LIVE -- Insignia, August 16, 2015

What A Market

So, I haven't been a very faithful servant when it comes to keeping up this live thread.

First off, thank you again to everyone on their well wishes directed to Shannon.

So today was Lisbon. Not a long stay in this port. Docked early at 7:00AM (ugh) and all aboard was 2:30PM. I planned a private tour with a motorcycle sidecar company. It was a blast tearing thru the cities on motorcycles. One person in the sidecar and one person sitting behind the driver. Great way to get an overview of the city.

I will post more on tours later.

Pool side was packed when we were pulling out of port. Quiet now that we are at sea. I've attached a photo above. (Again, I hope.)

Weather has been damn near perfect the whole trip. I was worried it would be blazing hot everywhere when I picked August for booking a cruise. Definitely not the case -- temps in the 70's and low 80's for the most part. We had some rain later in the afternoon while in Porto yesterday. Wind picked up as well and the temperature really dropped. This made for some higher seas for the first time. The Sickness Bags made their first appearance. (Have to the love the French language. Sickness Bag translates to Sachet Mal de Mer. Love it! Doesn't sound like something you throw up into. Ha!)

Side benefit of higher seas: Specialty Restaurants are very quiet. Tables for everyone!

Ok, Photobucket App is not cooperating. No photo upload for the moment. If paid more attention to Don Horner's instructions on uploading photos, I wouldn't be having this problem.

Edited by What A Market

What a pity that you had so little time in one of my absolute favorite cities. We had a cruise about 10 years ago that had a similar amount of time in Cadiz but NEVER so little time in Lisbon. What a travesty.

I'm glad you had a good tour ...

Mura

5CE4D579-C591-4C87-92EB-7D186FA586A3-3060-000003C56777959C.jpg

079D21B2-4F1E-4492-B626-EC3A6A35E449-3018-000003B9D6C7F9F0.jpg

Ok, Photobucket App cooperating, so here are a couple of pool side photos from our quiet afternoon after leaving Lisbon. One photo is of Waves Bar. The other is a view of the hot tubs and pool.

It was a perfect day to be poolside.

Crisis onboard! We ran out of blueberries this morning at Terraces. There was a brief attempt at a mutiny. Two very brave servers behind the food line attempted to quell. I'm not sure if they both survived.

What is it about blueberries that incites such passion? (As noted earlier, I'm more of a strawberry man.) These same people hurling invectives around probably don't eat blueberries at any time when at home. Such is life.

The people that have responsibility for provisioning the ship with foodstuffs have a heck of a job. I can only marvel at what the logistics must entail.

I thought I would post some thoughts on comparing Oceania's R class ships to Celebrity's M class ships. I sailed on Celebrity's Infinity during the summer of 2013. I think it was 12 nights. I'm on Oceania's Insignia now (obviously) for 11 nights.

Some quick facts, which I hope I state correctly:

Oceania Insignia built in 1999. Celebrity Infinity built in 2001.

Insignia refurbished in 2014. Infinity "Solsticized" in November 2011. As such, each ship went thru its major refurbishment pretty close to my sailing experience.

Insignia carries 684 passengers. Infinity carries 2170.

Insignia -- I'm in an OS suite. Infinity-- I was in an RS suite.

As to the comparison, I have to say that Oceania's overall quality and care of the Insignia seems to far surpass what Celebrity committed to the Infinity. Specific to our upper end suites, there is almost no comparison. Maybe Celebrity didn't commit as much money to refurbishing the suites, but the bathrooms were only in average shape (lots of missing grout, some mold, cheaper fixtures); the furniture was looking mildly worn; and the balcony was really beat down. Remember, I was on the Infinity less than 18 months after the Solsticization.

The OS suite on the Insignia is immaculate. Even though I am not a fan of the style/look of the furniture-- it is in perfect shape. As for the bathroom, you could eat off of every surface. The balcony condition and furniture looks like it was refurbished yesterday.

I know people will say that Oceania charges a significant premium over Celebrity. I guess this is true, but it is interesting the gap in quality when comparing the high end suites.

Sitting in Heathrow after morning flight from Barcelona. Heading home to Phoenix.

I will post some more thoughts from cruise, but here are some quick comments on Barcelona.

Disembarkation was a breeze. Probably made easier because (a) we were the only ship in port and (b) we were staying overnight and didn't need to rush off.

Walked off ship at 8:55am. Went thru passport control and found bags in all of five minutes. I booked private transportation prior to cruise thru BCN Travel (found on Ports section of Cruise Critic). This wasn't necessary as cabs were in abundance and no lines. More importantly, BCN Travel only coordinates cabs anyway. Probably wasted some Euros on that arrangement.

We stayed overnight at the Cotton House. This is a new Marriott Autograph property; opened in February of this year. Absolutely great stay. Fantastic staff and room. The hotel itself is an amazing piece of architecture. I highly recommend.

Just started in Barcelona and we had a lively meet and greet. At the evening entertainment, the cruise director told us about the special programming.

There are two enrichment lecturers. The first one was about Nefertiti. Plus there is a stargazer who'll be doing programming inside and out (we need to wait for the darkening of the moon). The emphasis seems to be Arabic constellation names.

There is an artist loft, cut out of Horizons. An artist had just boarded. Two classes a day.

There are two bridge teachers - classes on sea days for beginners and advanced, plus social and duplicate bridge games.

In Horizons they have a iPad "jukebox" for dancing. Plus the band and the string quartet and the Martini bar pianist. It seems that stitchery is popular too - quite a crowd while we were having our M&G.

Yesterday there was a cooking demo. Trivia. Etc!

Leslie Jon joins as CD in Civitavecchia.

Hi Jim

Here are my thoughts on the Owners Suite as a comparison between the R class and O class ships. These thoughts are completely random.

1.) The OS on the R class ship is very nice and certainly more "approachable " when compared to the O class Owners Suite. The OS on the Marina/Riviera seem almost overindulgent. (If such a thing is possible. Ha!)

2.) Vibration in the OS from most aft location on Insignia (R class ship) much more noticeable than on Riviera (O class). Seems logical, I guess, given relative ages of the ships.

3.) Trying to keep the temperature steady and comfortable in the OS on the Insignia was a real challenge. Very often the temp would get too warm, even when we weren't adjusting thermostats. (There are two thermostats -- front living room and bedroom, which nevertheless is nice.) I don't remember this being a problem on the Riviera. Also of note, the A/C noise was very pronounced in the OS on the Insignia. The butler had some engineers worke on it the first day. Helped, but still noisy. (Living in Scottsdale, Arizona makes me somewhat of an "expert" on air conditioning. )

4.) Speaking of butlers, our butler on the Insignia (Bogdan) was wonderful. Extremely warm-hearted and yet gracious. As usual with butlers, we didn't keep him busy, so he felt a bit out of sorts with us. The butlers handling the Owners Suites for Oceania must be some of the best on the seas.

5.) Our relative deck location on the Insignia and Riviera were the same. One floor between us and the outdoor patio of Terraces (also most aft location). The noise from chairs being moved around in Terraces in the early AM much more pronounced on the Riviera.

6.) No walk in closets on the Insignia. Three very large wardrobes. If it were me, I would convert one wardrobe to all shelves and drawers. Having two very large walk in closets in the Riviera was awesome. Extravagant, but awesome.

7.) The living room area and bedroom on the Insignia are separated only by a curtain. Interesting for the largest suite on the ship. On the Riviera they are separated by your foyer that also holds the bar, the piano, and the entrance to your second full bath. Definitely reflects how tastes (demands) have changed over time and how ship designers changed to accommodate. (Not sure who was demanding the baby grand piano though. Ha!)

8.) I missed having the second full bath on the Insignia. I get up fairly early in the morning and getting ready in a half-bath, so DW can continue sleeping, is not quite what I'm looking for. (Seems funny making comments like this when you're talking about being on a cruise ship.)

Probably lots more to compare. I may post more on the subject later. Please feel free to ask any questions or make any comments.

Edited by What A Market

Hi Jim

Here are my thoughts on the Owners Suite as a comparison between the R class and O class ships. These thoughts are completely random.

1.) The OS on the R class ship is very nice and certainly more "approachable " when compared to the O class Owners Suite. The OS on the Marina/Riviera seem almost overindulgent. (If such a thing is possible. Ha!)

2.) Vibration in the OS from most aft location on Insignia (R class ship) much more noticeable than on Riviera (O class). Seems logical, I guess, given relative ages of the ships.

3.) Trying to keep the temperature steady and comfortable in the OS on the Insignia was a real challenge. Very often the temp would get too warm, even when we weren't adjusting thermostats. (There are two thermostats -- front living room and bedroom, which nevertheless is nice.) I don't remember this being a problem on the Riviera. Also of note, the A/C noise was very pronounced in the OS on the Insignia. The butler had some engineers worke on it the first day. Helped, but still noisy. (Living in Scottsdale, Arizona makes me somewhat of an "expert" on air conditioning. )

4.) Speaking of butlers, our butler on the Insignia (Bogdan) was wonderful. Extremely warm-hearted and yet gracious. As usual with butlers, we didn't keep him busy, so he felt a bit out of sorts with us. The butlers handling the Owners Suites for Oceania must be some of the best on the seas.

5.) Our relative deck location on the Insignia and Riviera were the same. One floor between us and the outdoor patio of Terraces (also most aft location). The noise from chairs being moved around in Terraces in the early AM much more pronounced on the Riviera.

6.) No walk in closets on the Insignia. Three very large wardrobes. If it were me, I would convert one wardrobe to all shelves and drawers. Having two very large walk in closets in the Riviera was awesome. Extravagant, but awesome.

7.) The living room area and bedroom on the Insignia are separated only by a curtain. Interesting for the largest suite on the ship. On the Riviera they are separated by your foyer that also holds the bar, the piano, and the entrance to your second full bath. Definitely reflects how tastes (demands) have changed over time and how ship designers changed to accommodate. (Not sure who was demanding the baby grand piano though. Ha!)

8.) I missed having the second full bath on the Insignia. I get up fairly early in the morning and getting ready in a half-bath, so DW can continue sleeping, is not quite what I'm looking for. (Seems funny making comments like this when you're talking about being on a cruise ship.)

Probably lots more to compare. I may post more on the subject later. Please feel free to ask any questions or make any comments.

What deck on the Insignia were you on?

We have been on deck 7 and 8. On deck 8(which is right below the terrace) , we could hear the chairs being set up in the early A.M but not on deck 7.

On the marina we were in an Oceania suite aft directly below the terrace, and the noise in the early A.M. was quite annoying...much worse than the Insignia. After a few complaints it subsided, but that may be because the weather on our British Isles cruise was NOT good, and they stopped putting out the chairs on the terrace.

Richard

We were on Deck 7. Occasionally we could hear chairs scrapping around in Terraces. Not as noticeable as on the Riviera. (We were on Deck 10 for that cruise.) As noted previously, both are two decks below Terraces. I think being one deck below Terraces would drive DW crazy. Me, not so much. I'm usually up between 6:00 and 6:30.

We were on Deck 7. Occasionally we could hear chairs scrapping around in Terraces. Not as noticeable as on the Riviera. (We were on Deck 10 for that cruise.) As noted previously, both are two decks below Terraces. I think being one deck below Terraces would drive DW crazy. Me, not so much. I'm usually up between 6:00 and 6:30.

Tom, I believe that that was the cruise where we were your upstairs neighbors. Please don't tell me that you still felt that you heard noise from deck 12 on that trip.

• 7 months later...
Seriously - someone came in sweatpants and a t-shirt to the Captain's reception? At what club is that "country club casual?" It should not be countenanced. Period.

Donna

The upcoming Sydney to tahiti leg on Insignia being our first cruise on Oceania,

I'm a bit vague as what to expect for dining attire in MDR-or at events like Captains receptions,etc as noted here. Baring obvious slobs like you mention,

is there some latitude given for lighter attire in the tropics? Are men expected to always wear sport coats to MDR for dinner at a minimum? I'm used to Hawaii dressy where for instance an especially nice tropical shirt (I have a new one costing about $300!)certainly is meant to wear at better places than the buffet! Obviously I expect to pack a sport coat for wear in the "down under" part of the trip-Sydney, Tasmania,NZ but in S.Pacific it seems classy tropical shirts are certainly respectable (they pass where I live at Jupiter CC!). I do note in all Oceania's ad pictures, the models all look pretty

dressed up with coats and cocktail dresses,etc. in various settings. I don't like to pack too much baggage to haul unnecessarily as a major concern. I can't imagine what you do on a full 180 day booked voyage.

Exactly right. Many people new to Oceania assume that "country club casual" means men need a tie and jacket (not necessarily a suit), but that isn't the case. Sure, some men DO wear a sports jacket ... and attire may be a bit dressier in the specialty restaurants (especially La Reserve on Marina and Riviera), but jackets aren't required. It's up to the man to decide if he wants to bother with a jacket or not.

However, sweat pants and a t-shirt to the captain's reception ... I shudder. Do this person even notice that he stuck out like a sore thumb? I wonder.

Mura