Hebridean. I'm sure they would offer a fantastic experience and I can easily afford to sail with them without a lottery win. I just wouldn't want to spend that amount of money exploring somewhere so close to home. I know they also sail furher afield too, but I still can't see any justification why I would want to spend that much. For the same money Hebridean want, I can have my Rio to Lisbon and Far East cruises this year with the so called mass market lines. How unfortunate I am :p .........

.......... I hope that lottery win comes your way. ;)

• 1 month later...

I cruised on the Hebridean Spirit in October 2004 and loved the ship and the Scottish/British "experience". We were the only Americans onboard--everyone else was from the UK. We sailed the Greek Isles, and the fare included a charter flight to/from Greece. Hebridean is expensive for Americans, especially with the dollar to pound coversion rate; however, it is certainly a delightful cruise line. For example,

How many ships have you sailed on with their own bagpiper, who pipes away as he walks the decks during each sailaway?

We had a traditional Haggis ceremony on one of the formal nights!

After dinner entertainment was often a "sing-along" of British songs (familiar to all but us) in the lounge.

A "wee dram" of Scotch was served whenever we came back onboard from a shore ex and with oatmeal in the morning. (all drinks and shore ex are included)

Anyway, it's an almost unknown line in the USA, but most of our fellow passengers were repeat cruisers, many of them single travelers.

I hope all of you get the opportunity to sail with this wonderful small ship cruise line someday.

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much for the link to Hebridean, as I had a most enjoyable browse through their cruises to a wonderful selection of exotic destinations.

For a moment, I wished I was rich. In the meantime, I will continue to sail to exotic destinations with the likes of Norwegian Coastal Voyage, Alaskan Marine Highway, ferry to Orkney Islands, etc., with the locals.

Hi

Hebridean is a Scottish Company thay own two very small ships - they are based on country house hotels 98 guests the other 49

One carries 98 guests (50 staterooms) the other 49 (30 staterooms)

All the rooms are unique and the itineraries basedin Scotland, the Norway and the indian Ocean/South Africa

See their website wwww.hebridean.co.uk

Thanks so much for the link to Hebridean, as I had a most enjoyable browse through their cruises to a wonderful selection of exotic destinations.

For a moment, I wished I was rich. In the meantime, I will continue to sail to exotic destinations with the likes of Norwegian Coastal Voyage, Alaskan Marine Highway, ferry to Orkney Islands, etc., with the locals.

Yes, their website and brochures are wonderful to browse. I agree though, until I have a very special occasion I will continue with the more economical types of travel! If not for any other reason that once you've done this how could you go back??

Actually was just checking out their website, and considering that the cruise really is all inclusive (including shore excursions and flight to/from London), the pricing is not bad at all. Very comparable to Regent which is my current favored line.

Taking Seabourn as the point of reference, how does Hebridean compare ? Anyone out there travelled both ?

we are trying to decide between Seabourn and Hebridean for a cruise this autumn [our first ever] to the east Mediteranean and north Adriatic and would like to hear from anyone who has sailed on Hebridean Spirit?:confused:

Actually was just checking out their website, and considering that the cruise really is all inclusive (including shore excursions and flight to/from London), the pricing is not bad at all. Very comparable to Regent which is my current favored line.

That's what I was thinking. We've only done Regent, so these prices are not heartstoppers, and the ships get into little places that larger ones cannot.

This looks like the way to do the "distillery tour" of the islands my husband and I have discussed. :)

No Unfortunately The RY Brittania was de-commisioned some years ago and taken out of Royal service , due to the fantasic costs of keeping it afloat for Royal family use only. They must all miss it greatly? Tough Old Life. isnt it?

It is now in Dry-Dock in Scotland and open to the public as a tourist attraction!

I am informed that it is like a miniture Royal Palace! with every conceivable luxury possible on board.

However, I think it was about two years ago HRH Queen Elizabeth and many members of the Royal family , Chartered one of the Hebridean Ships for their exclusive use, when they Cruised around the Scotish Islands for theri Summer Holiday'

Something they used to do each Year when the RY Brittania was in active Royal service.

• 2 weeks later...
I was under the impression that your Queen had her own boat. ;)

Well she did before that nasty Mr Blair made her sell it:mad: I think they should let her have another one. The RY is a lovely vessel and I think it is a shame that she is now docked as a tourist attraction.

The Queen works really hard promoting this country and she deserves her little luxuries. She is over 80 now and still working - not something I think most of us would want to be doing and yes I know she is fabulously rich etc. etc. etc. but I am a Royalist and would much prefer my money to go on the Queen than on the leeches in parliament who are elected to govern us and who all make a mint whilst doing so - why should we have to pay for Gordon's lightbulbs!!!

Anyway, rant over - the Queen took a Hebridean cruise to celebrate her 60th (Diamond) wedding anniversary. She chartered the whole ship and took all her family with her sailing round Scotland and she paid for it herself. These ships are really luxurious and I would love to go on one.

• 1 month later...

hi, just wanted to chime in with my two cents. Hebridean indeed hosted the Queen (Hebridean Princess) a couple of years back. And yes, you can tour the Britannia -- check out our port profile for Leith (Edinburgh) for details. Fantastic! One of the interesting tidbits is that all the cabins have twin beds save for that of Prince Charles, who after marrying Diana asked to have a double installed. It is still there, if I recall correctly.

We have a review of Hebridean Princess (go to: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews) and search for it. It is one of two ships in the fleet and focuses primarily on the UK. Hebridean Spirit, the other, cruises in Europe and elsewhere -- stay tuned for an October report.

I will start a thread soon to ask people what they want to know about Hebridean Spirit before I go -- so think of some questions! Trip is to Italy-Croatia....

Best,

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic